FB_IMG_1499394779009.jpg

Dec 7, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Villa, McLaren F1, ENG
moto748 Souths to play Wigan in Sydney Feb 17 next year

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/07/27/rabbitohs_vs_wigan_i.html

The Rabbitohs’ 2018 pre-season will kick off with a bang when South Sydney take on the Wigan Warriors in one half of an international double header at ANZ Stadium on Saturday 17 February.

The red and greens will take on the cherry and whites, with the St George Illawarra Dragons set to do battle with Hull FC on the same night, also at ANZ Stadium.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
And playing a SL fixture against Hull FC at the Gong the previous weekend.

On my birthday, as it happens...

oz1235

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2012
Tatura
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tatura
And playing a SL fixture against Hull FC at the Gong the previous weekend.

On my birthday, as it happens...
Hell opps Hull or Woollongong..... I do not know what worse. Playing in Hull or Playing in the Gong.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Greg Inglis allegedly racially abused at Penrith and booed off the field by opposition fans when injured. NRL to investigate.

Also alleged taunts by opposition fans towards the Burgess family.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Greg Inglis allegedly racially abused at Penrith and booed off the field by opposition fans when injured. NRL to investigate.

Also alleged taunts by opposition fans towards the Burgess family.

An interesting change of tune to your post on another part of the forum.

I'm sure the NRL with take firm action when they do find the culprit and yes RL does have a great record for this type of rubbish NOT happening.

Greenstar5

All Australian
Jun 21, 2017
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone else heard about this ESL style magic weekend at Suncorp, round 10 next year. All 8 games over 4 days in Brisbane.

Most are reporting that it will host. Paul Kent says is approved to host.

How is this good? Surely it won't happen.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Anyone else heard about this ESL style magic weekend at Suncorp, round 10 next year. All 8 games over 4 days in Brisbane.

Your post is the first I'd thought of it - I try to veer away from Murdoch media. But on face value it's s**t. You're penalising teams and fans of 15 teams for what is a marketing gimmick - and a gimmick that is unlikely to succeed. Who is going to care about the matches and attend them?

If we had a starved, ready to go market I'd have different thoughts (Perth is probably the closest we have.) But as it is apparently proposed Brisbane get the home game they would've gotten anyway, and no one gets any material benefit from it.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
It seems much less of a good idea for you guys than it does for us; I'd agree with the criticism upthread. And in fact here many don't like the idea (me included), but at least here it makes a bit more of a showcase event which we need more than you do.

What I would like to see is if you had a Challenge Cup equivalent, to see some non-NRL sides try their luck against the big boys. But sadly, I know that won't happen.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles

Daresay it will. Which is annoying.

I'd be tempted to fly up for it, purely for getting to see all the games but there's some serious flaws in it. For one, the Suncorp turf is awful at the best of times, let alone with 8 games in 3 days.

Horrible for anyone not in Brisbane.

Greenstar5

All Australian
Jun 21, 2017
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
My thoughts on improving Thursday Night Football.

Using the 2018 fixture as a guide. Thursday nights are part of the weekly fixture up to round 12; the round before Origin. During the Origin period, rounds only include Fri, Sat, Sun games to allow full recovery and byes. Thursday nights recommence round 19 one week after the 3rd origin and continue to the last round.

This makes 19 rounds of Thursday nights, if every team; bar Warriors, had 1 Thursday night home game. Means only 4 remaining teams have to double up. Broncos are an easy team to give 2 Thursday nights too.

Southern cities; Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney Newcastle get Thursday nights earlier in the year to take advantage of good weather. Queensland cities later when it is colder down south.

Kick off no later than 750pm.

Cheap ass tickets. Kids free. Games in states when school holidays are on.

Could we have something like Roosters Members have free entry to ANZ for the game against the Dogs?

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Sport always has a bit of luck involved and sadly none went the BC's way. Boult's unlucky attempt to catch Stokes, the ball running away to the boundary, Taylor out when clearly not out. In the end though, they were 10-30 runs short.

It was an amazing effort all the same and credit to Kane Williamson who gets the very best out of his players.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
There was a lot of talk in the press here saying that England were wrongly awarded six runs from that overthrow, it should have been five, and Stokes should not have been on strike. Can't really blame the umpires on the pitch, but as they have, in effect, video refs...

Greenstar5

All Australian
Jun 21, 2017
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
For anyone interested in a good Rugby League podcast. The Matty John's Podcast with Finchy and Kenty is first class. Comes out Wednesdays. Also has interviews with people and talks about other good, podcasts, docos, movies etc.

Back