News Off-field discussion - AGM discussion - General Governance, board etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

He said June 30, which I find ridiculous that in Jeff’s own words good governance is all and at the afl club is running board planning to the financial year and not the calendar year.

AFL clubs management should run by calendar year as June is the season, which means any issues with bad management / media pr would come at the worst time.
I’m pretty sure football clubs run their year to Oct 31st.
This allows for the season to finish, then 4 weeks to finalise any revenue & all outgoings to be reconciled.

This allows for the season to finish, then 4 weeks to finalise any revenue & all outgoings to be reconciled.
Unless Jeff is transitioning the role at the end of the financial year, to allow a full off season for the incoming president

Assume so but then why set the end date to June 30?

Think its a fantastic move and one that all clubs will inevitably head down. Where will the club look to for future revenue though? Have other clubs provided any avenues the hawks are likely to explore?
I have quite a bit to do with pubs and venues through my work and there’s still a shitload of money the club can make without pokies. I personally don’t see why it has to be a full 180 from venue operating, it’s a matter of being strategic, winding down the pokies and increasing the offering in other aspects.

I have quite a bit to do with pubs and venues through my work and there’s still a shitload of money the club can make without pokies. I personally don’t see why it has to be a full 180 from venue operating, it’s a matter of being strategic, winding down the pokies and increasing the offering in other aspects.
There's a lot to make if you're in the right place.
Caroline Springs could be anything, but our other ventures wont

What are the other aspects?

Its easy to talk about unless you are the person who owns the revenue budgets.

I thought that was the latest date that the new committee could pass down its recommendation for who the next president should be. Not necessarily the date Jeff will leave.
But then I would just go back to ‘what is good governance’ because a significant change mid way through the season seems extremely poor to me.

The room for time to pass will create two likely options;

1) We are playing great, Jeff is vindicated in his decision and makes things difficult in some way shape or form, media latches on and create a story of unrest - mid season taking focus from the playing group, not unmanageable but potentially destabilising for some.

2) We are playing poorly, Jeff and Sam taking over story will grow week to week, sapping confidence from club and players and the club will be in unrest, even the Members will be shitty - mid season our season would be over and the media will
Pile on the heat.

3) media don’t run any story’s 😂😂😂 That ain’t happening…

This is not rocket science, just extremely poor management from the outset of this saga, the only smart option is for Jeff to stand down before season start and give him a nice send off because he has done a lot of good. Club starts fresh for 2022 and the media can focus their heat and story on the players and coach, which is fine to manage.

But then I would just go back to ‘what is good governance’ because a significant change mid way through the season seems extremely poor to me.

I think you are over thinking it.

Its a change associated with the President which is a non-operational role in the club.
Its mid season with all the formal reporting periods still some months off.

Its probably as good a time as any besides now or soon.

Jeff won’t go if he can still have influence Ofer hawks in Tassie, or just Tassie footy. It’s his real passion.

I think each club will get a vote soon. Jeff will assume it’s his personal vote to give

Jeff won’t go if he can still have influence Ofer hawks in Tassie, or just Tassie footy. It’s his real passion.

I think each club will get a vote soon. Jeff will assume it’s his personal vote to give
Forgetabowdit. He’s gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the other aspects?

Its easy to talk about unless you are the person who owns the revenue budgets.
Mainly food and bev. Incredibly lucrative when you get it right. I know little about the clubs current assets in this space so maybe location wise it’s hard, but I’ve seen plenty ex-pokie places turn into cash cows with the right investment.

Mainly food and bev. Incredibly lucrative when you get it right. I know little about the clubs current assets in this space so maybe location wise it’s hard, but I’ve seen plenty ex-pokie places turn into cash cows with the right investment.

Couldn’t imagine too much food and beverage money coming in for Caroline Springs

I think you are over thinking it.

Its a change associated with the President which is a non-operational role in the club.
Its mid season with all the formal reporting periods still some months off.

Its probably as good a time as any besides now or soon.
We shall see, I hope someone at the club is overthinking it

Because she is a QUALIFIED woman and at present we have a lack of QUALIFIED women in board positions and it is to the financial detriment of the club.

That should've been her platform then - how she is qualified. Not how she is female. And that's how it read.

That should've been her platform then - how she is qualified. Not how she is female. And that's how it read.

Her platform in the AGM announcement specifically mentioned her credentials and how this qualified her for a board position as well as her beliefs regarding better board diversification. So, you're wrong.

Her platform in the AGM announcement specifically mentioned her credentials and how this qualified her for a board position as well as her beliefs regarding better board diversification. So, you're wrong.

I'm for anyone who loves the Hawks and has the ability to take us forward. Put the best person in place please. But it read loud and clear about why we should vote her in so we get the cash.

Gender shouldn't be mentioned as an issue. Especially by the candidate themselves.

I'm for anyone who loves the Hawks and has the ability to take us forward. Put the best person in place please. But it read loud and clear about why we should vote her in so we get the cash.

Gender shouldn't be mentioned as an issue. Especially by the candidate themselves.

It didn't. Her pitch in the AGM notice mentioned nothing about this component that only came via a press interview. As the funding directly ties into gender diversity on the board at least it was relevant to the position she was trying to obtain - unlike Shearer going off the reservation and waxing lyrical about the quality of our list with Kane Cornes.

Gender representation on boards is an issue whether you like it or not - so of course it is going to be discussed by a female candidate when our board lacks the diversity compared to other clubs. However - your categorisation that this is the only pitch that was made by Holdstock is patently false.

It didn't. Her pitch in the AGM notice mentioned nothing about this component that only came via a press interview. As the funding directly ties into gender diversity on the board at least it was relevant to the position she was trying to obtain - unlike Shearer going off the reservation and waxing lyrical about the quality of our list with Kane Cornes.

Gender representation on boards is an issue whether you like it or not - so of course it is going to be discussed by a female candidate when our board lacks the diversity compared to other clubs. However - your categorisation that this is the only pitch that was made by Holdstock is patently false.

At no stage did I ever say the only pitch. This will just be a twisting of words if you you try to angle that way. Perhaps I shouldn't have said it was her platform. But the releases that were put out were far too strong on it and it appeared weak. Just sell why you're qualified.

However I will say it should never have been any pitch. It just shouldn't. Manufacturing diversity in any way that isn't organic is just as discriminatory. Best person all the time every time.

Nothing you say changes this.

And as I already said, I'd be happy for her to be on the board if she was voted it.

Does a suburban litigator who has experience in local NFP organisations qualify her to sit on the board of one of Australia’s largest sporting clubs?

We absolutely need gender diversification but we should be looking for the Janine Allis and Lucinda Nolan credentialed candidates

Does a suburban litigator who has experience in local NFP organisations qualify her to sit on the board of one of Australia’s largest sporting clubs?

We absolutely need gender diversification but we should be looking for the Janine Allis and Lucinda Nolan credentialed candidates

Well clearly the voters didn't regard her as qualified as Silk and Shearer. But she has regulatory, compliance and governance experience so yes - she's qualified to sit on a board. Way to diminish her legal skills by calling her a 'suburban litigator' though - classy effort!

Can everyone entering into the fray of this conversation please realise this isn't a John Grisham novel and there is no disgrace with being a litigator in this country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back