2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think we have a proper Swans academy thread so i thought i would create one based on this news

The QBE Sydney Swans Academy will step up a level this evening when the first match of the inaugural Academy Cup commences under lights at Lakeside Oval (Tramway Oval).

Being held from 5pm every Wednesday for the next 24 weeks, the Academy Cup forms an integral part of the development process for players in the under-13, under-14 and under-15 age groups.

During the Academy Cup, players will be exposed to an elevated playing environment which they would normally only get once or twice a year through representative carnivals.

Now, Academy players will have a dedicated timeslot where they can play full length, fast-paced, high intensity matches with coaching staff looking on to provide instant feedback and advice.

Matches will be filmed and then uploaded to sydneyswans.com.au each Friday, with commentary from QBE Sydney Swans Academy head coach Paul Roos identifying areas of strength and weakness. It will be an invaluable learning tool for all players involved.

The Academy Cup will also allow coaches to tailor particular game styles which will best prepare players for life in the red and white guernsey when they’re eligible to be drafted.

Roos said he’s excited about the Academy Cup starting.

“The boys will get to play with and against all of the best players and it’s a great learning tool for them,” Roos said.

“I’ll be out there umpiring and showing the kids how to play (Roos will be able to stop matches and direct players).

“The other coaches also get a chance to coach and learn their craft as well so there are a lot of really good aspects about the Academy Cup.

“One of the great things is all of the parents come along and watch their boy play which is great.”

Players from all over the Swans’ zone - which takes in half of Sydney, the Illawarra and Northern NSW - will travel to Sydney to take part in the Cup.

The Academy has been running in the Swans’ zone for just over a year now and already in that time there’s been remarkable improvement and development in players.

“The feedback we get from parents, kids and coaches has been really positive,” Roos said.

“We know we’ve got a way to go and it’s only been operational for one year but already the signs are really good.”

The QBE Sydney Swans Academy Cup will run from tonight until mid-September, with a full schedule able to be found here.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/130180/default.aspx

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Interesting. Could we get our first proper look at guys like Perris or Jalloh? I certainly hope so..

They aren't in the age group that this Academy Cup is aimed at. We probably would have seen a bit of Perris this year playing for the reserves but I read that he has ruptured his ACL, meaning we probably won't get to see him. Jalloh (as well as Perris) is still a year and a half away from draft age but it is possible he could get a run with the reserves later in the year, particularly while the U18 champs are on if some of this year's draft crop are missing.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Jeffers

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal/Penrith/LA Lakers
Wow i remember Sunny playing a decent game against the Dees in 2002. Too bad injuries ruined his career. Had a touch of class about his game.

drivative

Debutant
Aug 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Socceroos
You don't play in the AFL yet, Dever.
Read an article the other day suggesting the AFL are happy to let Aussie rules be referred to north of the border as AFL to clearly differentiate it from other types of footy.
So if that's true, don't blame those saying they play AFL.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Academy players step it up
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/132347/default.aspx
Players from the QBE Sydney Swans Academy top-end squad will be given the opportunity to train at senior level this year.

In a new initiative by the Academy, a rotation of four boys from the program’s under-18 squad will be given the chance to train with Sydney Swans senior group on the SCG throughout the season.

Swans Academy Talent ID and Operations Manager Chris Smith said Tuesday’s training session was the first of many opportunities for the Swans Academy players to experience training at the elite level.

“The idea is for our top-end Academy squad to be given opportunities to train with the senior group throughout the year,” he said.

“This week, which is the first week, we had Stephen Wray, Rory Pryor, Lachlan Kilpatrick and Brandon Jack training with the group.
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/132347/default.aspx

(Log in to remove this ad.)

reidfactor

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 4, 2012
DEEP INSIDE ALTARBOY ROB'S HEAD!!
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
WOMENS BEACH VOLLEYBALL

whats the word on the sydney streets about brandon jack?

alot of people have forgotten about this little gem, very valuable asset hididing away atm(potentially)

would a guy like jack be better off training with the seniors on a permanent basis, instead of getting 1 week every 5 there... im not sure how good the sydney academy is thou... interesting

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
whats the word on the sydney streets about brandon jack?

alot of people have forgotten about this little gem, very valuable asset hididing away atm(potentially)

would a guy like jack be better off training with the seniors on a permanent basis, instead of getting 1 week every 5 there... im not sure how good the sydney academy is thou... interesting

Why Jack and not the rest of the top age Academy players? I imagine the club believes several of them are a real chance to earn a spot on next year's list, and their introduction to the senior team's training regime is another test of how they might adapt.

Of this year's potential draft crop that I have seen a bit of (playing in the reserves), Stephen Wray and Daniel Robinson are probably the most advanced in their development, courtesy of having been scholarship players since they were 14 or 15.

Riders of Rohan

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2010
Vic
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Fins,Rovers,Sharks,Cards,Pistons
It said a rotation of four boys liz. So they all will have had a chance at the end of the year hopefully.

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It said a rotation of four boys liz. So they all will have had a chance at the end of the year hopefully.

I know that. My post was in response to the one above that queried why someone like Jack was only going to get to train on a rotational basis, rather than permanently. I was pointing out that while he might have the most noteworthy surname of our senior academy crop, and while he has shown some promise, he is far from the only player contending for a list spot next year.

If some of these players were to get to train permanently with the senior team, there would probably be a dozen or so in contention, and presumably that is too many to easily absorb in the full training squad without diluting the quality of the training session.

Riders of Rohan

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2010
Vic
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Fins,Rovers,Sharks,Cards,Pistons
My mistake, I thought you were quoting the article as well :)

Didn't even see Reidfactors post.

Jakeeboy

Senior List
Oct 9, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Kieren Jacks brother's talent is immense. Watched him a few times in Junior footy and he can run all day... and night.

TheGong

Senior List
Sep 14, 2006
Wollongong
AFL Club
Sydney
In a first for the QBE Sydney Swans Academy, two players have been selected in the Combined High Schools (CHS) Under-15 All Australian Schoolboy Team.

Callum Mills and Tim Coenen, who have been members of the Swans Academy program since 2010, performed strongly in the recent CHS National Schoolboy Championships held in Adelaide from July 21-28

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/143280/default.aspx

Also related to this but not academy news, future father son propect Josh Dunkley made the same Under-15 All Australian Schoolboy Team. Three players with Swan links in the U15 Australian side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back