Mega Thread Official 2012 Trade period discussion thread - 8th-26th October

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough in regards to Viney, I read the comment and assumed you meant two top 5 picks.

Let's agree to disagree re: Hogan. Thomas Boyd will be the number one pick next year, Hogan would've been top 5. The club believes we won't have a pick to get either of them next year, hence traded pick 3 for Hogan who is better than any available KPF this year.

Additionally, Patton and Daniher have both been drafted within the last year. I'd say he's on a level with Patton and that Daniher is ahead of both.

Yeah i think Boyd was 16 at the start of the season? doesnt change that Hogan is an exiting prospect as a forward, He is being mentioned like Patton and Boyd ect which is a wrap in itself.

I was trying to throw some positive energy amongst all this angst

Probably, I do have exams in a week. Forgive me for the lunacy if there is any. Still bullshit changes though, utter trash.

Seriously. Just go back and just watch the one game Gys played this year, the few Martin played this year. Aside from the freo match he did nothing. We were all calling for the coaches to cut the dead wood. Well sure we lost some potential but that's about all you can trade off our list. Would you rather we keep these players who can't handle the pressure? If we kept the same list we might get a little improvement, we might win two or three games next year, and you've said it yourself we need experience. We can't just stick with the kids like we have under bailey.

Neeld.............V
fw7LH.gif

..............^ Morton, Martin & Gysberts

I think the problem may have been that our tradeable players were just not high enough on the 'wanted' lists of opposition clubs. North had been chasing Boak, then Caddy, then Jacobs amongst others. Gys was a fallback option for them. Brisbane were chasing Tippett then Dawes, and Martin was a fallback option for them. Morts, well no one was chasing him, we practically had to beg WCE to take him. Its fair to say our players were probably seen to be 'low priority', and thus put on the backburner until other deals got sorted out. I'm not sure we could've got a top 25 pick for Gysberts had our strategy been different.

Now say if Col Sylvia had've been involved or James Frawley (I personally dont think they should be traded), we would've been able to work a couple of favourable trades earlier on in the trading period to then give us more options. I think we've done OK.

We gained Pedo and some worthless draft picks for Gysberts and Martin (both contracted), it's a fail no matter how you look at it. A top 25 pick for Gys? Of course not, a pick like a second rounder which we could have entraded or perhaps bundling Gys and Martin together for more useable picks would have been more useful.

Only one I am perplexed about is Martin.

The rest had it coming
Agree with this. WHo gives a stuff about Morton and JG. Martin was the real loss and for no real return.

Loving every minute of our trade week. Love it. Looooooove it. Can I say it again? LOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!

Our list has been poo for a long time and we have drafted very, very poorly. We've wanted, and needed, the clean out for years and it's finally happening. Gys, Martin, Morton... no drama for me whatsoever that they are gone. Not one bit. They might have had talent but clearly their application and commitment to the cause was not up to scratch. We have a proper FD with one of the best fitness gurus in the land and they would know far better than us about what we need and who isn't up to it.

We now have premiership experience, hard working, culture changing players on our list to support the younger brigade and we can only get much, much, MUCH better from here.

Anyone who thinks otherwise can go back to watching us get smashed every week and hope some of these guys come good.

Yeah i think Boyd was 16 at the start of the season? doesnt change that Hogan is an exiting prospect as a forward, He is being mentioned like Patton and Boyd ect which is a wrap in itself.

I was trying to throw some positive energy amongst all this angst

I definitely rate Hogan, he has all the tools to be an elite player and IMO was worth the pick we gave up for him.

I was just trying to be realistic amongst all the over-reactions currently going on...

No Ray deal in the end. Disappointing. A lot to prove next year.

I think Rodan was the alternative to Ray. I doubt we were planning on bringing both in..

Don't really agree with all the doom and gloom here re: trading period. I must be in the minority who thinks it's been mostly successful, considering what players we realistically had a crack at. If the 4 mature recruits get through preseason unscathed, I think they'll surprise people with what they can bring to the table. We'll have young Viney and either Wines or Toumpas in all likelihood pushing for selection early on, and Jesse Hogan ready to go R1. 2014.

We've sent a message to the playing group that players' junior reputation and number in the draft mean nothing. Buy in or leave. Fantastic! I'm also just happy to offload a coaster to the coasters..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess we got all those mid-late piclks to get Farren Ray at the last minute

Damn it, we missed the boat there

Then that Martin trade was a load of balls
A last ditch effort at nothingness.

We lose a useful tall who Brisbane have been eyeing out for a while now for unusable picks.

Then that Martin trade was a load of balls

Agree but I reckon the club was just happy to let him go somewhere he could get a better opportunity. Better to have a reputation of doing right by players who want out than something akin to Junior.

Stefan Martin, an athletic ruck/forward, who is under contract to us. And we give him away for ******* useless picks. What in the name of * is this club doing.

We got Tom McDonald at pick #53 2 years back, and there's more depth in this draft due to the GWS draft pre-listing concessions back then. I'd back us to get a couple of good players at 49 & 53. Let's face it, we would've delisted Stef Martin next season anyway and got nothing.

We got Tom McDonald at pick #53 2 years back, and there's more depth in this draft due to the GWS draft pre-listing concessions back then. I'd back us to get a couple of good players at 49 & 53. Let's face it, we would've delisted Stef Martin next season anyway and got nothing.

Yeah people forget that this. Tynan was also at about pick 50 wasnt he?

Martin is s**t
It doesn't matter what we think of him.

He means more to Brisbane than what a couple of shithouse draft picks mean to us. Trading 3 players out on the last day of a 3 week trade period is amatuer hour - well Morton is ok but the others. It's pretty obvious we were trying to get some currency up for Ray but we failed after all this time and have nothing to show for Martin in the process. His long term prospects at Melbourne don't come into it.

Neeld gave Harrington and co a mandate to go and chase some players and he gave them the utilities (ie tradeable players with currency) to do it and they fluffed it. Now we're stuck using speculative picks (after pick 4) and rookie upgrades to replace the spuds on our senior list (of which we have many).

Loving every minute of our trade week. Love it. Looooooove it. Can I say it again? LOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!

Our list has been poo for a long time and we have drafted very, very poorly. We've wanted, and needed, the clean out for years and it's finally happening. Gys, Martin, Morton... no drama for me whatsoever that they are gone. Not one bit. They might have had talent but clearly their application and commitment to the cause was not up to scratch. We have a proper FD with one of the best fitness gurus in the land and they would know far better than us about what we need and who isn't up to it.

We now have premiership experience, hard working, culture changing players on our list to support the younger brigade and we can only get much, much, MUCH better from here.

Anyone who thinks otherwise can go back to watching us get smashed every week and hope some of these guys come good.

WOW. I could not agree with a post more than I agree with this.

Clearly, this trade period has created divided supporter opinion.

This is what I see, personally.

Out:

Green
Moloney
Rivers

The above 3 were all reportedly neck deep in the supposed player revolt and seen as leaders of the cultural issues that were perceived to exist within the club. Green was past it, and he knew it anyway. His best footy was well behind him. Moloney - it was clear there was an issue here, from the preseason murmurings, to his onfiled displays, to whoreing himself to the FA way back in May. Rivers, to his credit still played to his fullest, but clearly his heart wasn't in it towards the end and he chose to leave. All 3 were in the leadership group in 2011. All were demoted in 2012. All are off the list for 2013.

Morton - I don't think many Dees supporters out there would be bemoaning this. He has failed to deliver, no matter which way you look at it. Pick 88 was clearly a message from Neeld. Perform, buy in, or you are gone. What do people expect for him in return anyway? he's worth NOTHING, pick 4 five years ago or not. Bust pick. I remember before a game Neeld was being interviewed. He was asked about Cale. He got an angry look on his face and mumbled something like "god, if only they'd done further psychological and personality testing pre draft".

Gysberts - turned up to P/S exceptionally unfit (don't give me the wrist excuse, cause you can still run with a broken wrist). His aeorbic fitness was terrible. He clearly didn't buy in as his partner in crime did (Blease). What happens? Blease gets a contract, Gysberts gets turfed at all costs. Neeld wanted him out. Add to that fact we have 2 very, very highly rated fitness guys in Neeld and Misson. Perhaps they can see he cannot develop into the style of footballer Neeld needs.

Martin - wow, this bloke is nearly as overrated as Majak Daw. Stef is a dumb footballer, he's clearly not a natural. Yes, he's big, yes he's athletic, but a footballer he ain't. He also has issues with keeping his head focused on the game and his career. He is very distracted. Additionally, he turned up late to training serveral (and I mean several) times. Not something I see Neeld thinking is a trait of an elite footballer.

These 3 guys would never have been drafted under Neeld. It wouldn't have happened.

Instead of people slamming Neeld for selling these guys cheap, you should be ropeable at previous admins for ever bringing them to the club.

I'll go on record now, and I'll stand by it. None of these trades will hurt us. The only one that has the potential to IMO is Gysberts. But having said that, a once paced light framed mid with "potential" is not something we need.

Clearly Neeld wanted to get rid of players who wouldn't / couldn't comply with his regime.

As Cowboy has said, look at the guys they've bought in.

Sure, they're not stars (newsflash, neither are the guys we lost), but they're all well known for their Ethic and Dedication. These guys are coming in to set the tone, to usher the young kids through.

Neeld and Co. are at the coal face. They know more than we do, any of us.

Because some of us have convinced ourselves Martin is / was / will be a star, it doesn't make it so.

And even if these guys do well, they weren't going to under Neeld. It just was not going to happen.

Time will tell on this, but I have to say, I'm the most excited about the Dees than I have been in in a lonnnnnnng time. Not because we bought stars in, but because we are changing the rotten, festy culture that has kept us from the ultimate prize in so long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back