Ochre guernsey love thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May 28, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Nothing beats the royal blue with wings for iconic Premiership success (x4) but The Ochre is a work of art. It will forever be ahead of its time, with its amazing design of incorporating the fat, ‘fighting’ eagle from the tripanel home guernsey with the land mass of WA and the blue waters of the Indian Ocean. A true literal representation of a west coast eagle.

It was the guernsey that stoked the fire in me to collect guernseys when I first saw a photo of it in The West Australian in October 1999 and it marked the first player issue I ever bought in early 2003 (for $70, there was a whole rack of them for sale in the team store).

It could possibly be improved by having the left side (when wearing) change into a gold gradient and extend around onto the back (instead of abruptly turning fluoro red) then drop the fluoro blue and have the back be two-thirds navy.

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
This jumper represents the low point of our club's guernsey misadventures. We started out with perfection and devolved to the ochre and tripe-anal rubbish.

Threads like this make me fear that someday, the #ReturnTheWings campaign may need to be dusted off.

This so much. It was born from that turn of the century re-branding of the club that also saw our club song changed to pure s**t. We already had a perfect design (that was fugged up in 1995 with the introduction of navy, ew, and the white outlines).

That we've finally reverted to our classic design, albeit with our newer chicken hawk logo, is testament to how right we had for our initial guernsey design. Looks at the other new school kids and their tripe... Brisbane, Fremantle, Port... all have completely changed their horrid initial designs. Adelaide keeps on trucking, while Gold Coast and GWS are kind of uninspiring but at least not offensive vomit.

We've now snagged 4 flags in a third of a century, and all of them in wings. So happy about that.

#wingsforlife

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Current design is a perfect mix of new age logo on a classic design. I love the old eagle head and text and wished we went back to that, but more than happy with how the 2018 rebrand turned out. Now to get rid of the bloody horrid red text Hungry Jacks, and get the buns returned.

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
What I love about the ochre?........

Ummm? :think:.....

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 12.56.00 pm.png Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 12.56.00 pm.png Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 12.56.00 pm.png

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Did Volkswagen ever sponsor us? for some weird reason i think of Volkswagen as our short sponsor during that ear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
Current design is a perfect mix of new age logo on a classic design. I love the old eagle head and text and wished we went back to that, but more than happy with how the 2018 rebrand turned out. Now to get rid of the bloody horrid red text Hungry Jacks, and get the buns returned.
#returnthebuns

Haydos_WCE

Team Captain
Jun 14, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats & Perth Glory
Round 1, 2000 vs North - one of the two games we ever won in the ochre (the other being against Collingwood later that year).

Cainozz

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The ochre on a modern day template would look pretty schmick I reckon. Obviously wouldn't want to see it full time but I'd certainly have a laugh for a one off game. Oh and I would definitely buy it!

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Well over a ton in a half of footy, against the reigning premiers.

Shame the Judge era turned to s**t after that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back