2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone know anything about Jack Barling? I've been told to keep an eye out for him.
Plays Full Forward. Very good overhead mark, particularly when given space to run at the ball (think Reid) and generally a good long kick. Good prospect although it's always hard to tell how a 16 year FF will go as they develop and move into adult football.

One of a few good Academy prospects currently in the Rams team.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Very good win for the Rams U16s against Tasmania yesterday to finish off their campaign:

NSW/ACT Rams - 11.13.79
Tasmania - 7.10.52

NSW/ACT goals - Delahunty 2, MaGuire 2, Barling 2, Allen, Parker, Thorn, Mack, Russell
NSW/ACT best - Martin, Maguire, Brewer, Green, Dol, Delahunty, Kannan​

Reports from a couple of parents today was that Tasmania were extremely physical and really went out to rough up all the Rams boys from before the opening bounce through to the last minute.

Kyle Martin from the Swans Academy was named BOG, despite being targeted for a lot of the rough stuff apparently due to his strong game against NT on Tuesday. Other Swans Academy boys named in the best were Harry Maguire, Nick Brewer, Jacob Dol and Matt Kannan.

TheGong

Senior List
Sep 14, 2006
Wollongong
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone know anything about Jack Barling? I've been told to keep an eye out for him.

Ranked as one of the top ten from the U16 championships.

Jackson Barling
NSW/ACT
HT: 181cm
WT: 75kg
DOB: 17/8/01

A medium-sized forward with some of the surest pairs of hands of any player in the Championships. As a focal point in the forward line, Barling presents well at the footy and reads the flight of the ball coming in with smarts. The son of Tim Barling, who played 14 games for Richmond between 1984-85, and 13 for Sydney between 1989 and 1990.

Ranked as one of the top ten from the U16 championships.

Jackson Barling
NSW/ACT
HT: 181cm
WT: 75kg
DOB: 17/8/01

A medium-sized forward with some of the surest pairs of hands of any player in the Championships. As a focal point in the forward line, Barling presents well at the footy and reads the flight of the ball coming in with smarts. The son of Tim Barling, who played 14 games for Richmond between 1984-85, and 13 for Sydney between 1989 and 1990.

181cm = medium sized?

More interesting bits reading Roos's book. He reckons the coaching at the Academies (I guess he can only talk about the Swans Academy) is better from a player development point of view than the TAC Cup. He labels the TAC Cup a showcase competition where there are so many good players anyway, they are the ones who end up standing out. He also slams the rules in TAC Cup that stipulate that a certain number of players must be in each zone and that tagging isn't allowed. He postulates this creates an artificial playing environment that makes it more difficult for those draftees to adjust to AFL where these restrictions don't exist.

Whereas at the Swans Academy, his main goal was to develop each player's all round skills, and not for it to be an opportunity for bigger, faster athletes to dominate their less developed teammates/opponents.

I particularly like this paragraph, although I think Heeney could do that at AFL level anyway.

tHoXmA2.png

I wonder who he is talking about here:
JTE0bkc.png

0p9atqy.png

Also he casually drops in the fact he recommended Rampe to the Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Also he casually drops in the fact he recommended Rampe to the Swans.

Seems a touch rich given Rampe went to Williamstown cos the Swans (under Roos) wouldn't draft him despite the fact he was playing in the 2s regularly and kicking goals (figuratively and literally).

Dogs almost drafted him when he was at Williamstown. If that had happened, we'd be blaming Roos for not getting him while we could. Sure, he might not have been ready when he was with us but I don't think you can give Roosy toooo much credit there.

How much say would the senior coach have in recruitment of players though? Unless he specifically ruled out Rampe, I think it's a bit much to blame his non-recruitment squarely on Roos. It should be the recruiting manager that shoulders most of the blame. (cue swansfan51)

The story about how he recommended Rampe was that he was watching the UNSW team play in the SFL because his son was playing there and thought he was worth a look at in the NEAFL as a top up player. Now given that Rampe won the SFL B&F I'm not sure how much was based on Roos's recommendation alone and how much the Swans already knew about him.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Are you his Father or something? ;) Seriously though, he does look an interesting prospect and does make the fact that he missed out on Allies selection even more puzzling. Apparently the Swans were pretty pissed off about that.

So do you think he might be a genuine chance of being picked up in the draft? I've heard that the Swans may have cooled on James Bell after an indifferent Allies campaign and Jack Hardman may also be questionable at this stage.

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep Johnston was the most talented dud we recruited in the last 20 years. Great mark and kick but did not apply himself.
I spoke to Johnston the year he was drafted. He stated that "it doesnt matter if I dont make it I will go home and surf with my mates" and "Do you have the number of the 16 year old school girl, that I spoke earlier today"! Zero commitment.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back