Travel Obtaining an Australian passport while still using Chinese passport?

Remove this Banner Ad

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi guys - after some help here.

I've had a Chinese citizenship and passport since birth, with PR in Australia granted from 1999 when I came here. I've had no hassles thus far, I just have to renew my visa and that enables me to leave and enter Australia every five years or something when I want to travel. I recently just went to China so I have an electronic visa that's good for the next five years or so. China doesn't allow dual citizenship.

After years of procrastinating (and for ease of international travel) I've decided to apply for Australian citizenship a few days ago, and I imagine I'll apply for my passport a few days after that is granted.

In an ideal world I'd just not tell China that I have new citizenship and use that passport when I go to China so I don't have to apply for a visa (I usually go via HK so I can get the stamp there so it doesn't look suspicious.)

What I'm wondering is:
A) If I don't tell the Chinese embassy I've changed citizenship, can they find out? I've heard that the electronic visa means that it's an automated process where cancellation is immediate. Is this true? Would paying for a sticker on my passport bypass this?
B) What's the 'penalty' for not telling them? I've read it's that they cancel your passport but given that's what needs to be done anyway I imagine it's not the biggest loss in the world. Do I then have bad 'credit history' (for lack of a better word) with them?

I'd ask the Australian embassy but as you can see I'm looking for loopholes which they can't assist me with.

China knows now.

Kidding! The Australian government recommend you travel under your Australian passport and identify as Australian at all times because, as China doesn't recognise dual citizenship, should you find yourself in trouble, they will deny access to consular assistance. Effectively you are on your own.

Food for thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back