mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
Surprised there isn't a thread on this. The next big thing IMO, I'm much more excited for this than either of the new consoles. Tried it at PAX AU and it was functionally excellent, though not 1080p yet.

Anyone here have a development kit?

Yes. We've trialled using it with Don Bradman Cricket 14 - works well - with wide enough sales of the device we will have a patch to include it.

No thanks. Wearing some massive thing on my head, cannot be comfortable at all.

It's not too bad, takes a while to be OK with not being able to see the real world around you (there is a sense of vulnerability).

It's not too bad, takes a while to be OK with not being able to see the real world around you (there is a sense of vulnerability).

Yeah that's the biggest issue for me, you just know you'll be sitting there playing Amnesia or something of that ilk with headphones on when someone comes up and taps you on the shoulder.... eep.

Part of me hopes that the money can take it to the next level.

A much larger part of me holds major concerns over the acquisition :(

I think this could be a good thing, the announcement says the primary focus is still letting Oculus complete their project for games, but now they have enormous funding to get things done they might not have been able too. Also after games Facebook could bring some pretty interesting ideas, like they said things like being courtside at an NBA game, being in a classroom in a different country, having a one on one session with a doctor from home, etc. These are the things that facebook could bring that Oculus might not have had in mind for it but as long as they focus on getting the project finished for gaming first.

If they just fund the development, and stay out of day to day issues..I'm OK with this.

If they make it a closed system with Facebook branding on everything, require a Facebook account to use the hardware...it's goodnight vicar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they just fund the development, and stay out of day to day issues..I'm OK with this.

If they make it a closed system with Facebook branding on everything, require a Facebook account to use the hardware...it's goodnight vicar.
That's what I fear, it's just going to be another tool to push their agenda. Hopefully that's not the case and it's just status quo for the Oculus Rift devs.

I don't understand why they had to sell out. Didn't they already have 2.5m in funding from the public? And i can't help but feel Facebook have gotten a bargain here, because it could become worth a lot more than $2b 5-10 years down the track.

I don't understand why they had to sell out. Didn't they already have 2.5m in funding from the public? And i can't help but feel Facebook have gotten a bargain here, because it could become worth a lot more than $2b 5-10 years down the track.

Zuckerberg has a lot more money than the 100 mill or whatever they had in funding.

R11Kf6w.gif

Anyone here own or have tried DK2? Upped the resolution again but still not quite where they need to be.

Watched the GB quick look of Elite: Dangerous and boy does that look nice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back