Off the top of your head...

Remove this Banner Ad

...when was the last time an AFL/VFL game had both teams goalless at half-time?
It's happened 4 times over the years. I'm not sure whether you just want to know the answer (or whether you want people to play guessing games), so ...!:
Here's the 3 earlier cases:
Incredibly, one club was involved in all four of those games, and won them all!

Last edited:
Yep, Rd 17 in 1984 at the Western Oval, Foots vs Ess. 0.7 (7) each at halftime.

The next day on World Of Sport Peter McKenna interviewed the coaches Sheedy (Ess) and Malthouse (Foots). He started by saying the final score Ess 4.10 (34) Foots 3.14 (32) reflected what a lousy game it was.

Sheedy immediately answered, "On the contrary. It was one of the finest games of football I've ever been associated with."

I had to agree. Both teams' defences played superbly.

Last edited:

The next day on World Of Sport Peter McKenna interviewed the coaches Sheedy (Ess) and Malthouse (Foots). He started by saying the final score Ess 4.10 (34) Foots 3.14 (32) reflected what a lousy game it was.

Sheedy immediately answered, "On the contrary. It was one of the finest games of football I've ever been associated with."

From the Canberra Times report

Essendon kicked only four goals against Footscray - but still managed to grab top place.
Neither side scored a goal in the first half in the pouring rain and were level at seven behind each.
Footscray left its recognised full forward, Simon Beasley, out of the team because of the poor weather.
His place was taken by Steve McPherson who played the first quarter in the reserves before selectors decided to use him in the senior match.
The tactic may have backfired on Footscray because of lack of experience in front of the goals.
The Bulldogs did not kick their first goal until 10 minutes into the last quarter.

Both Little League teams kicked a goal in the Half Time game that day at Footscray.
Footscray 1.3.9 d Essendon 1.0.6
The seniors played for over an hour for no goals, the kids came out and kicked one each in under 15 minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back