List Mgmt. Official 2016 trade period discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't heard anything about Stewart coming to Geelong only Pies or Blues. But I think he would be a good fit at he club. What do people think he'd be worth?
I would've thought a third round pick but I doubt the Giants will even use that pick. Which is why packaging him up with another player (like marchbank) works better for them. As they can upgrade a pick they would get.

Is there a way Motlop can be worked into a deal with a third club involved?
Or how else could that deal get done?

How will people feel if this trade period is an absolute fizzer for Geelong? Maybe 1-2 fringe players out, no-one in.
In my mind, for this period we traded our R1 pick (pick 17 or whatever it was) for Henderson.

So we already made a good deal.

That's what trading future picks is about. We can't expect to be too greedy. We spent the years pick last year and got four good players. We also struck gold in the draft with Menegola.

It's very rare for a top team to draft or trade five best 2 players. So we're really ahead.

I just don't understand this viewthat a number of people have expressed lately.

You/they want us to bottom out now, and try and rebuild for a flag.

But you/they seem to totally against the idea of spending 3-4 more years having a shot at the flag, and then bottoming out for a rebuild!

It isn't really very logical.
Two reasons why some suggest it. They don't think we can win a flag with the current list so delaying a rebuild for 3 years results in 3 wasted years. 2nd reason is we have players that we can trade for high draft picks now making a rebuild much easier. In 3-4 years we won't as all our good players will be retired or late twenties and not with much trade value. That could lead us to spending a decade at the bottom like a melbourne.

Rubbish

Collingwood did with Treloar
We traded 1 for Danger and 1 for Hendo

Lol. I believe the rules for consecutive first rounders started this year. That's why we went so hard last year. We traded our future #1 pick from the first year of the new rules, meaning we can't trade first round next year.

Edit: I thought I had read this rule somewhere, however, AFL only has the two pick requirement in 4 years on the website. So for us we must use 2017 and 2018 first rounders.

Last edited:
I really dont want to lose Motlop. He kicked 38 goals this year. After losing SJ this season and Motlop next, thats A LOT of goals we need to make up. Give Motlop one more season, I'm sure he will want to drive his next contract up $$$. Whether thats with us or another team is a win-win due to free agency rules.

Obviously its unrealistic to expect to gain anything significant this trade period, so its all about damage mitigation I guess.
It would be a shame to lose Motlop, but more for his potential output than historic output.
If he goes its not the end of the universe. If a Lids for Motlop situation eventuated I would be happy with that.
Slight unders for us, But better than a +20's pick. I think we would need 2 x 20's or a sub 15 to fairly compensate for losing him. it wont happen though :(.

I think we have the talent to contend again next year. I don't think its reasonable to expect the coaching team to assemble a concentration of talent equivalent to what powered the team through the premiership era. Equally I think that most other teams excepting GWS are also operating under similar constraints. We have a solid spine, solid defence and talented midfield. Given an improved game plan, improvement in out younger players and no injuries to key personal we are capable of winning premierships over the next 2-3 years. I think we need to trade accordingly, maintaining a nucleus of 25 or so, moving on anyone else for the maximum return.

Cant wait to see what happens!
Motlop kicked 38 goals this year. We already lack scoring power and line breaking pace. We need to improve in those areas not go backwards. If we lose motlop then we should give up chasing a flag with the current list.

Stephen Wells:

Motlop is a contracted player and I expect he will be playing at Geelong next year.

We expect Richmond won't let Deledio go.

Expect Lonergan to play on.

Menzel about to re-sign.

Contract offer on the table for Kersten, waiting to hear from him, he has met with Fremantle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wells interview:
  • "Possible" we'll trade up to get back into the first round
  • Expects Motlop will play at Geelong in 2017
  • Hoping to use plenty of picks in the draft
  • Would like to help the backline, find more run
  • We have an interest in Deledio
  • Daniel Wells will not be playing at Geelong
  • Plan is for Lonergan to play on next year
  • Menzel contract to be announced soon
  • Expecting to hear from Kersten & Freo soon (sounds gone IMO)
  • Vardy is welcome to stay at Geelong but is exploring his option
  • Would you trade Motlop? "Depends on the trade offer" "Not many players on any list you wouldn't trade"
  • No comment on Bartel

Summary of Wells interview with trade radio:

Daniel Wells will NOT be joining Geelong
We are looking to boost the backline and speed either VIA draft or trade
Expecting Motlop to stay with Geelong (but is open to trade)
Of course we have interest in Deledio
Expecting Menzel to sign a new contract soon
Talks with signing Tom Lonergan, expecting him to play with Geelong next year
Freo interested in Kersten but we would like to keep him
Vardy is looking at other options (doesnt look like he's staying with Geelong)
No one has requested a trade to Geelong..... yet.

Wells said we think we will take plenty of picks in the draft. Said it'd be good to get back in the first round. But to me he was more saying we expect some 2nd/3rd picks for players that get traded out.
And said we will look for defenders, running players and key forward with those picks.

He was as I hoped mostly cagey and giving nothing away. Not for my benefit as I'd love to really know what was happening. But playing a better poker game.

If the overall outcome of trade and draft time is Geelong trade out fringe players for picks. And those picks are used in the draft of be very happy with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back