Running/Fitness Obstacle Course Racing

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
I know it's predominantly a weights based forum, but is anyone into this?

Basically military style commando course events. It has grown in popularity over the last few years to the point where there are now several Aussie and OS-managed events ranging from 5km to 20km (the latter being Tough Mudder).

I've never done Tough Mudder and don't really intend to do it TBH, but I have done a few of the others in the 6-9km distance and must say that they're a lot of fun, and also, physically demanding if going balls out. Being able to run is one thing, and my running fitness is at a good level at the mo (did the 9km Sydney bridge run in September in under 36 mins) but in the obstacle races, strength comes into play. there is also the muscle shock from running, then negotiating an obstacle and getting on the run again. i just did a 7km event last weekend and found it a bit more taxing than the 9km standard run i did a month ago.

and of course, mud is involved but there are now some beach/sand based ones as well as well as the urbanathlon.

generally a good half-day out, and a great perve too. absolutely love how many fit women in their 20s, 30s, even 40s wearing tight-fitted clothing get into these sorts of fitness events and are so approachable in this environment. definitely outnumber the blokes and a push on the arse can be easily disguised as assistance too. :thumbsu:

the season for this stuff ramps up about now.
http://www.obstacleracers.com.au/calendar.htm

I know someone who is doing the Tough Mudder challenge. Apparently one of the last obstacles is running through 10,000 volt live wires. I don't envy those people at all.

Tough-Mudder-PA-0904.jpg

I know someone who is doing the Tough Mudder challenge. Apparently one of the last obstacles is running through 10,000 volt live wires. I don't envy those people at all.

Tough-Mudder-PA-0904.jpg

yeah i've heard of those. of the 4 events I've done so far, I haven't experienced it yet. There's an event called 'The Stampede' up here in NSW which will feature it next month, but I'll be OS.

I've signed up for tough mudder in Jan.

Also doing Stampede as a warmup this weekend.

Using it as a warmup as it's only a half distance so should get me used to doing a shorter one before TM.

I've signed up for tough mudder in Jan.

Also doing Stampede as a warmup this weekend.

Using it as a warmup as it's only a half distance so should get me used to doing a shorter one before TM.

Have you done much of these in the past? You've got a bit of running ahead of you over summer if you're attempting TM.

Stampede has the 10,000 volt cords obstacle. Make sure you report back and let us know what that was like, and if it's your first time doing these, what you thought of it as fitness event.

Cheers.

Have you done much of these in the past? You've got a bit of running ahead of you over summer if you're attempting TM.

Stampede has the 10,000 volt cords obstacle. Make sure you report back and let us know what that was like, and if it's your first time doing these, what you thought of it as fitness event.

Cheers.

This weekend was my first one. Wasn't as prepared as i wanted to be due to illness in the lead up so i only had 3-4 5km runs in the 3 weeks coming up to it.

But i found it quite easy. I think Stampede is a good beginners type course, but from what others said, TM will be a lot more challenging. But i found it good in terms of testing clothing/equipment and just needing to know what to expect for TM in January. Wore compression shorts, nike running shorts, nike running singlet and vibrams without socks. All worked well - grip on my model of vibrams worked really well too.

Didn't really run a good time because one of the people i was going through it with strained a calf (landing off an obstacle funny) and was unable to move past a walk for the 2nd half. So our team's time was over 2 hours.

Ice bath - wasn't too deep and didn't feel that cold.
Water slide - lots of fun and got some good speed, but line was massive. Most people lost their race number on this early on.
Berlin walls - got over reasonably easy jumping and catching my fingers on the top and pulled myself up - they weren't too high that you needed someone else's help.
Half pipe thingy - was dry and got it first time - there were some people at the top helping grab people, so not sure if i could have made it without their help or not - would have been close. Plus they had ropes on the sides if you wanted an easy version of it.

10,000 volts.. damn those things hit hard. Didn't hurt, but had the feeling of someone hitting you reasonably hard on the arm with a broomstick. Made my arm jerk sideways on impact too. Apparently these were stronger than tough mudder. Was funny watching others get hit and fall over in shock from the impact of it.

They also had a waist high lake you had to walk through with plastic barrels floating that you had to try and jump over. Only problem was you had a cfa truck on top with a firehose squirting people backward off it. The fireies seemed to be having lots of fun during this obstacle.

So in terms of a fitness event didn't find it that challenging at all. But i think they tried to make it so everyone can complete it, rather than a serious challenge that people struggled with.

But still had plenty of fun.

No real injuries came up today. Few small scratches on my knees where i was crawling. Hamstrings and calves little bit tight, but not as bad as DOMS after a normal leg day. Only real problem was that i wasn't expecting to get sunburned on a 17 degree day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back