ODI World Cup 2023 - Aussie squad - who makes it ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pat Cummins (c), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Adam Zampa
That will be the 15 as CA aint changing any players for what should be the swan song for several old timers past their best. I'd like to see Jhye Richo, Ellis, David added as all three have the white ball ability to be match winners and are the future.

Last edited:
If Ellis keeps this form up it'll be incredibly stiff for him to miss out. Ridiculously good white ball bowler for Australia.

That will be the 15 as CA aint changing any players for what should be the swan song for several old timers past their best. I'd like to see Jhye Richo, Ellis, David added as all three have the white ball ability to be match winners and are the future.
Seriously?
Jhye has hardly played a game in 12 months.

Maxwell not much better in 2015? He averaged 65 at a strike rate of 182 with the bat.
Made that 100 at the SCG, correct? He was massive for us.

The only way I can see Marnus coming into the squad is for Green, I just don't think we need Green. Stoinis and Abbott can take those overs and are better at it. Marsh can also bowl a few if required.

Be really interesting to see what they land at with a team strategy, let alone the lineup

Do we go with 3 quicks, 1 spin and rest all rounders.

Or do we go with 2 quicks, 2 spin and use our pace battery of allrounders.

It's a pity Agar isn't that slightly better bat to hold down the 7 position as I think that would make it an easier choice.

Gut feel says they'll start with Cummins, Starc, Zampa and Hazelwood as the main 4 bowlers.

Which means Agar probably misses out as it makes our tail too long for ODI.

Pitch dependent of course, id' be more inclined to drop one of Hazelwood or Cummins for Agar as we have plentiful pace bowling back up - and i think Stoinis (who looks in rich bowling form) could fill the main 5th bowler reasonably well - pinch hitting as an opener and then some middle overs.

You'd think they'd also stick with Carey as the keeper - but if they want the keeper to bat 7 and be a power hitter - i think Inglis fills that role better. If they want someone more steady at say 5 to bat amongst the power - Carey more likely.

Made that 100 at the SCG, correct? He was massive for us.

The only way I can see Marnus coming into the squad is for Green, I just don't think we need Green. Stoinis and Abbott can take those overs and are better at it. Marsh can also bowl a few if required.
is he fit to bowl yet?

Is Marnus any chance to force his way in? Only person I can see him replacing is Inglis, as Inglis could be called in from out of the squad if there is an injury

Firstly, Marnus is a world class batter and fielder, for him to be left out from the initial squad, makes me question who are the selectors, wtf are they thinking?

Tests, ODI's and T20's, you just automatically have Smith and Marnus as 3 and 4 and you build the team around them, they hold innings together so a complete collapse basically can't happen, both have ability to score at 150+ and both are elite inner circle fielders that can change a game in an instant.

Selectors forget that run outs exist?

Head and Warner open, Smith 3, Marnus 4, Marsh in at 5 and Maxwell in at 6, David 7, Stoinis 8, Carey 9, Starc/Cummins 10, Zampa 11

Zampa, Starc, Stoinis and Marsh all bowl 10

Head and Maxwell bowl 5 each or depending on wicket, less from Marsh and Stoinis and more from the spinners.

That team beats every current international team.

If they want another bowler, swap out David for Ellis.

Marsh or Stoinis injured, Green is direct swap.

I personally wouldn't even have Cummins in the team and I'd rather Starc, I feel Starc is a better ODI/T20 bowler and he's obviously better with the bat than Cummins is too.

A team without Marnus is a weaker team, both in the field and with the bat.

Firstly, Marnus is a world class batter and fielder, for him to be left out from the initial squad, makes me question who are the selectors, wtf are they thinking?

Tests, ODI's and T20's, you just automatically have Smith and Marnus as 3 and 4 and you build the team around them, they hold innings together so a complete collapse basically can't happen, both have ability to score at 150+ and both are elite inner circle fielders that can change a game in an instant.

Head and Warner open, Smith 3, Marnus 4, Marsh in at 5 and Maxwell in at 6, David 7, Stoinis 8, Carey 9, Starc/Cummins 10, Zampa 11

Head and Maxwell bowl 5 each or depending on wicket, less from Marsh and Stoinis and more from the spinners.

I personally wouldn't even have Cummins in the team and I'd rather Starc, I feel Starc is a better ODI/T20 bowler and he's obviously better with the bat than Cummins is too.

Marsh has to bat three against the harder ball...and he is such a weapon at the top

Smudge can play the holding role at four....unfortunately for Marnus its either him or smudge and I am going smudge

Issue is 5-8 middle overs against the spin Carey and Stoinis both are in terrible form as I stated in the other thread my preference at this stage would be

Warner Head Marsh Smudge Green Inglis Maxwell Starc Cummins/agar Zamps Hazelwood

Agree in the Cummins comment Starc and Hazelwood I both rate as better ODI bowlers than Patrick and if the conditions dictate I would drop Cummins first before them to play the spinner in Agar ..Marsh to captain when Cummins not there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Labuschagne's ODI record has always been seen as relatively poor - as recently as November 2022, his average was 30.75 and his strike rate of 82 was good, but not good enough to make up for the lack of runs.

I wonder if he's suffered from being in and out of the side, and if you just stick him in one spot and say it's his for the next few years if those numbers will come up substantially pretty quickly.

Marsh has to bat three against the harder ball...and he is such a weapon at the top

Smudge can play the holding role at four....unfortunately for Marnus its either him or smudge and I am going smudge

Issue is 5-8 middle overs against the spin Carey and Stoinis both are in terrible form as I stated in the other thread my preference at this stage would be

Warner Head Marsh Smudge Green Inglis Maxwell Starc Cummins/agar Zamps Hazelwood

Agree in the Cummins comment Starc and Hazelwood I both rate as better ODI bowlers than Patrick and if the conditions dictate I would drop Cummins first before them to play the spinner in Agar ..Marsh to captain when Cummins not there
Yep

Marsh has to either open or bat 3.
Pointless having him at 5.

Its a tough one, personally I wouldn't pick him solely for the fact it gives us no flexibility in our XI. If Head's kept in the squad, the XI for the opening games would probably be locked as

Warner
Marsh
Smith
Green
Carey
Maxwell
Stoinis
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Zampa

Personally, I'd bring Marnus in to the squad and bat him at 4 in place of Green

Its a tough one, personally I wouldn't pick him solely for the fact it gives us no flexibility in our XI. If Head's kept in the squad, the XI for the opening games would probably be locked as

Warner
Marsh
Smith
Green
Carey
Maxwell
Stoinis
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Zampa

Greens bowling is superior to Stoinis...and stoinis hasn't made runs in years

David has shown in this series he is absolutely not a good one day player. End

On Redmi Note 9 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Warner
Marsh
Smith
Green
Carey
Maxwell
Stoinis
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Zampa

Is Maxwell a certainty,has not played much cricket for a while.I presume he is playing in the lead up games against India though.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back