List Mgmt. Off-season- what is your pass mark?

Remove this Banner Ad

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think we nearly all agree we need some changes this off-season. BUT what is your minimum of changes you think the club needs?
This isn’t a thread about sacking Bevo, there are plenty of those to post in. This is a thread about the other changes and who is responsible for making those decisions.

For me, there are 2 key areas we need to improve at a minimum:
1. Playing list - Ruckman & KPD
2. Coaching list - new ideas

1. Playing list needs at least 2 more ruckmen and Sam Darcy doesn’t need to be included in that total. It’s our weakest area and Tim English is clearly a better ruck forward than sole ruck. Our list also needs another KPD. There are some good ones like Schenslog and Skinner performing at the lower level. On current form, either would have played several games for us this year.

2. We haven’t changed our assistant coaches or head coach for about 5 years. This needs to change. We need new ideas and strategies. So for me, I am hoping for at least 2 changes and hopefully more.

What is your minimum expectation of changes during the off-season?

I think we nearly all agree we need some changes this off-season. BUT what is your minimum of changes you think the club needs?
This isn’t a thread about sacking Bevo, there are plenty of those to post in. This is a thread about the other changes and who is responsible for making those decisions.

1. Playing list needs at least 2 more ruckmen and Sam Darcy doesn’t need to be included in that total. It’s our weakest area and Tim English is clearly a better ruck forward than sole ruck. Our list also needs another KPD. There are some good ones like Schenslog and Skinner performing at the lower level. On current form, either would have played several games for us this year.

2. We haven’t changed our assistant coaches or head coach for about 5 years. This needs to change. We need new ideas and strategies. So for me, I am hoping for at least 2 changes and hopefully more.

Pretty well spot on with what you've said here. In coaching in particular, we need someone who can turn around our woeful goalkicking accuracy (admittedly last night was ok, but generally terrible (especially Naughton)

1. Playing list needs at least 2 more ruckmen and Sam Darcy doesn’t need to be included in that total. It’s our weakest area and Tim English is clearly a better ruck forward than sole ruck.
I agree that we need 2 new ruckmen and that both Sweet and Martin could be thanked for their service and sent on their way. Sweet hasn't progressed to the level required and Martin is too banged up to continue. Of course, finding one decent ruckman, let alone two will be a major challenge so it's more likely that at least one of the above will still be with us next season unfortunately.

Last edited:

I agree that we need 2 new ruckmen and that both Sweet and Martin could be thanked for their service and sent on their way. Sweet hasn't progressed to the level required and Martin is too banged up to continue. Of course, finding one decent ruckman, let alone two will be a major challenge so it's more likely that at least one of the above will still be with us next season unfortunately.

I don’t mind retaining both. Martin can coach. Sweet could develop and become better.

Pass mark - shake up the assistant coaches including at least one new face in a relatively prominent role, and at least one competent ruckman added to the list. That’s bare minimum for me.

One good ruckman (not some cooked veteran)
One developing/depth ruck
One KPD as a role player (Clurey/Lienert for example)

I won't pretend to understand our assistant coaching panel well enough to know what needs addressing, outside of getting someone fresh into the group. Bonus if it's one of the head coach rejects from the Pies/Blues/Suns applicants

My ideal offseason would be for Bevo to voluntarily retire for a modest settlement so we have funds to go after a new coach. Then we bring in a ruck. Idk. Ceglar or better? I'd settle for that. That would be enough to give me some hope again.

Lots has to change! At the conclusion of the season the club should tell Beveridge we are moving on all of your assistant coaches (R. Smith, King, Hansen, Maple) and stripping you of all the power you have been afforded. We would have to be the only club in the AFL that has not changed any assistant coaches in 5-6 years and I suspect Beveridge wants it that way because they are all 'Yes' men and just agree with what he says. Why do you think Graeme Lowe is no longer at the club?! He would ask the coach hard questions and the coach didn't like it!

The club should dictate who the new assistant coaches are and they should be targeting people with strong personalities who will challenge Beveridge on all the B.S decisions he makes.

Beveridge should then be made more accountable and asked to explain his decisions and then challenged on them when the club don't agree.

Matthew Innes can go as well. He's been there too long! I don't think we are fit enough and again we need new ideas and methods in the S&C department.

If Beveridge doesn't agree with the changes then he can walk. 'The club is bigger than any 1 individual'.

Thing is I'm not sure what's actually realistic here.

Would like assistant change up and a ruck to come into the club that can last the season and Darcy.

My wish list would be a ready made ruck, who can play around the field as well.

The reality, we don’t have draft picks, none of rucks that meet these requirements are available, we are still in the hunt.

Watching Gawn single handed destroy Geelong last night does show the importance of the ruck role.

As an after thought, we need to do something about our conditioning, Melbourne’s charmed run with injuries is more good planning than luck. We need this part of our club to be reviewed.

Last edited:
As an after thought, we need to do something about our conditioning, Melbourne’s charmed run with injuries is more good planning than luck. We need this part of our club to be reviewed.
I would absolutely love to pinch Darren Burgess from the Demons. The guy is an absolute jet and any team he has been at has been a league/competition leader in fitness levels and injury prevention. Pay him whatever he wants.

Apart from that, I'd back in our list management team to address our deficiencies. They have managed to at least provide solutions to our list gaps in each of the previous off-seasons. Although Martin hasn't worked out perfectly it was a valid strategy. We have managed to do this while keeping quite a strong draft hand. For any players that want to depart that still have currency, I'd back Power to get maximum return while using any assets to target needs. Like Rome, list builds aren't built in a day (or a single off-season) so I think they'll continue their past good work.

Coaching... possibly some fresh voices could be good but it's pretty impossible to say without being inside. It's generally the same group that has returned good results for us the past years. I think this year is the only season I'd have us underachieving with our list if we end up out in 1st round. Other years we were re-tooling, had too many list gaps or were too young/inexperienced. I think some mentoring for Bevo would be good in the effect of his mood can have on the group, but this is a double edged sword because his greatest strength can also be a weakness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would absolutely love to pinch Darren Burgess from the Demons. The guy is an absolute jet and any team he has been at has been a league/competition leader in fitness levels and injury prevention. Pay him whatever he wants.

Apart from that, I'd back in our list management team to address our deficiencies. They have managed to at least provide solutions to our list gaps in each of the previous off-seasons. Although Martin hasn't worked out perfectly it was a valid strategy. We have managed to do this while keeping quite a strong draft hand. For any players that want to depart that still have currency, I'd back Power to get maximum return while using any assets to target needs. Like Rome, list builds aren't built in a day (or a single off-season) so I think they'll continue their past good work.

Coaching... possibly some fresh voices could be good but it's pretty impossible to say without being inside. It's generally the same group that has returned good results for us the past years. I think this year is the only season I'd have us underachieving with our list if we end up out in 1st round. Other years we were re-tooling, had too many list gaps or were too young/inexperienced. I think some mentoring for Bevo would be good in the effect of his mood can have on the group, but this is a double edged sword because his greatest strength can also be a weakness.
I thought Burgess was heading home to Adelaide and taking a role at the Crows.

List wise a ruck we can get at least 2-3 years out of. We can worry about the long term ruck dilemma later with Darcy and Sweet but if we got someone like McEvoy for 2-4 years it would give us the best chance to win flags in that timespan and also buy us time to develop our younger rucks for the future.

KPD we don't need an AA big name like Rance or Grimes. Just need 1-2 195cm players that can hold their ground. Keath with another recruited KPD and Lewis Young if the switch flicks and he comes real good, would give us a great backline.

Think this is pretty spot on - we have a good, deep list in many positions and have two glaring issues that you’ve identified. Most watchers would pick those out too I’d imagine. Might not be that easy getting good trade value because of that but let’s see how Power goes.

My main desired change (which I’ve said many times before so apologies in advance) is in relation to team selection. Stop playing some guys for long stretches to give them a run of games even when not performing, but dropping others after one poor performance or only one chance in the team. Stop picking players in the wrong positions - if they’re fifth choice half back then they don’t play, stop playing them as a small forward or winger. Pick your best player for that position, not what you think are your best 22 players then try and fashion a structure out of that.

I’ve heard many media “experts” say that we have selection integrity at the dogs because Bevo’s not frightened to drop players, that we’ve used lots more than other teams etc. Well, I don’t think we have selection integrity if JJ is still playing in the forward line in a role that requires pressure and he finds it difficult to tackle a ham sandwich.

If there is any silver lining to come out of the shitshow of the last few weeks, it’s that surely there is some soul-searching about how we ended up there. There will absolutely be personnel changes and I’d guess a change in approach - not too much given the positives of the season, but where improvements are required.

List wise a ruck we can get at least 2-3 years out of. We can worry about the long term ruck dilemma later with Darcy and Sweet but if we got someone like McEvoy for 2-4 years it would give us the best chance to win flags in that timespan and also buy us time to develop our younger rucks for the future.

KPD we don't need an AA big name like Rance or Grimes. Just need 1-2 195cm players that can hold their ground. Keath with another recruited KPD and Lewis Young if the switch flicks and he comes real good, would give us a great backline.
Power had some serious discussions with McEvoy last year about coming to the Bulldogs but he decided to stay and the Hawks made him captain.

We really don’t need much. The reality is that we were top 2 for 20 weeks of the year. Just some minor astute trades to fill in some holes and we should be okay. The list in very close to premiership standard. We don’t have too many old guys expected to drop off next year so we can afford to top up with some mature age players.

Players I’d like to acquire that won’t cost much:
- Jon Ceglar
- Tom Lynch
- Some cheap KPD depth

My expectations of this off season would be

-Remove the dead wood from our rookie list
- Trade out our first rounder for second-third
- We have enough smalls so time to draft tall in the draft (Darcy, Raak, Bailey Van)
- Look to secure a one year stop gap for Bruce (prime example of Gunston) with/or use English as Full Time Forward
- Further, expand our coaching ranks with outside talent (Dew, Teague, Betts etc)
- Secure our long term ruck option (Hayden McLean my number 1 target)

I agree with most of the above-
- ruck
- kpd
- fitness /injury review
- new assistant coach/s

I would also like us to get another small forward. Weightman has come on well but Cavarra has not and I am not sure about Garcia in that role rather than mid.

My expectations of this off season would be

-Remove the dead wood from our rookie list
- Trade out our first rounder for second-third
- We have enough smalls so time to draft tall in the draft (Darcy, Raak, Bailey Van)
- Look to secure a one year stop gap for Bruce (prime example of Gunston) with/or use English as Full Time Forward
- Further, expand our coaching ranks with outside talent (Dew, Teague, Betts etc)
- Secure our long term ruck option (Hayden McLean my number 1 target)
If we secure a ruck option, do we still need a stop gap for Bruce or does English playing permanently forward cover that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back