Observations on internal issues?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's indulgent w***ery, put in place by a small group of political parasites who have set up shop within the club, and all paid for by YOU, the members.

Gender quota's are bulls**t. They can only serve to weaken an organisation, and we're an organisation that needs to squeeze every advantage from anywhere we can find it.
Gerry Harvey - King of Australia’s Buy Now Pat Later high interest purchasing.

You’ve found your knight in shining armour. Christ you’re an idiot.

Gerry Harvey - King of Australia’s Buy Now Pat Later high interest purchasing.

You’ve found your knight in shining armour. Christ you’re an idiot.

I am certain you are incapable of making any analysis without a heavy pre-existing bias polluting your logical processes with utter crap..

You would make a shithouse scientist.

Folks, this is a classical example of a person dominated by "feelz".

Gender quotas at work:

Retail billionaire Gerry Harvey, founder and chairman of the Harvey Norman chain, has blasted some of the custodians of the nation’s $2.8 trillion superannuation industry for their obsession with gender-diversity guidelines and “tick-a-box” mentality to corporate governance.

Mr Harvey said he was frustrated by super fund executives and their boards, so-called corporate governance experts and fellow travellers in the social corporate responsibility industry who were pressuring him to change his business practices, saying if he followed their guidelines Harvey Norman would “go backwards”. Rival retailers such as Myer and David Jones had slavishly adhered to the corporate governance orders laid down by these groups, he said, but their businesses were now paying the price, with his own Harvey Norman “beating the s**t out of them’’.

He said the nation’s two big department stores had diversity in the boardroom, with female directors and independent directors, but in most cases they weren’t even retailers.

“Myer and David Jones get all of that box ticking right according to corporate governance rules,’’ Mr Harvey said, “and super funds buy shares in them as they tick all the boxes.”

When asked about the pressure coming from super funds and corporate governance activists, Mr Harvey told The Weekend Australian: “I’ve never spoken to anyone yet that runs a public company, that started the public company, that doesn’t agree with me. Now I haven’t got any problem with these people having a view, but I’ve got the right to have a view too, and my argument is they are wrong and they don’t know they are wrong.

“They want me to toe the line … and that can be a big problem because they are not practical people. Our results speak for themselves over a period of 50 years.’’

Those results were on display yesterday when Harvey Norman posted a 7.2 per cent increase in full-year net profit to $402.32 million at a time when most retailers are struggling to grow profits.

David Jones on Thursday revealed its operating profit had almost halved to $37m.

Looking through some figures and I think comparing Harvey Norman to David Jones is foolish.

Djs is a local fashion department store with 47 stores across the country, and HN has 195 in aus and another 90 overseas. From that alone we can gather profits will be higher.

Djs is also in a different market space, one which is struggling anyway (that is, high fashion and designer). It's one of the few brick and mortar options for certain clothing and houseware labels, which is good, but margins for these types of items would be pretty restrictive.

Harvey's isn't where you go to get a nice set of cuff links or wine glasses, you go there to buy a sofa, or a washing machine. It's a market that requires brick and mortar presence, and can stand through tough times in retail.

Also they don't need to be in shopping malls to generate traffic like fashion stores do.

Djs is also owned by a south African parent company that specializes in fashion retailers that generates over 5 billion dollars in profit annually.

Both are completely different businesses with different goals and most certainly it's not the makeup of the board of directors that is holding back djs from profits of yesteryear. It's just that the market isn't there for their trade right now.

Last edited:

Looking through some figures and I think comparing Harvey Norman to David Jones is foolish.

Djs is a local fashion department store with 47 stores across the country, and HN has 195 in aus and another 90 overseas. From that alone we can gather profits will be higher.

Djs is also in a different market space, one which is struggling anyway (that is, high fashion and designer). It's one of the few brick and mortar options for certain clothing and houseware labels, which is good, but margins for these types of items would be pretty restrictive.

Harvey's isn't where you go to get a nice set of cuff links or wine glasses, you go there to buy a sofa, or a washing machine. It's a market that requires brick and mortar presence, and can stand through tough times in retail.

Also they don't need to be in shopping malls to generate traffic like fashion stores do.

Djs is also owned by a south African parent company that specializes in fashion retailers that generates over 5 billion dollars in profit annually.

Both are completely different businesses with different goals and most certainly it's not the makeup of the board of directors that is holding back djs from profits of yesteryear. It's just that the market isn't there for their trade right now.
Great post.

Typical Snake. Doesn’t use rational, analytical thought to back up his argument, AND then abuses anyone that questions his biased views. It’s hilarious that he accuses everyone else of doing the one thing he continues to do.

Observations on internal Bigfooty poster issues.

Great thread title and where does one start ? :p The over analysis on this board considering the season hasn't yet been completed is overwhelming . What you lot going to be like in January?

That's how you read it.
I'm glad for him and his employees that he's running a successful business, and he's completely right to fill his board with the most talented people available to him, but pointing at the composition of directors in an unrelated, struggling industry for an example of quotas not working is a bad call by him.
Nobody complains about it in my industry (hospo) because food and Bev will always have a market, as will furniture, electrical and whitegoods.

I'm glad for him and his employees that he's running a successful business, and he's completely right to fill his board with the most talented people available to him, but pointing at the composition of directors in an unrelated, struggling industry for an example of quotas not working is a bad call by him.
Nobody complains about it in my industry (hospo) because food and Bev will always have a market, as will furniture, electrical and whitegoods.

Look, you're smart enough to know that gender quotas are a less efficient model than best overall option scenarios, and that was my point.

It's indulgent w***ery, put in place by a small group of political parasites who have set up shop within the club, and all paid for by YOU, the members.

Gender quota's are bulls**t. They can only serve to weaken an organisation, and we're an organisation that needs to squeeze every advantage from anywhere we can find it.
Does the club apply gender quotas? Where is this stated?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is suspended, but I think there was something, somewhere, in a probably locked thread that we hoped to have a 40% female workforce
So it's in a thread on BigFooty as opposed to any official document or policy of the club?

(Not having a crack at you Spider, as you're just trying to shed some light on this).

So it's in a thread on BigFooty as opposed to any official document or policy of the club?

(Not having a crack at you Spider, as you're just trying to shed some light on this).

I can't remember exactly.

It was earlier in the season, probably when people were getting stuck into Laura Kane.

I think it was from the club, but IIRC, there was no set target, just a mission statement sort of thing. With the adding of our women's team we were not far from that % anyway.

Got Snake and a few others riled up, bigtime.

I can't remember exactly.

It was earlier in the season, probably when people were getting stuck into Laura Kane.

I think it was from the club, but IIRC, there was no set target, just a mission statement sort of thing. With the adding of our women's team we were not far from that % anyway.

Got Snake and a few others riled up, bigtime.
BIG difference between a "target" and a "quota"

Cheers Spidey.

There's an aspiration for a certain percentage of roles being filled by women.

Some of have interpreted this to mean all kinds of brilliant men have been turned away to cram any old woman into a role.

"Some" is perhaps overstating it.

Nah, there's a few folks. And hey, if folks buy a membership then they have as much say in how the joint looks as any other member.

But accuracy is vital.

Anyway, on topic, lots of internal change this year, and for the positive too, clean out and culture change required.

And out focus must be 100 per cent on winning a flag in the next few years. Next year if possible.

As I've said elsewhere, the off field stuff is sorted, we're not going anymore. Women's team can do its women team thing, I can't wait for their first game.

But onfield Round One in March - bang, no excuses.

Does the club apply gender quotas? Where is this stated?
We are 1 year into a 5 year Gender Equality Plan.

But Tef uses his rational, unbiased analysis to presume something completely different. The guy is a certified bigot.

Ah Gerry, great to see the foolish man still hasn’t changed.

He’s happy to gloat and mention the 7% profit increase (which is primarily driven by his overseas stores, not Australia), just to get his views across, but conveniently ignores the 17% drop in profit last year 😂 in his argument.

Also did he just compare HN to a department store!? Lol DJ and MYER are struggling bc of the the clothing industry you wank.

I had to do two case studies on this bloke while I was at Uni. My favourite one is basically how he refused to pass on savings to aussies when the AUD was high, but then started crying and lobbying the government when aussies turned to buying online instead 😂😂. Eventually he set up an online store... registered in Ireland lol.

If you want to know more go check out his attempt to strongarm Apple a few years ago 😂😂

He’s gold

With that said, ‘gender quotas’ are plain simple dumb. There are much better ways to help promote and achieve gender diversity.

At the moment we’re focusing on education, ensuring equipment and processes can be used by both males and females and my favourite: we wait until there are an equal number of female applicants for a job opening, and then simply interview everyone fairly. If there isn’t enough then we advertise wider until there is.

These three steps have been working great for us and I can’t see why other companies and sporting clubs are blinding progressing with damaging quotas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back