Official 2019/20 Bundesliga/DFB Pokal Thread

Which Team will you be supporting this season?

• FC Augsburg

• Bayer Leverkusen

• Bayern Munich

• Borussia Dortmund

• Borussia Mönchengladbach

• Eintracht Frankfurt

• Fortuna Düsseldorf

• SC Freiburg

• Hertha BSC

• TSG 1899 Hoffenheim

• 1. FC Koln

• RB Leipzig

• 1. FSV Mainz 05

• SC Paderborn 07

• Schalke 04

• Union Berlin

• Werder Bremen

• VfL Wolfsburg

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
2019/20 Bundesliga Season Preview

Teams, Locations, Important Dates

It feels like it was only last week that we finished one of the most competitive seasons in recent memory, and we’re already looking forward to the next one.

This year sees the introduction of a second Berlin team – FC Union Berlin, for the first time in their history, and making them the 56th club to feature in the top flight. Union did it the hard way, needing a win against middle table Bochum on the last match day of the season to secure second spot, only to draw 2-2. They then rallied to win through the playoffs against VfB Stuttgart, taking 2 away goals into their home fixture, which ended 0-0. This season also saw FC Nürnberg and Hannover 96 return to the second league. With these three teams, plus Hamburg HSV to battle it out for the top 4 spots, promotion will be anything but a given next season.

Map of Bundesliga Teams for 2019/20

As often is, a large proportion of the clubs come out of Nordrhein-Westfalen. For the second year in a row, Bremen is the only ‘Norddeutsch’ club to feature, and with Union Berlin, we finally have a traditional East German Club back in the top flight.

At the other end of the table, and without bias, perhaps for the first time since the start of the decade, Bayern Munich won't be the raging hot favourites to win the title. After a flurry of action on the transfer market from Borussia Dortmund, Soft Drink Leipzig signing the best German Manager not named Jürgen Klopp, and Leverkusen and 'Gladbach seeing their youth continue to improve at a scarily fast pace, there are no easy matches in amongst these top teams.

The questions remain. Can Bayern continue their dominance. Will Dortmund's big spending pay off. Does Nagelsmann + Money = Success? Strap yourselves in - once again, the xG capital of Europe will once again give everyone value for their dollar.

Important Dates:

Fixture Draw: 28th June 2019
DFB Supercup – 4th August
First Round DFB Cup – 9-12 August
Season Opening Game – 16 August 2019
Winter Break – 22nd December – 17th January
Last Fixtures – 16th May 2020
Cup Final – 23rd May 2020

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Bundesliga Matchday 5

20/09 (20:30)

Schalke 04 v Mainz 05

21/09 (15:30)
FC Bayern v FC Köln
Bayer 04 Leverkusen v Union Berlin
Hertha BSC v Paderborn
SC Freiburg v Augsburg

21/09 (18:30)
Werder Bremen v RB Leipzig

22/09 (15:30)
Borussia M'Gladbach v Fortuna Düsseldorf

22/09 (18:00)
Eintracht Frankfurt v Borussia Dortmund

22/09 (20:30)
VfL Wolfsburg v Hoffenheim

Last edited:

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
DFB Pokal First Round Results

A few big upsets over the first round of the DFB Pokal, and some interesting results.

The round kicked off with Uerdingen going down to BvB 0-2, but surviving about 1000 shots on goal and a +5 xG.

The first big upset came with Kaiserslauten beating Mainz 2-0, which in a big derby, was a huge result for 'Lautern. Probably the biggest upset though was Augsburg losing 1-2 to Regionalliga side Verl. Duisburg also saw off Furth 2-0. the second goal from Duisburg was an absolute belter. Hannover 95+1 went down to Karlsruher which shows both how far their stocks have fallen, and how s**t Thomas Doll is as a trainer.

Second round draw will come out Saturday night german time

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
this transfer period is another dry hump for Bayern. with neuer publicly expressing his disappointment with the club's lack of ambition, it seems like a very toxic atmosphere. wouldn't be surprised to see us implode this coming season.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
this transfer period is another dry hump for Bayern. with neuer publicly expressing his disappointment with the club's lack of ambition, it seems like a very toxic atmosphere. wouldn't be surprised to see us implode this coming season.
It's been interesting, thats for sure. Got lots of the work done early (Pavard/Hernandez), but it seems to have taken a very 'English' turn - lots of rumours with not much follow through.

I'm really pumped to see Neven Subotić back in the 1.BL at Union Berlin. Love him as a player and as a person - I actually met him in Dortmund in 2013 by chance and was more than happy to stop for a brief chat and sign my tshirt

Perhaps this is my favourite BL moment ever

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
So now I’ve had time to sleep in and work off the beers, here’s the recap.

Was a Great Night out regardless of the result - usually it’s hard to get into the Südtribune so having no set standing spaces really helped. Having no ultras there made it a lot quieter than a regular season game, but that’s to be expected for a Mickey Mouse cup. (Or the hardest cup to win, as you need to finish top two the previous season/win the league Cup). Actually rode my bike most of the way from the in laws this time, working out a new route. Need to still go get my bike...

Game started really fast - lots of chances in the first 20 mins for us, and then bayern really got dominant. Could have a been a couple goals down in reality, but stubborn defence really helped.

Two goals were very clinical. If Paco can keep fit, he’s worth 20 goals this season. Sancho likewise with his goal. He had a real stinker in the first half, but showed a growing maturity to come out at half time and take the game on.

Kimmich’s step on sancho was really dirty, and I can’t believe it wasn’t a red card. Especially outside the field of play.

Bayern really need to strengthen their team, and I’m not sure that Sane is the right option. A tricky winter that floats in and out of games is not going to the the stability they need, not for 130m pounds either. Given they played almost a full strength lineup, and we were missing Brandt, Hummels and Hazard - I think that was an encouraging performance.
9c1f616e0c4dff79e3e750475aa5b6d1.jpg
2bcb39435b4b9d07f41935c5d20abfb6.jpg
52a3f687e55edccb81189c8cd74b2f60.jpg
480bc0868acc4520f9e2d71f4a12c595.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
beautiful stadium, would love to get there one day

we have really put all our eggs in the leroy sane basket. even if we sign him we are still 2 or 3 attacking/midfield players away from being a strong side. I don't know why we keep renato sanches around and I don't know why we couldn't find somebody to replace boateng who is becoming more of a liability with each game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
beautiful stadium, would love to get there one day

we have really put all our eggs in the leroy sane basket. even if we sign him we are still 2 or 3 attacking/midfield players away from being a strong side. I don't know why we keep renato sanches around and I don't know why we couldn't find somebody to replace boateng who is becoming more of a liability with each game.

That’s what I don’t understand. I don’t feel sane helps. Does he replace gbabry or coman? What sort of value does he bring for his price tag? Can he track back and link up in the back third of the ground. I feel this is KHR and Uli being too proud

Very keen for the upcoming season. Very excited with the talent we bought in to challenge for the title. If Alcacer can keep fit he'l be fighting for the golden boot come May imo.

Just signed up for fantasy Bundesliga llast night and putting in a days worth to choose my squad.

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
That’s what I don’t understand. I don’t feel sane helps. Does he replace gbabry or coman? What sort of value does he bring for his price tag? Can he track back and link up in the back third of the ground. I feel this is KHR and Uli being too proud

I don't really know much about Sané to be honest or whether he is better than Coman or Gnabry. But I think if we want to splash 100m+ on one player then I'd prefer it be Havertz.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
With news of the extent of Sane's injury, Salihamidzic's comments seem to indicate we are no longer interested. Interested to see what happens now (pls no Gareth Bale)
Saw some Coutinho rumours today. That'd be a signing just to make a signing

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
Saw some Coutinho rumours today. That'd be a signing just to make a signing

If we get him on a loan I actually wouldn't mind that, I think he'd have greater success at Bayern than James did

For anyone interested, former A-League player for Wellington & Kiwi national Sarpreet Singh scored in the 23-0 friendly victory over Rottach-Egern FC.
Goal wasn't spectacular but it's at 7:14 for anyone interested

The Zweite has already begun and after two rounds there are only two teams with 100% records, Karlsruhe and Erzgebirge Aue. I'm not too sure how excited I should be with the Eurofighters (I love that nickname) start to the season as the two teams we have beaten are sitting last and second-last. Still you can only beat the teams you are drawn to play. After R1 of the DFB-Pokal against Hannover '96 we play Holstein Kiel who are currently third last.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
The Zweite has already begun and after two rounds there are only two teams with 100% records, Karlsruhe and Erzgebirge Aue. I'm not too sure how excited I should be with the Eurofighters (I love that nickname) start to the season as the two teams we have beaten are sitting last and second-last. Still you can only beat the teams you are drawn to play. After R1 of the DFB-Pokal against Hannover '96 we play Holstein Kiel who are currently third last.
Looking forward to the derby against Stuttgart for you guys this year!

If Aue could get promoted and Union Berlin could stay up, it'd be great for the league to have two east german teams in the top league. Maybe then, I'd stop being slugged a few hundred euros a month in Solidaritataetszuschlag (tax for East Germany)

Back