News Official 2020 Fixture

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Playing in Alice fracking Springs again instead of the MCG.
We lose pathetically to Melbourne no matter where we play them so that one's no biggie IMO

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Champion Data think we have the fourth easiest draw.

wtfreaction.gif

Do Port Power use one of their requests to host the first showdown each year. It has gone beyond a coincidence now.

We seem to get the Sunday arvo Showdown in the middle of winter every year now.

If it isn't a Port Power request is the AFL trying to prop up The Powers crowd numbers?

The whole fixture is built this way. The first priority of the AFL is to maximise attendances and viewer ratings, but they run out of ideas when scheduling the last 3 or so games every round. So they zero in on the teams that will present the least impact on attendances/ratings for those lesser games...like the Crows.

Moving Pies v Melbourne to Darwin costs them 50k attendance. Crows v Melb maybe 15k?

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Wow everyone acting like we have a nightmare draw lol

Richmond tough however are suspect on the road and we have a good record against them at home

Melbourne were s**t this year and are poorly coached

St Kilda were s**t this year and have taken Port’s rebuild approach

Port are just Port

We will finish where we deserve to finish and it will be more to do with our football, not the draw

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tough draws are good. That means if we finished top 4, we'd actually be a chance, rather than banking a bunch of soft wins and getting pantsed when it matters.

That said, it's imposible to know how tough a draw is in October. Teams surprise to the up and down side every year. You'd have loved to draw Brisbane twice this time last year, and cringed at getting the Ds.

The things I look for are good timeslots at home, and where we play. Like others, sick of going to the cattery every single ******* year. I dont want Tassie, NT, or Timbuktu. More games at the G.

Disagree. They should not get anymore than 12 games at the G. We get 12 at AO. It needs to be the same to be equal and fair for the Vic teams. If 2 Vic teams then play in Tassie or Nt then so be it.

There are 46 H&A games at the MCG this year.

Melbourne: 10 (+1 TIO Traeger)
Richmond: 10 (+1 Marvel)
Collingwood: 9 (+2 Marvel)
Hawthorn: 6 (+4 UTAS, +1 Marvel)
Carlton: 5 (+6 Marvel)
Essendon: 4 (+7 Marvel)
Geelong: 2 (+9 GMHBA)

If you got rid of the games that main MCG tenants sell to other stadiums, main MCG tenants playing at Marvel, and Geelong playing at the MCG, we'd be up to 53 games.

That would be 11 games each for Melbourne, Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn plus 5 from Carlton and 4 from Essendon as the dual-tenant teams (totaling 0.8 of a full MCG tenant).

Each main MCG tenant should play 11 games at the MCG. There are 3.8 other teams that play at the MCG, so half the time the main MCG tenants should be playing these teams away at the MCG (an extra 1.9 games). There are also five double up matches, so you'd expect an additional 1.1 games on average at the MCG.

So theoretically, a main MCG tenant should be playing, on average, 14 games at the MCG.

That's not too far off what we see this year. Collingwood and Richmond have 14 MCG games, Melbourne 13 and Hawthorn 8. With Carlton and Essendon getting 7.

The issue is Victorian teams selling what is normally an MCG home game to an interstate venue, but not playing another MCG tenant there. This disproportionally favors MCG tenants getting more MCG games. Then you throw in Geelong buying into MCG games, giving MCG tenants like Hawthorn an extra match at the venue, rather than Hawthorn (and Essendon) being forced to play at Kardinia.

For example, the main MCG tenants are actually only playing an average of 8.75 home games at the MCG, rather than 11. However somehow, Collingwood have 5 away games at the MCG and Richmond 4, which is above the expected 3 away games. Both teams play both of Essendon and Carlton away at the MCG. Statistically speaking, this shouldn't happen; some of those games should be at Marvel

Of Hawthorn's last 17 games in Tasmania, you'd expect four of those to be against MCG tenants. However the only MCG tenant they've played there is Carlton (twice). Meanwhile they've played Brisbane there four times, St Kilda three times, plus Fremantle, Gold Coast and Port twice. Brisbane have played there every year for the past 4 years. That's not right.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Exactly. I don't think enough attention to where and when you play teams has as much influence on a result as the straight up head to head contest. Would rather play all the tough teams at home and the weaker sides away.

Playing most of the weaker sides at home is like being given a mulligan after you hit a hole in one.
I agree it is better to play the stronger sides at home. Playing the weaker sides at home sets up too many complacent-banana-skin type games.

You can never know what will happen at this early juncture of the pre-season.
We were wooden spoon favourites entering 2005. We won the minor premiership.....

I never care with who we play. The only aspect I care about on the where we play is 1x wa, nsw, qld, 4x melb. Afl can put us anywhere’s else for the other 4 games. As long as we get that at a minimum.

What I care about is the when.
I want to attend as much as possible.
8 games I can get to without any worries.
Brisbane I can turn up late (1/4 time maybe) if I have to
Carlton I just take the day off umpiring (won’t want to miss that)
But freo? I’ll take a wait and see approach.

Overall I’m happy. Mix of timeslots to keep everyone happy. (Wish 1 Saturday twilight was moved to Saturday night)
I know the rest of the fixture looks hard at the moment. But we don’t know who will improve or drop off. Could become a nightmare fixture, or it couldn’t become a dream. Who knows

SydneyWin
PortWIn
Briswin
RichLoss
EssWin
St KildWin
GCWin
FreoWin
MelLost
CarltonWin
GWSLoss
BullWin
PortWin
CollLoss
St KildWin
WCLoss
MelbWin
EssLoss
RichLoss
HawLoss
NorthWIn
geelLoss
13 wins 9 losses. Finish somewhere between 6-10th

thats optimistic

The Geelong game is getting a bit annoying. I don't care who we play when it is all said and done. It's when and where we do that is the issue. There is absolutely no excuse for not being able to schedule return legs over two seasons where you play a club only once in repeat years.

May 13, 2006
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ford Cortina
the AFL can SMD
This fixture is hideous.
Alice Springs, Shitmania, and that Geelong shithole. I'm shocked to be sitting here.
Champion data - 4th easiest. Polish that turd you ******* idiots.
Oh, and get f’ed Gill. Get f’ed AFL.

Dont be shy, tell us what you really think!!!

The last three games.
Hawks in Tasmania
North AO
Geelong at s**t stadium

C’mon AFL. Surely you’re taking the pi$$.

Our season will be over by then anyway. Will be a chance to give games to our 1st/2nd year players.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Honestly, why do we have to travel to ******* Kardinia Park so often? Even worse, Fagan actually said it was a good thing we're going there! And in the final round, no less. It'll be a great momentum boost heading into the finals (assuming we even make it) to get smashed again at that shithole.

We haven't won a match there since 2001. We've lost there eleven times in a row. Who do we need to pay off to never go there again?

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
My early predictions:
1. Saturday, Mar 21 4:05pm Adelaide Oval (Home) - Sydney Swans Win
2. Saturday, Mar 28 7:10pm Adelaide Oval (Away) - Port Adelaide Loss
3. Saturday, Apr 4 4:05pm Adelaide Oval (Home) - Brisbane Lions Loss
4. Saturday, Apr 11 1:45pm MCG (Away) - Richmond Loss
5. Thursday, Apr 16 7:10pm Adelaide Oval (Home) - Essendon Win
6. Sunday, Apr 26 4:40pm Marvel Stadium (Away) - St Kilda Loss
7. Saturday, May 2 1:45pm Metricon Stadium (Away) - Gold Coast SUNS Win
8. Saturday, May 9 1:15pm Adelaide Oval (Home) - Fremantle Win
9. Sunday, May 17 2:50pm TIO Traeger Park (Away) - Melbourne Loss
10. Saturday, May 23 4:05pm Adelaide Oval (Home) - Carlton Win
11. Saturday, May 30 4:35pm Giants Stadium (Away) - GWS GIANTS Loss
12. Friday, Jun 5 7:20pm Adelaide Oval (Home) - Western Bulldogs Loss
13. Sunday, Jun 14 3:20pm Adelaide Oval (Home) - Port Adelaide Loss
14. Bye
15. Sunday, Jun 28 1:10pm MCG (Away) - Collingwood Loss
16. Saturday, Jul 4 7:10pm Adelaide Oval (Home) - St Kilda Win
17. Sunday, Jul 12 3:20pm Optus Stadium (Away) - West Coast Eagles Loss
18. Sunday, Jul 19 4:10pm Adelaide Oval (Home) - Melbourne Win
19. Saturday, Jul 25 7:25pm Marvel Stadium (Away) - Essendon Loss
20. Friday, Jul 31 6:50pm Adelaide Oval (Home) - Richmond Loss
21. Saturday, Aug 8 4:35pm University of Tasmania Stadium (Away) - Hawthorn Loss
22. Sunday, Aug 16 4:10pm Adelaide Oval (Home) - North Melbourne Win
23. TBC TBC GMHBA (Away) - Geelong Cats Loss

8 Wins 14 Losses.
Ladder position 14th to 15th

Back