Off Season Changes - Backroom staff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
We seem to be making a few (needed) changes in the backroom coaching and staff

Leon stated that there were a few people leaving at his B&F speach, though cant remember who or in what department, anyone remember?

We are also bringing in assistants like Matthew Nick's who seems a great get.

What are peoples thoughts after what seems like a disastrous year starting in the pre-season and all through the year with soft tissue injuries.

So just a thread for thoughts and also if anyone can remember who was released staff wise.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Just need a clean run with injuries. Bit of luck won’t hurt.
Absolutely it will help.

It's human nature to blame someone when bad things happen. It's not always anyone's fault though.

Undoubtedly there's some luck involved, how much is hard to judge. We had issues in 2015 but a lot less in 2016, then again for the last two years.

Other clubs had a lot of injuries this year, notably Collingwood and the Crows, even the premiers this year did not have a good run. The clubs reviewed the situation in the last two years, to try and identify improvement. It would interesting to see competition wide stats on injuries v age and time in the system.

I think the ubiquitous groin soreness is primarily in younger players particularly.

It was interesting to hear Jake Stein talk about AFL training. A prior decathlete, a discipline generally regarded as tough to train for because of the variety of strengths required, he said it was very tough. The constant change of direction is unique and his groin was on fire the first year.

Collision injuries like Scully, Davis, Shaw and Kelly are just a sad risk of the game.

LikewiseToby in the off-season. The players are athletes and likely to be active in their spare time. Other than discourage them from things like cliff diving, there may not be much that can be done.

That leaves soft tissue injuries. There is components that maybe the club system can control. My initial reaction is to snort in derision at the thought anyone but clinical professionals can add anything useful. That is absolutely true regarding specifics.

At a high level it's reasonable to compare the 18 clubs injury stats and ask what's wrong if we are significantly outside the norm, and address it. Taking into account factors like age and experience profiles that may be relevant. I expect that's part of the reviews that have been done.

If were seriously about player retention then getting on top of player rehab and injury prevention has to be our top priority especially when you consider we have had Davis and other senior players mention how we need to turn things around with injury and injury prevention and get the right people in at the club to improve things. With the simple truth being that with less depth if we just have 15% of the injury issues we have had in the last 2 years we will find it tough to make finals and with a combo of ongoing injury issues with a questionable injury prevention program and less on field success it will make it very tricky to retain players.

Last edited:
If were seriously about player retention then getting on top of player rehab and injury prevention has to be our top priority especially when you consider we have had Davis and other senior players mention how we need to turn things around with injury and injury prevention and get the right people in at the club to improve things. With the simple truth being that with less depth if we just have 15% of the injury issues we have had in the last 2 years we will find it tough to make finals and with a combo ongoing injury issues with a questionable injury prevention program and less on field success it will make it very tricky to retain players.

I heard Davis say something, pretty sure it was his last podcast? I was surprised but it was a but off the cuff. I dudn't really know what to make of it. As far as reglhab goes I know if a couple if indications players night have concerns.

Paul Ahern in an interview with North's marketing after his debut said he felt pressured to get back on the field with us.

There was also an unverified report on the Bombers board that first thing Devon Smith wanted to see on his initial visit to their club was their rehab facilities and discuss the process.

Wouldn't give either too much weight in isolation but with Phil's comment maybe all pieces in the puzzle.

I'm still not convinced anything's actually wrong, but if there is then yeah it should be an absolute priority. Not necessarily player retention, which seems to be impacted by the law of diminishing returns, but culture.

Doing everything possible to keep your players healthy, and looking after your injured players as well as possible, is a basic requirement for a happy group you'd think.

I heard Davis say something, pretty sure it was his last podcast? I was surprised but it was a but off the cuff. I dudn't really know what to make of it. As far as reglhab goes I know if a couple if indications players night have concerns.

Paul Ahern in an interview with North's marketing after his debut said he felt pressured to get back on the field with us.

There was also an unverified report on the Bombers board that first thing Devon Smith wanted to see on his initial visit to their club was their rehab facilities and discuss the process.

Wouldn't give either too much weight in isolation but with Phil's comment maybe all pieces in the puzzle.

I'm still not convinced anything's actually wrong, but if there is then yeah it should be an absolute priority. Not necessarily player retention, which seems to be impacted by the law of diminishing returns, but culture.

Doing everything possible to keep your players healthy, and looking after your injured players as well as possible, is a basic requirement for a happy group you'd think.
Doesn’t surprise me to hear that. Still can’t get past Buntine running around with a busted ACL for some time.

Doesn’t surprise me to hear that. Still can’t get past Buntine running around with a busted ACL for some time.
Presumably he had no pain.
Full body MRI scans on healthy people are quite controversial for the general population. You may recall a company advertising them on TV some years ago. There's a view they lead to over servicing with it's own risks.

Unlike X-rays I dont think they're detrimental per se though.

For high performance athletes constantly stressing their bodies to the max the assessment may be different.

It generally makes me very uncomfortable if a club dictates treatment to it's players.I think it has to be up to them. In most cases the club and the players interests align. The club complaining Treloar sought treatment recommended by Collingwood doctors while still contracted to us are on dangerous ground I think. There were also reports Bontempelli declined surgery that seemed to offend some, to me it's simply his call, all surgery carries some risk.

Last edited:
Presumably he had no pain.
Full body MRI scans on healthy people are quite controversial for the general population. You may recall a company advertising them on TV some years ago. There's a view they lead to over servicing with it's own risks.

Unlike X-rays I dont think they're detrimental per se though.

For high performance athletes constantly stressing their bodies to the max the assessment may be different.

It generally makes me very uncomfortable if a club dictates treatment to it's players.I think it has to be up to them. In most cases the club and the players interests align. The club complaining Treloar sought treatment recommended by Collingwood doctors while still contracted to us are on dangerous ground I think. There were also reports Bontempelli declined surgery that seemed to offend some, to me it's simply his call, all surgery carries some risk.
Wasn’t Buntine, our VC, dropped for uncharacteristically poor performance? Played reserves for a bit before the ACL was finally detected?

We dont have many issues with the club.

Our management and back office are great and our players are hard working.

Our health rehab and injury department kn the other hand seems to need a lot of work.

It's not just fans and media thinking it going off the veiled references from players and even Leon.

Hopefully this is all rectified over the off season as we could see worse during the next trade week.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Wasn’t Buntine, our VC, dropped for uncharacteristically poor performance? Played reserves for a bit before the ACL was finally detected?
He was left out of the leadership group at the start of 2017. Not sure if he was ever VC. Maybe pre-Shaw?

He played round one and two and was then injured in prior to round three as I recall. Scans then showed an ACL tear, which had worsened but been present for some time.

He was left out of the leadership group at the start of 2017. Not sure if he was ever VC. Maybe pre-Shaw?

He played round one and two and was then injured in prior to round three as I recall. Scans then showed an ACL tear, which had worsened but been present for some time.
Yes in 2016 only. Dropped out for 2017.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2016-03-22/newlook-leadership-group

Looks like he went out for round 16 of 2016 with a hamstring. He didn’t play again that year.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/match-centre/2016/16/gws-v-coll

He also had a concussion that year: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ird-concussion-in-a-year-20160526-gp4u2e.html

He played the NEAFL grand final and I feel like several more reserves games but this is the only link I could find:
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-09-09/neafl-experienced-side-named

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still want the opportunity to elect a member's rep to the board, but Jimmy Bartel has long been one of my favourite non-giants. absolutely loved the way he went about it.
Seems the right kind of character. Assume his ambition is high level admin.

Not sure when we will. The AFL delegate two positions to the Swans members so it shouldn't be hard. What would worry me is a lot of our members dont have the Giants as their primary support.

I'd like some assurance the people voting are committed to the Giants. Not necessarily excluding dual citizens, which would make it hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back