ODI Squad vs India Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia: Finch (c), Carey (wk) Khawaja, S Marsh, Handscomb, Stoinis, Maxwell, Lyon, Siddle, Richardson, Behrendorff

Batting order doesn’t look right

They've gone too far the other way to the squad against South Africa. Handscomb at 5 is too low for him, probably needs to bat 3 or 4 to fully use his talents. It would have been worth pulling in Turner to bat that spot. It's a long tail too - Jhye's ok, but Siddle, Lyon and Behrendorff don't offer much.

I'm getting the feeling we're trying to replay the 2015 World Cup when all other sides have moved on. The styles that England, India and New Zealand are currently playing are the styles that will probably win the tournament.

Probably as reasonable an XI as you can get with the squad they named.

Stanlake is out of form and bowling pies. Siddle is the only other guy in the squad that could take his place.

Lyon over Zampa is fair. Been wondering how Lyon would go in ODIs in his current form for a while.

Without Mitch Marsh the batting lineup again kinda makes sense. I guess the question is maybe Handscomb vs Turner and they went Handscomb.

They've gone too far the other way to the squad against South Africa. Handscomb at 5 is too low for him, probably needs to bat 3 or 4 to fully use his talents. It would have been worth pulling in Turner to bat that spot. It's a long tail too - Jhye's ok, but Siddle, Lyon and Behrendorff don't offer much.

I'm getting the feeling we're trying to replay the 2015 World Cup when all other sides have moved on. The styles that England, India and New Zealand are currently playing are the styles that will probably win the tournament.

You could go with something like:

Finch
Khawaja
Handscomb
S Marsh
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey
Richardson
Siddle
Behrendorff
Lyon

Australia: Finch (c), Carey (wk) Khawaja, S Marsh, Handscomb, Stoinis, Maxwell, Lyon, Siddle, Richardson, Behrendorff

Batting order doesn’t look right

I actually don't mind the structure.

I mean if you put Smith in for Handscomb and the test quicks are available it looks alright to me heading towards the WC.

Using Carey as an opener must be an indication they are thinking about leaving Warner out of the one day side. Although I guess Warner could open with Finch to the middle order.

You could go with something like:

Finch
Khawaja
Handscomb
S Marsh
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey
Richardson
Siddle
Behrendorff
Lyon
Yeah Carey and Stoinis definitely need to bat lower. Carey in particular needs to earn a promotion over various better credentialed options rather than being handed it because he's the current flavour of the month.

If Shaun Marsh is in he should be opening or at #3.

If I could plot the trajectory of an average ODI performance from him it would be 5 off 10, 10 off 20, then 30 off the next 30 to take him up to his average and strike rate.

Picking him to come in at 4 or 5 is wasting his talents and robbing the side of a better middle order batsman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We already discovered Maxwell is wasted at 7 during the last odi series. He needs to bat at 5 so he has time to help recover from the inevitable top order collapse and still set/chase down a target.

We already discovered Maxwell is wasted at 7 during the last odi series. He needs to bat at 5 so he has time to help recover from the inevitable top order collapse and still set/chase down a target.
If we bat anything like we did in the test series, we could see Maxwell in the middle prior to over 20!

If Shaun Marsh is in he should be opening or at #3.

If I could plot the trajectory of an average ODI performance from him it would be 5 off 10, 10 off 20, then 30 off the next 30 to take him up to his average and strike rate.

Picking him to come in at 4 or 5 is wasting his talents and robbing the side of a better middle order batsman.

Especially when Handscomb is so much more suited to 4

If they want to pick that side it should be:
Finch, Marsh, Khawaja, Handscomb, Maxwell, Stoinis, Carey

On the uniform, saw it at a shop today, looks alright in person

Also cant believe its a Friday in summer and there is no cricket on, why are they starting on a Saturday?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back