Obscure TV shows you remember

Remove this Banner Ad

The US of A has the Game Show Network.

Bring that here media folk.
Some of the ones ive liked over the years: Sale of the century, family feud, wheel of fortune, supermarket sweep, catchphrase, price, jackpot..? The one with the "whammies". Kids game shows: double dare, amazing, vidiot.

Deal or no deal was good. But i only ever tuned in for the final 5 mins, thats all that was really required tbh. Suppose you could say that about any GS tho..

Not available in Australia unfortunately
it is if you've got unblocker like used to work for Netflix ;)

source - I've got it working on my android tv

game show central is pretty cool, but the dedicated price is right channel is awesome

About ten years ago on the ABC there were two English TV shows that were ‘twinned’. Show #1 was a Home and Away style soap opera, but Show #2 was a drama about the actresses, actors, crew and writers of Show #1.

Each week they’d show an episode of Show #1 followed by an episode of Show #2 about the making of that episode.

It was a bit trippy and never really worked. All I can remember is it had Ben Miller and Martine McCutcheon.

Some of the ones ive liked over the years: Sale of the century, family feud, wheel of fortune, supermarket sweep, catchphrase, price, jackpot..? The one with the "whammies". Kids game shows: double dare, amazing, vidiot.

Deal or no deal was good. But i only ever tuned in for the final 5 mins, thats all that was really required tbh. Suppose you could say that about any GS tho..

Press Your Luck.

Dont Forget Your Toothbrush

HATED that show and Tim Ferguson with a passion

i dont understand, well two things
1) why classic simple format game shows like sale of the century and price is right are not still made
2) why one of the tv stations dont have a multi channel which just plays old quiz shows, be good to watch supermarket sweep and price is right and see that a can of peas cost 49 cents etc

presumably they would think Sale of the Century is too boring/basic, and Price is Right costs too much (with the multiple games) and having a large enough studio space? Let's try to forget the most recent Price is Right that was sponsored by Big W.

would be interesting to know how much footage of old game shows etc are in "the vault"

HATED that show and Tim Ferguson with a passion

presumably they would think Sale of the Century is too boring/basic, and Price is Right costs too much (with the multiple games) and having a large enough studio space? Let's try to forget the most recent Price is Right that was sponsored by Big W.

would be interesting to know how much footage of old game shows etc are in "the vault"

TV execs here to adopt the less is more approach for game shows here.

In the US, shows with straightforward setups like Jeopardy have been going for 35+ years (vale Alex Trebek). Even The Price is Right has been going for close to 50 years (2022 will be the 50th anniversary).

Family Feud and Wheel of Fortune have been going for decades over there too.

If you can get a good host (ie not Grant Denyer) with a simple format, you’ve got yourself a classic.

About ten years ago on the ABC there were two English TV shows that were ‘twinned’. Show #1 was a Home and Away style soap opera, but Show #2 was a drama about the actresses, actors, crew and writers of Show #1.

Each week they’d show an episode of Show #1 followed by an episode of Show #2 about the making of that episode.

It was a bit trippy and never really worked. All I can remember is it had Ben Miller and Martine McCutcheon.
Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper? Agreed it was bizarre but an interesting concept nonetheless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indoor cricket and ten pin bowling during lunch cricket lunch breaks.

They used to show 18 foot skiff racing during the cricket lunch breaks too which was about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Does anyone remember Tricky Business? It was a short lived Australian drama with Shane Bourne and Gigi Edgely.

Ok obscure movie from my childhood.

The Man From Nowhere. Srsly does anyone else recall this or am i making stuff up. Have googled in the past to no avail. Actually ill ask my mum she might know- All i can recall is the title and the fact it was creepy af.

Anything else to go off?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back