Observations on internal issues?

Remove this Banner Ad

Archer is a great guy but has always been a simpleton. If we get an old player on the board or in a position of power, they need to be intelligent and articulate.

Adam Simpson always struck me as level headed and articulate, what's he up to these days?

This. Surely there is agitation in the Coteries. We need a group to come forward with an alternative to the current board, and soon. The membership looks like its ready to back the move.
Does the club have coteries or is it just the one coterie?

And whoever is the main (or only) coterie, what kind of weight do they carry? What influence do they have?

The way our club is going, wouldn't surprise me if the coterie president is besties with Brads Scotts.

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Not sure if this is right thread to post this in - after all, there are more or less four threads devoted to the removal of the head coach - but just wanted to start us thinking about the means by which he is replaced.

I think we've moved on from the whether and the why he should be replaced, so some thoughts on best way to achieve it in a practical way.

As our chairman and board are comparatively low profile, lack gravitas in the public sphere and have said nothing so far on these issues, I think rather than just bunkering down until they bow to the inevitable and firing him without warning, there is a better approach. One that enhances their leadership credentials and reputations, pressures Scott to walk, maintains our financial position and doesn't set the new guy up to fail.

I think they should commission a formal review of the football department led by someone with impeccable credentials who is not a NM person - ie Paul Roos or similar. The review should be the full 360 degree review - taking into account the views or players, supporters, staff and any other stakeholders deemed important enough.

This will send the right message to supporters and create at least the appearance of due process towards the current coaching staff. This could be announced post the Carlton game. My assumption is we lose to Port relatively badly and probably lose to Carlton. I think the timing of this announcement is still OK if we beat Carlton - let's face it, it won't be by much if that occurs.

We give Roos or whoever two months or so to come back, which takes us into early July. Of course it will come back with negative findings towards Scott. By this time the board will be in self preservation mode with possible rumblings of a reform ticket far from a distant possibility. The most negative parts of the review can be selectively leaked to various journos (How much would Caro love to receive them?) ramping up the pressure for Scott to go. Short of a dramatic on-field reversal of fortune, his position would then become pretty much untenable. Board members can conduct meetings with potential replacements in highly public cafes to increase pressure if needed tipping off media in advance. The end game, of course, is that he walks ... then the rest of the football department fall like dominos. Ultimately, the findings of the review could be used to formally sack him, but that carries with it financial issues that we all want to avoid.

We then move to appoint an interim coach for rest of season, if that's the route we want to take, or a caretaker and appoint permanent replacement for 2020 season. I will leave it to those who know more about the game and potential candidates to opine on the best choice.

Having at least provided a semblance of due process and leveraging the reputation of a Roos or someone similar, the new guy can at least breathe easy that this is not a Mickey Mouse outfit that fires people on a whim (not that any of us would describe acting after the past 10 years as a "whim").

Bring it on I say. I think it is pretty binary now - the Board follows a process pretty much like this or there will be a member-led revolt aimed at their replacement or a supporters strike or something similarly messy and destructive. I think the current board has done a great job off-field, so that's not my preferred option. We don't need to risk destroying the club to get rid of Scott when there is a far easier way.

Let's get this done.

Surely the biggest issue at our club is that our coach has been installed like a Premier League manager. He has been given full power over everything football related and has become the final decision maker. We let Geoff Walsh walk and promoted from within but the guy we promoted has been Brad's biggest supporter and from afar has definitely seemed second to Brad in terms of seniority. I cannot imagine a scenario where Joyce fires Brad. It just doesnt seem possible given the relationship we have seen over the years. Its almost like the administration starting with Brayshaw and now Buckley gave the keys to the club to Brad to make it his own. Its all good when we are playing finals but when it all goes to crap all of a sudden the guy with all the power has nowhere else to go. Every decision he has made has lead to this. Collingwood, Richmond and StKilda all brought in very senior GM's of football to turn around a sinking ship and huge, wholesale changes were made to the football department. Brad essentially runs ours though - how can he distance himself and look at this problem holistically? Its not possible. With Archer leaving the board - who is actually the representative responsible for looking at the football?

I dont begrudge the administration focussing on expanding our club' physical footprint, starting a VFL side, an AFLW side and making sure we are financially sustainable but it looks like they have taken their eye off the major reason we exist - to win a flag. It is incumbent on them now to make sure they sort this out and if it continues like this for much longer i would demand they put an interim coach in place by mid year and get an external organisation in to do a full investigation into the structure and failings of this football department. If they dont do this then this fan base (the same one that literally saved this club from being destroyed) will once again come together and get rid of them - that is our duty as members - we cant let this mediocrity continue anymore

People have clearly been asleep at the wheel and now look where we are. #Never Beaten

Maybe I don't understand twins too well, but Harry couldn't be further from Ben from an athletic point of view. We got Danny DeVito it seems, or, as may be the case, do we just have a poor fitness division that haven't focused on the right training?

A few quotes about Ben

"Ben felt like he had only gained a call-up because of Harry, and didn't think he belonged at that level. After months of self-doubt, he pulled out of the Power's program in February"

"But after watching Harry play for Vic Country at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and then stringing together some strong performances for Warragul's senior team, Ben's self-belief grew and he had another shot at being a TAC Cup player"

"He recorded a 9.05-second agility score, which was among the slowest times of this year's crop"

Most thought he would go anywhere from 20-40 in the draft

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Not sure if this is right thread to post this in - after all, there are more or less four threads devoted to the removal of the head coach - but just wanted to start us thinking about the means by which he is replaced.

I think we've moved on from the whether and the why he should be replaced, so some thoughts on best way to achieve it in a practical way.

As our chairman and board are comparatively low profile, lack gravitas in the public sphere and have said nothing so far on these issues, I think rather than just bunkering down until they bow to the inevitable and firing him without warning, there is a better approach. One that enhances their leadership credentials and reputations, pressures Scott to walk, maintains our financial position and doesn't set the new guy up to fail.

I think they should commission a formal review of the football department led by someone with impeccable credentials who is not a NM person - ie Paul Roos or similar. The review should be the full 360 degree review - taking into account the views or players, supporters, staff and any other stakeholders deemed important enough.

This will send the right message to supporters and create at least the appearance of due process towards the current coaching staff. This could be announced post the Carlton game. My assumption is we lose to Port relatively badly and probably lose to Carlton. I think the timing of this announcement is still OK if we beat Carlton - let's face it, it won't be by much if that occurs.

We give Roos or whoever two months or so to come back, which takes us into early July. Of course it will come back with negative findings towards Scott. By this time the board will be in self preservation mode with possible rumblings of a reform ticket far from a distant possibility. The most negative parts of the review can be selectively leaked to various journos (How much would Caro love to receive them?) ramping up the pressure for Scott to go. Short of a dramatic on-field reversal of fortune, his position would then become pretty much untenable. Board members can conduct meetings with potential replacements in highly public cafes to increase pressure if needed tipping off media in advance. The end game, of course, is that he walks ... then the rest of the football department fall like dominos. Ultimately, the findings of the review could be used to formally sack him, but that carries with it financial issues that we all want to avoid.

We then move to appoint an interim coach for rest of season, if that's the route we want to take, or a caretaker and appoint permanent replacement for 2020 season. I will leave it to those who know more about the game and potential candidates to opine on the best choice.

Having at least provided a semblance of due process and leveraging the reputation of a Roos or someone similar, the new guy can at least breathe easy that this is not a Mickey Mouse outfit that fires people on a whim (not that any of us would describe acting after the past 10 years as a "whim").

Bring it on I say. I think it is pretty binary now - the Board follows a process pretty much like this or there will be a member-led revolt aimed at their replacement or a supporters strike or something similarly messy and destructive. I think the current board has done a great job off-field, so that's not my preferred option. We don't need to risk destroying the club to get rid of Scott when there is a far easier way.

Let's get this done.
Do you want "Five"? :stern look

Adam Simpson always struck me as level headed and articulate, what's he up to these days?
Instilling a culture of pride in the jumper, playing for your mates and representing your family every time you run out.

You know, the type of things we used to be.

But he's doing it in the otherside of the country....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think even if we added in Dusty and Kelly into the current team we still wouldn't be winning the flag, our coaching department are a fricking mess.

I just heard Alan Richardson say, that they brought in Lade and Ratten into assistant coaching roles this year.

Now, say what you want about Lade, but he was one of the smartest guys out on the field ask any any ruckaman that played against him, they will tell you that he is very clever and we all know about Ratten.

If we can’t get rid of Brad, then its time to shake up the assistants.

We got Shaw in as the backline coach this year, well the backline is the least of our worries, our midfield and forward lines are the worst in the AFL, I’m not talking talent wise, I’m talking structures and tactics.

Go out there and bring in assistants that played the game well, not because of their raw ability, but ones that did it with their brains.

If, however what we are hearing about Brad not being good at receiving feedback and doing things his way or the highway, then we are officially stuffed for years to come with him on board.

I wondered on here years ago w/or not Scotts could do with a game day mentor

Who is and what qualifications does our Forward Coach possess? He was on the screen before the game

All our kids can play. The senior coach does not speak to the kids. He has a core 11 or 12 he addresses and the rest of them are irrelevant.

I bet you someone like Zurhaar maybe speaks to Brad seven or eight times a season.

I have been biting my tongue on this stuff, but I have heard it from two or three different places. It is outrageous stuff.

All our kids can play. The senior coach does not speak to the kids. He has a core 11 or 12 he addresses and the rest of them are irrelevant.

I bet you someone like Zurhaar maybe speaks to Brad seven or eight times a season.

I have been biting my tongue on this stuff, but I have heard it from two or three different places. It is outrageous stuff.
Yeah well that's ****ed if accurate.

No need to bite it any more... We need this stuff to come out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Heard that too from a few. The 7 or 8 times you mention might be a touch generous for others.

Leigh Adams brought him lunch once though.

Heard the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back