ODI World Cup 2023 - Aussie squad - who makes it ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Since the 2019 ODI World Cup

P33 W 19 L 14

4 CAPTAINS (finch, cummins, carey, hazlewood)

Players not to get a game since 2019 WORLD CUP - coulter-nile, s.marsh, lyon, khawaja, handscomb

Games to play prior to the 2023 ODI World Cup
3 v India (A)
3 v Afghanistan (A)
5 v South Africa (A)
3 v India again (A)

Is it as simple as the 15 man squad comes from the recent series v England where we had 16 in the squad
warner, head, smith, labuschagne / maxwell, m.marsh, green, stoinis / carey, inglis / agar, zampa / abbott, starc, cummins, hazlewood

Other players to get a game since the last world cup include: finch (ret), mcdermott, short, wade, turner, philippe, henriques, christian, kuhnemann, swepson, meredith, ellis, w.agar, jhye richo, kane richo, behrendorff

Is there perhaps a bolter somewhere ?

Pat Cummins (capt), Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steven Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Adam Zampa, Josh Inglis

Marsh Green in front of Stoinis

Stoinis the worry might go handscomb due to conditions

1. David Warner
2. Travis Head
3. Steven Smith
4. Marnus Laubschange
5. Glenn Maxwell
6. Mitchell Marsh
7. Alex Carey
8. Ashton Agar
9. Mitch Starc
10. Pat Cummins
11. Adam Zampa
Bench
12. Josh Phillipe
13. Josh Inglis
14. Cameron Green
15. Marcus Stoinis
16. Josh Hazlewood
17. Jyhe Richardson
18. Chris Green

1. David Warner
2. Travis Head
3. Steven Smith
4. Marnus Laubschange
5. Glenn Maxwell
6. Mitchell Marsh
7. Alex Carey
8. Ashton Agar
9. Mitch Starc
10. Pat Cummins
11. Adam Zampa
Bench
12. Josh Phillipe
13. Josh Inglis
14. Cameron Green
15. Marcus Stoinis
16. Josh Hazlewood
17. Jyhe Richardson
18. Chris Green
18 Don't think they will pick that many

1. David Warner
2. Travis Head
3. Steven Smith
4. Marnus Laubschange
5. Glenn Maxwell
6. Mitchell Marsh
7. Alex Carey
8. Ashton Agar
9. Mitch Starc
10. Pat Cummins
11. Adam Zampa
Bench
12. Josh Phillipe
13. Josh Inglis
14. Cameron Green
15. Marcus Stoinis
16. Josh Hazlewood
17. Jyhe Richardson
18. Chris Green
It's going to be a squad of 15 like last time I assume. I also can't see them taking 3 wicketkeepers in any case

Matt Renshaw would be my smokey for the squad. 4 tons is the last year in List A cricket batting in the middle order. Averaging around the mid 50's at a strike rate close to 100 in that period. Plays spin well and we don't have a huge amount of depth in that number 4 spot, shoehorning openers in that spot in the past has never worked out. Handscomb also another that could potentially add depth to that position.

It's going to be a squad of 15 like last time I assume. I also can't see them taking 3 wicketkeepers in any case

Uh true I’ll change it up.

1. David Warner
2. Travis Head
3. Steven Smith
4. Marnus Laubschange
5. Cameron Green
6. Mitchell Marsh
7. Alex Carey
8. Ashton Agar
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Pat Cummins
11. Adam Zampa
Bench
12. Peter Handscomb
13. Daniel Hughes
14. Glenn Maxwell
15. Josh Hazlewood

Matt Renshaw would be my smokey for the squad. 4 tons is the last year in List A cricket batting in the middle order. Averaging around the mid 50's at a strike rate close to 100 in that period. Plays spin well and we don't have a huge amount of depth in that number 4 spot, shoehorning openers in that spot in the past has never worked out. Handscomb also another that could potentially add depth to that position.
As if selectors give a shot about List A cricket

Reckon Ben McDermott should be given a few consecutive matches some of the leadup series. Could be a handy depth player but rarely seems to be given continuity to press his case in the green and gold.

Since the 2019 ODI World Cup

P33 W 19 L 14

4 CAPTAINS (finch, cummins, carey, hazlewood)

Players not to get a game since 2019 WORLD CUP - coulter-nile, s.marsh, lyon, khawaja, handscomb

Games to play prior to the 2023 ODI World Cup
3 v India (A)
3 v Afghanistan (A)
5 v South Africa (A)
3 v India again (A)

Is it as simple as the 15 man squad comes from the recent series v England where we had 16 in the squad
warner, head, smith, labuschagne / maxwell, m.marsh, green, stoinis / carey, inglis / agar, zampa / abbott, starc, cummins, hazlewood

Other players to get a game since the last world cup include: finch (ret), mcdermott, short, wade, turner, philippe, henriques, christian, kuhnemann, swepson, meredith, ellis, w.agar, jhye richo, kane richo, behrendorff

Is there perhaps a bolter somewhere ?

Think we've won 8 of our last 9 also ? So it was W 11 L 13 in the period before that ?

squad for india odi's:
warner, head, smith, labuschagne/maxwell, m.marsh, green, stoinis/carey. inglis/agar, zampa/abbott, starc, cummins, jhye

only change from our last odi series is jhye in for hazlewood.

looking very likely the world cup 15 will come from the above 16 + hazlewood.

meredith, ellis , kane richo may come into calculations if injuries occur.

what about dan hughes - smokey ?

squad for india odi's:
warner, head, smith, labuschagne/maxwell, m.marsh, green, stoinis/carey. inglis/agar, zampa/abbott, starc, cummins, jhye

If he played for any other state there would be huge claims of state bias being made about his non-selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

squad for india odi's:

yeah, and then to lock in the XI would look like;

1. Warner
2. Head
3. Marsh
4. Smith
5. Maxwell
6. Green
7. Carey
8. Agar
9. Starc
10. Cummins
11. Zampa

12. Labuschagne
13. Inglis
14. Hazelwood/J.Richo
15. N.Ellis

Marsh was the incumbent #3 and performed well, Maxwell is a no brainer, Green is only getting better. Agar is criminally under rated as a white ball player. Zampa, Starc, Cummins pick themselves. Ellis the big, big smokey for me. Think we have lacked a lock down bowler for the middle overs for some time.

May want an extra batter but we do have some scope to mix it up, Green could open, Smith could move to the top. Inglis has done it. The bowlers are all proven at international level. Ideally, would like to take a younger member for experience to begin a transition from this generation as the XI only has 1 player under 29 in the starting XI (Green).

squad for india odi's:

injured today in the shield torn calf out of the season

yeah, and then to lock in the XI would look like;

1. Warner
2. Head
3. Marsh
4. Smith
5. Maxwell
6. Green
7. Carey
8. Agar
9. Starc
10. Cummins
11. Zampa

12. Labuschagne
13. Inglis
14. Hazelwood/J.Richo
15. N.Ellis

Marsh was the incumbent #3 and performed well, Maxwell is a no brainer, Green is only getting better. Agar is criminally under rated as a white ball player. Zampa, Starc, Cummins pick themselves. Ellis the big, big smokey for me. Think we have lacked a lock down bowler for the middle overs for some time.

May want an extra batter but we do have some scope to mix it up, Green could open, Smith could move to the top. Inglis has done it. The bowlers are all proven at international level. Ideally, would like to take a younger member for experience to begin a transition from this generation as the XI only has 1 player under 29 in the starting XI (Green).
stoinis ??

well 15 of the above 16 made the cut with labuschagne missing out.

they've added hardie, sangha and ellis to an extended squad, in which 3 will be trimmed at a later date.

hardie, sangha and ellis may get some games and a chance to really press in the lead up series.

Marsh
Head
Warner
Smith
Stoinis
Maxwell
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

Inglis
Agar
Abbott
Green

That's very uninspiring in all honesty. Especially that middle order. Semi final is best result like 2019.

Marsh
Head
Warner
Smith
Stoinis
Maxwell
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

Inglis
Agar
Abbott
Green

That's very uninspiring in all honesty. Especially that middle order. Semi final is best result like 2019.
I think you're harsh on the middle order. Ever since the 2019 World Cup Maxwell has been a revelation batting at 7. Averaging 44 at a strike rate of 132. In the same period Smith is averaging 59 at a strike rate of 92. That's elite for a no.4. Carey batting at 5/6 has been just okay. Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe s**t.

Stoinis is the issue. Hasn't passed 50 in an ODI since March 2019 (28 innings). Averaged 16 in that time. The only reason he's still in the side is his T20I form.

I think you're harsh on the middle order. Ever since the 2019 World Cup Maxwell has been a revelation batting at 7. Averaging 44 at a strike rate of 132. In the same period Smith is averaging 59 at a strike rate of 92. That's elite for a no.4. Carey batting at 5/6 has been just okay. Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe s**t.

Stoinis is the issue. Hasn't passed 50 in an ODI since March 2019 (28 innings). Averaged 16 in that time. The only reason he's still in the side is his T20I form.
Fair points. Balance is an issue with this squad. Could take Stoin out and put Green in, but he needs to be top 4 in the shorter form. So what, we move Head down the order? No friggin way. Inglis won't play unless Carey is out. I can't believe they're sticking with fu c king Stoinis in this format

Fair points. Balance is an issue with this squad. Could take Stoin out and put Green in, but he needs to be top 4 in the shorter form. So what, we move Head down the order? No friggin way. Inglis won't play unless Carey is out. I can't believe they're sticking with fu c king Stoinis in this format
Does Green need to bat top 4? All his ODI innings so far have come batting 6-8 and he's averaging 50.

You're right though balance does seem to be an issue. Inglis and Green are essentially our back up bats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back