Off Season Recruiting Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
What are you realistic off-season recruiting expectations for Carlton? That encompasses draft and trade week.

Please be realistic.

What recruiting outcome do you think is challenging, yet still realistically attainable, and if delivered you'd sit back and be happy/content with?

Mine would be :

Get a good young midfielder at pick 5. Midfield is arguably our biggest list hole so we should use our first pick on the best midfielder.

Get Marchbank and Tomlinson without giving up pick 23. Getting these two settles our defense for the future and we still retain a good pick. Whether we get Stewart is irrelevant to me.

I accept we may have to give up pick 41 and maybe some other picks or non crucial players (Kreuzer, Everitt types).

Retain all of our good young players.

I don't expect we will trade Gibbs or Casboult, the two players I believe are the most likely value chips we would potentially entertain trading if the price was right.

So for me we walk away with 4 good young players. Not quite 6 or 7 but better than just 2.

It will be fun to revisit this thread after the draft to see if the club exceeded, met or fell short of your hopes.

Best mid with No.5
Hopefully package 23 with a player for another pick in top 15 and select another mid.
Marchbank and Tomlinson for whatever SOS has planned.
This equates to 5 players. How we make up the remainder of the 7-8 is where SOS will do his best work hopefully.

Should be interesting if we really are cutting 12 players. Probably need some free agents or desisted free agents

Believe we need a 4-1 deal to cover off on the lack of depth once we move on about 10-12 players. GWS looks the most likely target market for this deal again, as long as we get a mix of kids capable of playing seniors, not KJ project types.

Keep pick 5 unless we get 2 under 15 in exchange. Would also help fill list spots with a reasonable chance of success.

Hope that * continue to be w***ers and bid on every decent Academy player with pick 1, so it clears GWS and GCS out of the first and most of the second round.

Mids, mids and more mids unless a KPF presents as a massive bargain. Backline not far off and a better midfield that runs both ways will slow the supply and give our backline guys a chop out.

Rookie or late round ruckman to be backup for our backups.

One more Wright if available, lightning not likely to strike twice.

Believe we need a 4-1 deal to cover off on the lack of depth once we move on about 10-12 players. GWS looks the most likely target market for this deal again, as long as we get a mix of kids capable of playing seniors, not KJ project types.

Keep pick 5 unless we get 2 under 15 in exchange. Would also help fill list spots with a reasonable chance of success.

Really not keen on downgrading pick 5. The top 5(ish) picks is generally where you get your top end talent.

Pick 5 and 23 (and maybe an Everitt type) for JOM and Prestia... Before everyone yells at me about youth etc. IF those two boys were in the draft and you could guarantee getting them with those two picks, you'd do it, surely. So what's the difference?

Also Marchbank is vital. From what I read on here, that's almost a done deal...

That would be our defence and mids covered.

We can develop Harry, Charlie and Jack as our forwards. And next year we go again at the draft...
EDIT: Levi learns to kick. (Thanks RattAttack)

Last edited:
- Keep Pick 5, and maybe grab one of GWS' first rounders ~Pick 15.
- It sounds like we're going to get Marchbank and Tomlinson, so that will probably at the very least require the use of Pick 23 or our 2017 second round pick.
- Rather than targeting big fish like O'Meara or Tom Mitchell we'd be better served looking to shake out players looking for more opportunities (Matthew Wright types) from clubs like GWS (Steele, Barrett), Adelaide (Grigg, Wigg, Lyons), Hawthorn (Whitecross, Langford) and The Bulldogs (Hrovat, Stevens, Honeychurch).
- Add more midfield depth through trades, free agency and the draft.

Pick 5 and 23 (and maybe an Everitt type) for JOM and Prestia... Before everyone yells at me about youth etc. IF those two boys were in the draft and you could guarantee getting them with those two picks, you'd do it, surely....

That is a big if. 84 font, bold. It ain't gonna happen.

Might get them for picks 5 and 23 without Everitt. With Everitt would have to cough up two top ten picks.

- Keep Pick 5, and maybe grab one of GWS' first rounders ~Pick 15.
- It sounds like we're going to get Marchbank and Tomlinson, so that will probably at the very least require the use of Pick 23 or our 2017 second round pick.
- Rather than targetting big fish like O'Meara or Tom Mitchell we'd be better served looking to shake out players looking for more opportunities from clubs like GWS (Steele, Barrett), Adelaide (Grigg, Wigg, Lyons), Hawthorn (Whitecross, Langford) and The Bulldogs (Hrovat, Stevens, Honeychurch).
- Add more midfield depth through trades, free agency and the draft.

What Blugazi said.

Go for the 'big fish' via Free Agency next year.

Now that it is rumoured Tomlinson may not come to Carlton, i really, really want him!

- 4 picks inside 25
- Marchbank & Stewart in exchange for our 2 3rd rounders
- SOS2 & McKay to both put on 5kgs over summer
- Levi learns how to kick straight!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to see us chase Rory Lobb and go hard for Omeara. Both would add youth and excitement to the list. If Omeara's knee is ok he is well worth a high draft pick at his best could be Judd mark II and Lobb is a star in the making.

Really not keen on downgrading pick 5. The top 5(ish) picks is generally where you get your top end talent.
Neither am I, however we need to fill list spots with players capable of being in our best 22. If we could swap 5 for 9 and 14 as an example, would make sense for us to at least consider it. When we have a good list, then you look to go the other way and swap quantity for higher quality.

Too many holes in the list to look at mega upgrades where we add less players/picks than we take out.

z34TlY3.jpg

This'll do as far as trades go.

Marchbank should be our priority. If we can land him we pretty much have our backline sorted for the next decade.
Take the best available player at #5.
We need to get more midfield depth - as mentioned today we should look at someone like Horlin-Smith from Geelong.

I'd love to see us chase Rory Lobb and go hard for Omeara. Both would add youth and excitement to the list. If Omeara's knee is ok he is well worth a high draft pick at his best could be Judd mark II and Lobb is a star in the making.

I am aware that we tried very hard last year to nab Rory Lobb. And I hear that we are still very interested this year....

I hope i am right in my confidence that we are a newer,smarter Club as of last year.

I trust that they will enact Year 2 of a patient, multi year plan to build a competitive list.

In saying that, my outside opinion is to not trade out any of our first 2 Picks this year and next. I think Tuohy is our only viable way left of trading out to get another valuable pick and i would do it, and it looks like SOS will do it.

The players i would think would benefit our list at a payable cost would be Steele and one of Hrovat/Honeychurch.

To me that makes sense, but i'm confident that this mob will be at the very least competant and therefore i will be happy enough.

I would love us to surprise everyone by having a big name player request a trade to us.
Not the usual suspects, someone completely from left field that no one see's coming.
The Bont?

Please say yes.

Would like to see SOS get creative.
Realistically our best chips are. Touhy Everitt our extra 3rd rounder and our future 2nd.
Touhy GCS Swans would be our best bet. GCS have plenty of picks in the range we would accept 20-25
Swans may give up there future first, which we would on trade for a higher pick this year pick 7-12.
Everitt is all but gone to GCS. Luckily Eade rates him highly, we may get a pick in the 20-25 range if we can send them back our extra 3rd rounder or Everitt pick 42 and our future 2nd for pick 10 and 26.
Think our future 2nd may be the key to getting something really good, if we package that pick up with which ever player we trade. We can get maximum return.

We have pick 5 ATM, but because of how that pick is ositioned it's more like pick 3, we get another pick around the 8-14 range and then load up on as many more picks we can get in 20-35 range.
We already have pick 23, there will be some real value in the 2nd round of this years draft.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back