Off season movements 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

We would be blessed if we found another Luke Butterworth so soon. The most underrated player of our golden era.
Genuine star, and still only 36. Played for Scotland too apparently!

Genuine star, and still only 36. Played for Scotland too apparently!
As an overseas player back when Scotland used to play in the one-day comp of County cricket. George Bailey did the same so there might have been some Tasmanian connection in the Scottish set up around then.

What has happened to Rogers? 46 wickets at 21 from his first 14 matches but seemed to just disappear and go out of favour for others last season.
Has a lot of Luke Butterworth about him.

I think Andrews is probably a better bat than him though
Yes Andrews has definitly done a lot more with the bat,I don't believe Rogers has passed 50 once for Tassie.

When fit, Bird, Siddle and Bell are 100% locks in my opinion.

Meredith is a good prospect, but in the longer form of the game he has been OK, not great.

2019-20: 5 matches, 20 wickets @ 28.35 av - but leaked 4.05 runs per over.

For comparison:

BELL

2019-20: 6 matches, 20 wickets @ 26.55 av (2.8 economy rate)
Career: 22 matches, 83 wickets @ 24.85 av (2.94 economy rate)

Ellis is a good prospect, making his debut late in the season. Whether he can carry that form into 2020-21 is the big question as he gets more exposure and teams put more work into him. Given both Meredith and Bell had injuries last year, Bird is another year older and Tassie generally struggle for depth, having Siddle contracted as a replacement for Sindhu is a huge addition.

If you have a bowler with genuine pace anything around 30 is acceptable and if they can do that they are going to get picked.

It's basically the Brett Lee debate which dragged on for 10 years.

You don't want an attack of 4 right arm quicks bowling 130km/h. Too same same.

Meredith can go either way from here but I would be surprised if he wasn't a lock atm in the minds of the Tasmanian coaches and selectors.

If you have a bowler with genuine pace anything around 30 is acceptable and if they can do that they are going to get picked.

It's basically the Brett Lee debate which dragged on for 10 years.

You don't want an attack of 4 right arm quicks bowling 130km/h. Too same same.

Meredith can go either way from here but I would be surprised if he wasn't a lock atm in the minds of the Tasmanian coaches and selectors.

Name one Australian shield fast bowler who has played a whole season leaking 4 runs an over?

James Faulkner and Simon Milenko both axed by Tassie and Peter Siddle has been signed with 2 contracts still up for grabs.

Last edited:
Was wondering when that would finally happen with Faulkner. Wouldn't have played many shield games even out over like a 3 or 4 year period now so the Tasmanian contract was basically just to subsidise his big bash deal at this stage. Unlucky with the injuries as had more ability with bat and ball in red ball cricket than people would give him credit for. If he played as many tests when he was fit as Mitch Marsh has would have done much better than he has to date.

Was wondering when that would finally happen with Faulkner. Wouldn't have played many shield games even out over like a 3 or 4 year period now so the Tasmanian contract was basically just to subsidise his big bash deal at this stage. Unlucky with the injuries as had more ability with bat and ball in red ball cricket than people would give him credit for. If he played as many tests when he was fit as Mitch Marsh has would have done much better than he has to date.
I tend to think one of Faulkner's main problems is that earlier in his career he got pigeonholed in to the "finishing" role in ODI and T20I cricket, which ended up also hurting his red ball cricket. His injuries have not helped this though.

I tend to think one of Faulkner's main problems is that earlier in his career he got pigeonholed in to the "finishing" role in ODI and T20I cricket, which ended up also hurting his red ball cricket. His injuries have not helped this though.
Glenn-Maxwell-CWC19.ashx

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and with his bowling, he was pigeonholed as the guy who bowls lots of slower balls, so why pick him for Shield?

I would have thought that we (Tassie) were more in need of batsmen than bowlers.
I would have thought that we (Tassie) were more in need of batsmen than bowlers.
Well we were possibly getting Darcy Short but that looks like it's not happening now, It will be good if we get Tom Andrews from South Aust though because is a talented player.

Tasmania announces the signing of spin All-rounder Tom Andrews from South Australia,good pick up for Tasmania.

Disappointing they couldn't get Short. Also puzzling from his end on the surface as he would be guaranteed red ball games with a lot more margin for error than in WA you'd think.
I'm not a 100 percent sure if we are not getting Darcy Short but he has recently be seen training with WA.

and with his bowling, he was pigeonholed as the guy who bowls lots of slower balls, so why pick him for Shield?
I would agree with you on that as well. I personally felt he needed to move the ball through the air. The slower ball was his only real variation. I would wonder if this same point is why Gurinder Sandhu has not been given a new contract either.

At the bottom of the Tom Andrews article on the cricket tasmania website they have:

Stay tuned for more signing announcements throughout the week.

I think they only have one spot left now don't they.

I suspect it will be another local given a rookie contract. I don't think they've been linked to anyone else from interstate.

Tom Andrews is a good recruit for depth, but will find it hard to break into the Tasmanian team. Beau Webster had a great season in shield and T20 and would be ahead of Andrews in the 6/7 slot bowling part time spin. Webster has been criticised for his inconsistency but I feel he has finally come to terms with his game and where his value sits - batting down the order in an aggressive manner.

I suspect it will be another local given a rookie contract. I don't think they've been linked to anyone else from interstate.

Tom Andrews is a good recruit for depth, but will find it hard to break into the Tasmanian team. Beau Webster had a great season in shield and T20 and would be ahead of Andrews in the 6/7 slot bowling part time spin. Webster has been criticised for his inconsistency but I feel he has finally come to terms with his game and where his value sits - batting down the order in an aggressive manner.
We were originally linked to Nick Winter but I believe that fell through,another fringe batsman from interstate would be good.

We were originally linked to Nick Winter but I believe that fell through,another fringe batsman from interstate would be good.

2019-20 Squad

Squad: George Bailey, Gabe Bell, Alex Bevilaqua, Jackson Bird, Alex Doolan, Jake Doran, James Faulkner, Caleb Jewell, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Simon Milenko, Tim Paine (CA contract), Alex Pyecroft, Sam Rainbird, Tom Rogers, Gurinder Sandhu, Jordan Silk, Matthew Wade, Charlie Wakim, Beau Webster, Sean Willis

Rookies: Iain Carlisle, Jarrod Freeman, Lawrence Neil-Smith, Keegan Oates, Jack White, Mac Wright

Wade gets upgraded to a CA contract, Ellis gets a contract, Siddle and Andrews in, Mac Wright will get promoted to a senior deal. That leaves 3 senior contracts for Tassie to announce? LSN may also get promoted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back