Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Every other year I’d agree with you but we aren’t getting close to the 8
When we make the 8 I will come back and remind you of this. I havent been this excited for a season since 1996. After we had big clean out of the ageing players and brought in Blighty with Bickley the new skipper. We had some good young talent then. Macca and Edwards only had about 30 games to their names. I cant wait to see what our kids do next year.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
When we make the 8 I will come back and remind you of this. I havent been this excited for a season since 1996. After we had big clean out of the ageing players and brought in Blighty with Bickley the new skipper. We had some good young talent then. Macca and Edwards only had about 30 games to their names. I cant wait to see what our kids do next year.
Please do

The kids unfortunately because of Pyke and co have not had the games put into them to last an entire season, they are still relatively inexperienced and have not developed a strong tank to last games out strongly.

They will tire out as the season progresses. We are not making the 8.

rezagun

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
From glancing over the fixture last night we have a reasonably tough draw. Tbh i cant see us winning more than 12 games. Happy to be wrong..
In a way though its kind of refreshing to go into a season without much expectation as a supporter. If we make the 8 it will be widely viewed as a success. In 2020 im really looking forward to watching how much more aggression we play with and how much the players buy into nicks system.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Every other year I’d agree with you but we aren’t getting close to the 8
I actually don’t think we’ll be too far off barring injury.

There’s enough talent still there IF the coach can get them playing for each other.

And that’s a big IF because I’m not sure if the trouble has been cut away, or whether just maybe some of the culprits remain with a big cheesy grin because ‘we won’.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We can have a bad year but still rack up 8 wins, I don't think we'll be bottom 4.
After the bye we were a bottom 4 side.

2 of last years bottom 4 sides have improved their lists, we’ve gone backwards.

We will have to expose our list with little experience due to our previous idiotic selection philosophies.

We have a tough draw.

We have little exposed depth so a bad run with injuries will guarantee a bottom 4 finish.

Personally I have no issue next year with a bottom four finish. Add some more elite talent and if Brad goes we will get another quality pick.

It’s all about building for our next flag now and a 9-12 finish does nothing for that.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
After the bye we were a bottom 4 side.

2 of last years bottom 4 sides have improved their lists, we’ve gone backwards.

We will have to expose our list with little experience due to our previous idiotic selection philosophies.

We have a tough draw.

We have little exposed depth so a bad run with injuries will guarantee a bottom 4 finish.

Personally I have no issue next year with a bottom four finish. Add some more elite talent and if Brad goes we will get another quality pick.

It’s all about building for our next flag now and a 9-12 finish does nothing for that.
It's going to be a fascinating watch this year. Have we given Nick's the opportunity and licence to build a team for the future, or are we pressing him to make finals. i.e. do we plan for a premiership or maintain the 'make finals and anything can happen' idiocy?

that's ok though, because neither will geelong

Losing Kelly is a monumental body blow for the Cats, his numbers for the past two seasons cannot be underestimated.

He will leave a massive hole in their midfield coupled with their cooked players. They will struggle to make the 8.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
That feels good but achieves nothing

Agree, haven't thought about 9-12th but definitely think the absolute worse thing that could happen would be we bounce back next year and scrape into the 8. Feel like we are on the way up, and not continue making big changes.

All but a couple of premiership teams in recent times have been good enough to be in and around the top 4 for maybe half a decade. Multiple prelims and genuine shots at a premiership.

We've finished in the top 4 twice in a row once, 05/06. Pretty much every other time we do it and then crash back out of the 8 the following year.

New coach spike, fail, false belief that spike was "true" form, waste years trying to recapture it, sack coach and repeat is not the way to build a top side.

Hoping to see development, growth from younger players, but ultimately everyone walks away realising it wasn't just Burton, it wasn't just Pyke and we've still got plenty of work to do.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Looking at the draw it's not a bad draw re, breaks between games If were playing the Kids that not bad as we have only 1 back to back 6-day games, Only two 6 day break leading into an away game, rd 7 Gold Coast and rd 19 Essendon.
Our 5 day and 6-day games match the opposition, and we get Port straight after the China game and Bye. Most are 7 plus 14 games not counting the first and last games, while we play 10 games where the teams we play are on 6 or fewer day games.

Overall fitness-wise with Kids it a very good draw.

We have hard start teams wise. but we also have a good 10-day break leading up to rd 6, then a group of winnable games leading into the bye a 14-day break, After the bye its a mixture of 3 x 6-day games 1 x 7-day game 3 x 8-day games, plus the last game

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
What a horribly pessimistic way to look at it. So, if Nicks starts well, our new/young players perform well, a new gameplan works, we win say 7-11 games and finish 9-12 on the ladder, that "achieves" nothing and it would be better if we were just crap and finished bottom 4?
Yep, unless to quote from my mate Marty, you are happy being competitive.

We finished 11th this year, 12th last year, now tell me how did that feel?

Finishing around the same position achieves nothing. We play this game to win premierships, something we have not done for 20 years following the plan you are advocating.

We have more older players ready to drop off, we are not going win a flag in the next 2-3 years so we need to load up on elite talent and give it a real crack.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep, unless to quote from my mate Marty, you are happy being competitive.

We finished 11th this year, 12th last year, now tell me how did that feel?

Finishing around the same position achieves nothing. We play this game to win premierships, something we have not done for 20 years following the plan you are advocating.

We have more older players ready to drop off, we are not going win a flag in the next 2-3 years so we need to load up on elite talent and give it a real crack.

If I hear anyone from the club say the words "while we are mathematically a chance..." next year I give up.

Time to set up an era of success, 1997 isn't the template.

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
Elite Crow @AFC300 I get where you're coming from if you're talking a mid season change in tack, send players off for surgery, play the kids etc.

In those scenarios it's generally accepted playing the kids will see you drop down the ladder. I'm not sure if playing the kids this year will see us do any worse. I rate our kids and think them being held back hindered us, them coming in will help us now.

I don't see how the club can be criticised if they play the kids, those kids perform and get us 8-10 wins.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Elite Crow @AFC300 I get where you're coming from if you're talking a mid season change in tack, send players off for surgery, play the kids etc.

In those scenarios it's generally accepted playing the kids will see you drop down the ladder. I'm not sure if playing the kids this year will see us do any worse. I rate our kids and think them being held back hindered us, them coming in will help us now.

I don't see how the club can be criticised if they play the kids, those kids perform and get us 8-10 wins.
They can’t, it just won’t do us any good

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
They can’t, it just won’t do us any good

Obviously this is all hypothetical, are you able to explain how you would go about securing a bottom 4 finish?

I'll tell you where I would start, keep Jenkins at the club. Play Eddie in the forward line. Andy O CHB, Douglas back/midfield. Jacobs leading the ruck. Move on best 22 players Greenwood and Keath.

Back