Hawthorn
Sadly Lynnsanity looks to have become the batting version of Wild Thing

It's a shame

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’d stick with Lynn for sure, he seems to have done a Symonds and ‘grown a brain’ this season about pacing his innings. But of course, you know, selectors.

Antonio Conte

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Man City
Don't mind this XI for the world cup.
1) Warner
2) Finch
3) Smith
4) Marsh/Khawaja/Head
5) Carey
6) Maxwell
7) Stoinis/Marsh
8) Agar
9) Cummins
10) Starc
11) ???
Warner and Finch good opening combo that has been successful in the past. No Hazlewood for me in the same reason why England doesn't select Anderson.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I completely forgot about that.

Yeah my XI is just as listed for the 2007 WC final.

Lee was a better version of Tait but they both played the same role with the ball as the tearaway quick. Bracken opened with seam/swing then bowled like a T20 bowler later in the innings with cutters, change of pace etc. when batsmen were hitting out. McGrath well everyone knows his MO. Hogg as the spinner mostly bowled in the middle overs. Over his ODI career his average figures would be 8 overs for 37 runs with a bit over 1 wicket per game. Ideal middle overs bowler.

I liked last Summer when we used Tye for something different but he had a couple of poor games in England so they've gone back to just using the test quicks when they aren't 'resting'. With Starc/Haze/Cummins/Marsh/Stoinis bowling most of the overs it just looks a bit samey to me.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I personally like the squads outside of no Travis Head.

We should be aiming to have roughly the same squad as 2015 just replacing the retired players and Faulkner who’s now a spud.

I’d be more than happy with:

2015: Warner, Finch, Smith, Clarke, Bailey, Maxwell, Watson, M.Marsh, Haddin, Faulkner, Cummins, Johnson, Starc, Hazlewood, Doherty.

2019: Warner, Finch, Smith, S.Marsh, Head, Maxwell, Stoinis, M.Marsh, Carey, Cummins, Coulter-Nile, Starc, Hazlewood, Zampa, Behrendorff

Ultimately at this stage we aren’t nearly as good as 2015 but this is about as good as we can do unfortunately. Lacking a bit of variety with the ball imo as a big weakness. If they pick the eleven in a similar way to 2015 (perhaps the spinner will get more games) we look strong enough imo. The temptation is to play M.Marsh and Stoinis but we shouldn’t as it weakens the batting far too much.

We’re probably searching for our last quick assuming NCN gets passed fit to play ODIs by then. I get the feeling the selectors want Handscomb to outperform Head so they don’t have to pick a second keeper in the squad but ultimately he’ll probably fail and Head will come back in for the Pakistan series.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
2019: Warner, Finch, Smith, S.Marsh, Head, Maxwell, Stoinis, M.Marsh, Carey, Cummins, Coulter-Nile, Starc, Hazlewood, Zampa, Behrendorff

Ultimately at this stage we aren’t nearly as good as 2015 but this is about as good as we can do unfortunately. Lacking a bit of variety with the ball imo as a big weakness. If they pick the eleven in a similar way to 2015 (perhaps the spinner will get more games) we look strong enough imo. The temptation is to play M.Marsh and Stoinis but we shouldn’t as it weakens the batting far too much.

The bowling line up is too one dimensional. Not enough quality middle overs/death overs bowling.

I don't mind Stoinis and Marsh in the same XI because they are both big hitters.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The bowling line up is too one dimensional. Not enough quality middle overs/death overs bowling.

I don't mind Stoinis and Marsh in the same XI because they are both big hitters.

We’ve got to have a top five at least who can rotate the strike with minimal risk. Mitch Marsh and to a lesser extent Stoinis are very much boundary or nothing players.

I agree with the fact the bowling being one dimensional. What I’ve written is a prediction as much as what I’d do. Unfortunately, I think it’s the best we have to offer. Anyone else we’ve tried in the last 12 months other than one five wicket haul from Tye has done worse.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
We’ve got to have a top five at least who can rotate the strike with minimal risk. Mitch Marsh and to a lesser extent Stoinis are very much boundary or nothing players.

I agree with the fact the bowling being one dimensional. What I’ve written is a prediction as much as what I’d do. Unfortunately, I think it’s the best we have to offer. Anyone else we’ve tried in the last 12 months other than one five wicket haul from Tye has done worse.

Agree that you need some energy in the middle overs to turn 0s into 1s and 1s into 2s and get the strike ticking over. Smith, Head, Maxwell are all suited to this.

I fear they are going to do what they've done in the tests and exclusively open with Hazlewood and Starc which wastes Cummins a bit. We have a tendency to get pasted in the last 10 overs because we bowl guys who put pace on the ball and pitch it short enough for batsmen to hit under it. Would love to see Starc bowl how Bracken used to in the final overs with changes of pace, cutters etc. instead of just length ball short ball length ball short ball with the odd yorker.

Not sure why people like Cummins in ODIs? Ordinary record.

Most of the batsmen for the World Cup will pick themselves. Warner, Finch, Smith, S. Marsh in the top order, Maxwell, M. Marsh, Stoinis, Carey in the middle order. That leaves probably one spot for Lynn, Khawaja, Head or Handscomb in a 15 man squad - perhaps Lynn and Head have their numbers marked.

The bigger ??? is on the bowling. Starc and Coulter-Nile are givens. But who joins them? Four spots left. Hazlewood, Cummins and Zampa are in the incumbents, but all have different problems. Hazlewood's form is very ordinary. Cummins has, as mentioned, an ordinary record. Zampa has no real reason for being selected, took two wickets at 152 in 2018.

The challengers are Behrendorff, Richardson, Siddle, Stanlake, Agar and Lyon. The fact that they've picked Behrendorff because they haven't picked Starc suggests that they probably aren't going to go with him unless he absolutely rips through teams in the next little while. Richardson and Stanlake the same problems Cummins has, I think. Siddle hasn't played an ODI in eight years. Agar and Lyon probably have decent claims to the spinner spot, particularly if they pick two.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Not sure why people like Cummins in ODIs? Ordinary record.

Most of the batsmen for the World Cup will pick themselves. Warner, Finch, Smith, S. Marsh in the top order, Maxwell, M. Marsh, Stoinis, Carey in the middle order. That leaves probably one spot for Lynn, Khawaja, Head or Handscomb in a 15 man squad - perhaps Lynn and Head have their numbers marked.

The bigger ??? is on the bowling. Starc and Coulter-Nile are givens. But who joins them? Four spots left. Hazlewood, Cummins and Zampa are in the incumbents, but all have different problems. Hazlewood's form is very ordinary. Cummins has, as mentioned, an ordinary record. Zampa has no real reason for being selected, took two wickets at 152 in 2018.

The challengers are Behrendorff, Richardson, Siddle, Stanlake, Agar and Lyon. The fact that they've picked Behrendorff because they haven't picked Starc suggests that they probably aren't going to go with him unless he absolutely rips through teams in the next little while. Richardson and Stanlake the same problems Cummins has, I think. Siddle hasn't played an ODI in eight years. Agar and Lyon probably have decent claims to the spinner spot, particularly if they pick two.
Hard to know what our best ODI bowling lineup is because we always rest our bowlers for it, the selectors and CA only have themself to blame if we crash out of the world cup. They have given ODI cricket no respect and we may well see that in the results.

Cummins and Hazlewood are rested from it so often we don't know if they are in our best team at the moment. Behrendorff should be close to a lock for a spot in the world cup squad one of our most talented fast bowlers in the Country, just needs to stay fit.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Cummins is our form bowler. He has an average record and Hazlewood has a great one, but who would you rather have right now?

Agar will be in the mix for an all rounder spot. At best he's a #7, more like a #8 but the selectors will have him in the same bracket as Stoinis, Marsh and Head because he's been an anointed all rounder for years. His List A record isn't particularly great with bat or ball anyway.

Cummins is our form bowler. He has an average record and Hazlewood has a great one, but who would you rather have right now?

Agar will be in the mix for an all rounder spot. At best he's a #7, more like a #8 but the selectors will have him in the same bracket as Stoinis, Marsh and Head because he's been an anointed all rounder for years. His List A record isn't particularly great with bat or ball anyway.

Cummins, purely because he adds to our batting depth. Both much similar personally as bowlers. That said I probably wouldn't play either. Personally I'm playing two spinners.

Lynnsanity

All Australian
Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No wonder the Australian team is a mess when you have contradicting selection methods. What do the selectors actually base their selections on?!?

I am a proud QLDer but what the * has Billy Stanlake done to get a call up. He was diabolical in the JLT Cup consistently being pasted for more than a run a ball and I think took only 9 wickets over 6 matches and wasn’t even The Bulls best bowler. Even Mark ******* Steketee took 14 wickets! So than you must think he has been picked on his BBL form but that also has been diabolical.

But but but 145km/h!!!!

And Handscomb is being picked I’m guessing on his JLT exploits yet the 2 guys who are having a decent BBL and finished 1 & 3 respectively for top
run scorers in the JLT Cup in Lynn & Short are dropped. I understand Lynn has fielding restrictions because of his injuries and is probably more a state player but Short should have been given a decent go of it. He is in great nick this JLT and BBL season.

And don’t even get me started on Peter Siddle...

Short has been awful for Australia. Sometimes you have to realise when one is a State player. Short reminds me exactly of that.

He's played only 4 ODIs, three of which were against England in the UK and the other was a single home match against SA in Perth.

Not sure how you can rule him out of the Australian team entirely when he's only played four matches in his career and has been one of our best performers at domestic level

He's played only 4 ODIs, three of which were against England in the UK and the other was a single home match against SA in Perth.

Not sure how you can rule him out of the Australian team entirely when he's only played four matches in his career and has been one of our best performers at domestic level

Happy to be proven wrong but I'll trust my judgement. He's all eye and no technique. Not for me at International level.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
My best ODI side including Smith & Warner.

Warner
Finch
Khawaja
Smith
Maxwell
M.Marsh
Carey (WK)
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Lyon/Behrendorff

My side from squad selected

Khawaja
Finch
Carey (WK)
S.Marsh
Maxwell
M.Marsh
Stoinis
Zampa
Lyon
Richardson
Behrendorff

Last edited:
My best ODI side including Smith & Warner.

Warner
Finch
Khawaja
S.Marsh
Maxwell
M.Marsh
Carey (WK)
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Lyon/Behrendorff

My side from squad selected

Khawaja
Finch
Carey (WK)
S.Marsh
Maxwell
M.Marsh
Stoinis
Zampa
Lyon
Richardson
Behrendorff
Your best side including Smith and Warner doesn't have Smith?

Back