Mega Thread Official 2012 Trade period discussion thread - 8th-26th October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, these are some bad trades. Even Morton is worth more than 88. Gys a contracted player traded for a guy who is out of contract when we have the 3rd pick in the pre season draft, could of just delisted Bate or Bennel for him. We wanted pick 33 for Martin, did we get it? Our list management just bent right over today.

Vim Fuego

Debutant
Sep 14, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
The problem is we boxed ourselves into a corner when we took so many players in early. In itself it isn't a problem if you trade out players in tandem but we didn't. Opposition clubs know that our lack of list space would force our hand as we need to drop players and they have waited till the last minute to get bargain deals.

Sure we'll delist a few like Bate but we didn't plan on delisting Gys and Martin but due to 11th hour dealings we've made desperate trades. I'm happy with the overall approach but we've made some technical blunders these 3 weeks including getting Byrnes under FA rather than delisted FA or trade.

I'm not sure. There was like 10-12 players uncontracted going into the free agency/draft period...having said that we've actually moved on contracted players. If it was about freeing up space then there's a whole bunch of uncontracted players that could be just crossed off the list to make room.

In hindsight, I think we may have been able to acquire Byrnes through the trading period, but we couldn't have known that we'd get such a raw deal from the compensation for Moloney & Rivers.

demon21

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2003
Tasmania
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
melbourne/Chargers
Can't believe we're losing Martin, Gysberts and Morton, and not getting a single <50 pick in return.

I'll say this - we better not **** up pick 4.

Why would a club offer a decent pick for players like Morton and Gysberts, Morton is soft as butter and hasnt showed that he is worth a decent pick the fact is if he stayed he would most likely be delisted next season anyway.

As for Gysbert we won 4 games this year and have 1 of the worse midfields in the comp and he played 1 game or something like that this season, so clearly neeld and co dont think he is up to scratch and are letting him go now.

Good. You've made your position clear, hence you've got nothing more to add. Now STFU.
I've been a member for 10 years, and I'll say what I like mate.

I admire you all for your blind faith, and I want nothing more than for you to be right.

I just want to win games too, but this is not how to go about what Jimmy did for us.

May 8, 2011
loɔɐʇıou:
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I want to cry, I have never felt so hopeless as an MFC supporter. This is just tragic, and could spell the death of this footy club unless something amazing happens. Sorry, Jimmy.
HFF... are you maybe hitting the booze to celebrate muck up? This is panic-stricken and short-sighted trading but it's not going to be the end of the club.

HFF... are you celebrating muck up day a little hard? This is panic-stricken sighted trading but it's not going to be the end of the club
Probably, I do have exams in a week. Forgive me for the lunacy if there is any. Still bullshit changes though, utter trash.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Hogan isn't even rated the best in his own draft, let alone 'in years'.

He was the best KPF in the 3 month window for minidraft eligibility.

We spent pick 3 on him because there wasn't a KPF available this year who is better than him and the coaching staff would believe that we won't get a pick high enough to get Thomas Boyd (or any of the other highly ranked KPF's) next year.

Not really sure where you think our other top 5 mid is coming from...

He is the best 17yo Forward to come through in a long time,

Viney is top 5 in my mind and pick 4 will be a midfielder. relax

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
I'd like to say I'm surprised that we let Martin go so cheaply but , given the pathetic deals involving Morton and Gysberts, it's no surprise at all. But it is by far the worst of today's three dud deals. With the changes to the ruck rules next season Martin has real value. It's a shame Neeld and co couldn't see that. If we can use picks 49 and 53 together to gain Ray it will be some consolation, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's a real shame that a great first week of trading has been dragged down with what we've seen happen in the past day or so. As RandB said earlier, players like Gysberts have currency. If we had to trade him we should have gotten a much better deal, but IMO he was well worth keeping. His first season was fantastic and he's had injury problems since. Someone claimed earlier that he had failed to play well in the VFL but that simply wasn't true. He was regularly among Casey's best. The question was, why wasn't he given a chance in the senior team? Clearly it wasn't VFL form so it's fair to assume he was on the outer with Neeld. As for Morton, there isn't much love for him on this site, but he too was very good in his first year or so and has had injury problems since. That turnover against Collingwood was a shocker, but you could find countless errors almost as bad from Frawley this year. He too has had only one truly good year and had a year from hell in 2012, but no one is calling for him to be given away .. and nor should they.

I wouldn't say I share the same blind faith in Neeld that others on this site seem to have. His coaching performance in 2012 did nothing to earn such unquestioning respect. However, I'm hoping that he knows what he's doing and that we'll see the team benefit from these changes and become a force again. But if 2013 is as disappointing as 2012 and we see players like Martin, Gysberts and Morton flourish at their new clubs I wouldn't expect Neeld to still be here in 2014.

Vim Fuego

Debutant
Sep 14, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Steven Trigg Adelaide CEO just quoted saying, "It's a reasonably tough patch (for us)".

Haha sucked in Crows.

I'm not sure. There was like 10-12 players uncontracted going into the free agency/draft period...having said that we've actually moved on contracted players. If it was about freeing up space then there's a whole bunch of uncontracted players that could be just crossed off the list to make.

Mate it's pretty obvious that Neeld had designated certain players as not required or at least tradeable prior to trade week. I'm talking about some players with currency. It was up to Harrington and co to put in a strategy before trade week. Collingwood did it beautifully.

You're right, we do have a lot of uncontracted players who can go to make space so i may have exagerated a little but I'm not sure the club planned on simply cutting that many for nothing if the ND picks we have are so crap. It will be interesting though to see how active we are in the PSD and delisted FA, we traded for Rodan so anything is possible.

Deenamite

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2007
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
We backed ourself into a corner with the Jamar deal. We wanted to be seen as a credible place for free agents to sign and Jamar was supposed to signal that. But I'd honestly rather Stef. He's actually mobile, can touch the ground and isn't tied to a big contract.

May 8, 2011
loɔɐʇıou:
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Maybe we overrated those guys.
Or maybe the club underrates them.
Statistically, Gysberts is a better player than Caddy, why was there such a yawning gulf between their trade value?
Could we possibly be better off with a pick we won't use than we would with Cale Morton?
Why didn't we sign Rodan once he became a delisted free agent and therefore not sacrifice anything for him?
Why didn't we trade for Byrnes or wait until he became a delisted free agent too, thus avoiding the way our compensation picks got totally rooted?
These are legitimate questions to ask about our trading strategy.

"HELP UP RECRUIT THE BEST"
Don McLardy said:
“We are building a war chest, and we need the support of our members to take full advantage of the opportunities upon us for the 2012 trade period,” he said.

McLardy made it very clear that the Club would be aggressive in the market place.

“We have the advantage of early picks, and we will be very smart about who we target, and at what cost,” he said.

In: Dawes, Hogan, Rodan, Byrnes, Barry, Pedersen, Picks 53, 49, 73

Out: Martin, Gysberts, Morton Picks 3,13,63

Who have I missed, can't keep up.

Beats

Club Legend
Jul 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ivanhoe
He is the best 17yo Forward to come through in a long time,

Viney is top 5 in my mind and pick 4 will be a midfielder. relax

Fair enough in regards to Viney, I read the comment and assumed you meant two top 5 picks.

Let's agree to disagree re: Hogan. Thomas Boyd will be the number one pick next year, Hogan would've been top 5. The club believes we won't have a pick to get either of them next year, hence traded pick 3 for Hogan who is better than any available KPF this year.

Additionally, Patton and Daniher have both been drafted within the last year. I'd say he's on a level with Patton and that Daniher is ahead of both.

Vim Fuego

Debutant
Sep 14, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Mate it's pretty obvious that Neeld had designated certain players as not required or at least tradeable prior to trade week. I'm talking about some players with currency. It was up to Harrington and co to put in a strategy before trade week. Collingwood did it beautifully.

You're right, we do have a lot of uncontracted players who can go to make space so i may have exagerated a little but I'm not sure the club planned on simply cutting that many for nothing if the ND picks we have are so crap. It will be interesting though to see how active we are in the PSD and delisted FA, we traded for Rodan so anything is possible.

I think the problem may have been that our tradeable players were just not high enough on the 'wanted' lists of opposition clubs. North had been chasing Boak, then Caddy, then Jacobs amongst others. Gys was a fallback option for them. Brisbane were chasing Tippett then Dawes, and Martin was a fallback option for them. Morts, well no one was chasing him, we practically had to beg WCE to take him. Its fair to say our players were probably seen to be 'low priority', and thus put on the backburner until other deals got sorted out. I'm not sure we could've got a top 25 pick for Gysberts had our strategy been different.

Now say if Col Sylvia had've been involved or James Frawley (I personally dont think they should be traded), we would've been able to work a couple of favourable trades earlier on in the trading period to then give us more options. I think we've done OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back