Injury Off Legs Report 2018 - Stretch that toe

Remove this Banner Ad

Joke about it now but when his foot is actually ****** for good I can't see the funny side.
Hey I wasn't joking. I genuinely expect him to be touch and go for round one given our history with lying to supporters about injuries. 'At least 4 weeks' should be hugely worrying to all of us.

Keep him off the foot until there's the absolute least risk possible. At least they've caught it earlier this time, though why he played through Fremantle and possibly St Kilda with pain is s**t management. Even if he misses 2019, whatever, just get him right.

Viney, Trengove, TMac, Vandenberg and Stretch all with serious foot issues. And ive probably missed a couple. This surely isn't normal. So what the af is going on down there? Training? Boots? Misson? Unlucky? Viney is a huge out. I'd say having Viney and TMac out during the first quarter of the season cost us a game or two as well which ultimately might cost us finals. Trengove never fully recovered, Vandenberg may never play seniors again and has missed two full seasons. Stretch just finds form then goes down. Wtf is going on with the feet issues?
Mitch Clark

Keep him off the foot until there's the absolute least risk possible. At least they've caught it earlier this time, though why he played through Fremantle and possibly St Kilda with pain is s**t management. Even if he misses 2019, whatever, just get him right.
Problem is, they've done that plantar fascia release surgery. For some players, that's the end of high level athletics because if they can't get enough stability in the foot, they keep putting the same stress on the same parts and re-injure them. The AFL has a ridiculous mythology around the plantar fascia that it's completely unnecessary - remember Robert Harvey and his story about getting sick of it being sore so he jumped off a chair one day and snapped it and it was as right as rain after that? In truth, some players can get by without it, but many can't. It comes down to the unique individual, the way they are built and the way they run. I suspect Jack has rolled the dice and lost on the fascia release surgery. It's very hard to do much now to stabilise that foot. Resting it won't strengthen it. It doesn't appear to have the required strength/flexibility to cope with what he wants it to do. That's why I suspect he's going to limp through the rest of his career with this foot - literally and figuratively. At the very least, he's going to have to learn to run differently and play differently if he wants any sort of career. Kind of like what David Schwarz had to do to protect his knees. He was useful, but never the same player.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea yet Sydney ran with the same excuse for when Buddy had what Clark had if you get what i mean

I wasn't referring to that so much as Clark clearly being touched in the head. "I want to go home... via Melbourne... with a truckload of cash."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back