News Official 2020 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously this is all hypothetical, are you able to explain how you would go about securing a bottom 4 finish?

I'll tell you where I would start, keep Jenkins at the club. Play Eddie in the forward line. Andy O CHB, Douglas back/midfield. Jacobs leading the ruck. Move on best 22 players Greenwood and Keath.
I don’t think I’ve ever said that we should tank.

I want the club to invest in our future and play the kids. Given their lack of exposure and our lack of depth, a hard draw and a bad run with injuries bottom 4 is a lock.

If the club chooses not to develop the squad in the hope we scrape into the finals with our older blokes I’ll be pissed.

If we play the kids and finish 9-12 I can’t fault the clubs intentions, what I’m saying is it won’t do us any good long term. Therefore if what I expect happens, happens and we finish bottom 4, I’m not going to be upset, I’ll be pleased it’s a step in the right direction, especially if Brad was too leave.

After the bye we were a bottom 4 side.

2 of last years bottom 4 sides have improved their lists, we’ve gone backwards.

We will have to expose our list with little experience due to our previous idiotic selection philosophies.

We have a tough draw.

We have little exposed depth so a bad run with injuries will guarantee a bottom 4 finish.

Personally I have no issue next year with a bottom four finish. Add some more elite talent and if Brad goes we will get another quality pick.

It’s all about building for our next flag now and a 9-12 finish does nothing for that.
Don’t be so pessimistic. I can see us wrapping up a top five draft pick before the end of May next year.

Don’t be so pessimistic. I can see us wrapping up a top five draft pick before the end of May next year.
It’s actually quite refreshing going into a season with no expectations.

Plus we’ve weeded out so many old blokes there’s only one player left whose selection will annoy me.

I reckon I’m going to consume a record amount of beer next year.

unless to quote from my mate Marty,
Come on, that's unnecessary :p
you are happy being competitive.
It's not a matter of being "happy to be competitive", it's a matter of being happier if the new-look team and coach are good enough to finish in that range, rather than being bottom 4 crap.
We finished 11th this year, 12th last year, now tell me how did that feel?
Pretty poor, of course. But that was a team that should have been better, was expected to be better. The 2020 team (and coach) are new, less experienced, with unproven players likely to debut or get more game time. They are not expected to be top 4 or even top 8, but they are the foundation for our future. So of course I want them to be good, and of course 11-12th in 2020 will be a more positive feeling than 2018-2019.

Expectations and satisfaction for 2020 are based on a different set of parameters, if you like, than 2018-2019.
Finishing around the same position achieves nothing. We play this game to win premierships, something we have not done for 20 years following the plan you are advocating.
It's not a question of what it "achieves", it's a question of what it shows about our new coach / gameplan / players. Finishing, say, 11-12th will show us that they are better than bottom 4. As a starting point for the future.

I'm not advocating any "plan" other than to do / be the best we can be.

End of the day, it will be what it will be, and even a bottom 4 finish will not mean that we're dead in the water for 2012-2022. But I'd rather have evidence that we're off to a good (re)start, than evidence that we're crap.

Edit: And OK, yes:
If the club chooses not to develop the squad in the hope we scrape into the finals with our older blokes I’ll be pissed.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about trying to achieve ladder position for the sake of it, I'm talking about what the results will show us about the quality of our new look team (assuming it's not stacked with old blokes and the youth are given a go).

I don’t think I’ve ever said that we should tank.

I want the club to invest in our future and play the kids. Given their lack of exposure and our lack of depth, a hard draw and a bad run with injuries bottom 4 is a lock.

If we play the kids and finish 9-12 I can’t fault the clubs intentions, what I’m saying is it won’t do us any good long term. Therefore if what I expect happens, happens and we finish bottom 4, I’m not going to be upset, I’ll be pleased it’s a step in the right direction, especially if Brad was too leave.

If we have 8 or more wins next year it's not going to be because we played Jacobs, Betts, Jenkins, Otten and Douglas to scrape those wins. It will be because our kids aren't as bad as some think.

I kinda feel Adelaide supporters don't really know how many wins you historically need to not be bottom four. It's just not something we deal with a lot.

Since this is the fixture thread, at the risk of going down this path, it's not that hard to see us 4-1 after round 5. Try finishing bottom 4 from there (we are no GC '19).

Last edited:
If we have 8 or more wins next year it's not going to be because we played Jacobs, Betts, Jenkins, Otten and Douglas to scrape those wins. It will be because our kids aren't as bad as some think.

I kinda feel Adelaide supporters don't really know how many wins you historically need to not be bottom four. It's just not something we deal with a lot.

Since this is the fixture thread, at the risk of going down this path, it's not that hard to see us 4-1 after round 5. Try finishing bottom 4 from there (we are no GC '19).
Generally speaking 8 wins will have you finish just outside the bottom 4, with 7 wins a bottom 4 position.

Since 2000 there have been 3 instances of teams on 9 wins finishing bottom 4 so it's not clear cut.

My expectation is between 7-9 wins which would have us in bottom 4 calculations

It’s also not that hard to see us 1-4

100% chant. Been an absolute champion for our club, his reasons for leaving have 0 to do with us, the fans, which he always has a massive amount of time for.

We should reward that with a resounding Eddie chant if given the opportunity.
Yeah if he did the amazing I’d probably chant

Generally speaking 8 wins will have you finish just outside the bottom 4, with 7 wins a bottom 4 position.

Since 2000 there have been 3 instances of teams on 9 wins finishing bottom 4 so it's not clear cut.

Depends on how even the comp is - simply there are 198 wins to be shared. If say two teams dominate with few losses then less wins elsewhere and if two sides are really bad then more wins are shared.

if you get around 7 wins generally you will finish around 14th-15th.

On another point, why do people think Port will win the first Showdown? Reckon that they are being overrated significantly, they have lost more depth yet again - Ryder, Frampton, Howard and Gray. In addition, Gray, Boak, Westhoff are another year older. Reckon we will snag it.

Changes may be afoot....

Perhaps look at how your mob administer the game so poorly first Gill?

Why has there always been smoke for this 17-5 idea
It's sheer stupidity

9 teams will have 9 home games in the first 17
9 teams will have 8 home games in the first 17

Those with the 9 home games youd expect to win more games.
So say the top 6 has 4 who have played 9 home games and 2 who have played 8. Even if you manipulate it in such a way you can get 5 to 11 home games and 1 with 12.

But even if you just say 'well do the reverse' What if a team finishes in the top 6 and they played 8 home games, 5 vs the top 6 and 3 vs the other 12. Do they travel for all 5 double ups? 8 home 14 away? Do they even up h/a games and have 1 team play a competitor twice at home?
Imagine if West Coast had to play Richmond at the MCG twice and not at Optus Stadium at all.

This 17-5 idea will NEVER work. Theres too many variables which will never work. Nearly always **** over somebody.
And itll give us a s**t tonne more useless matches.

Do we really think Betts will contribute enough to be a regular in Carlton's team this year? I don't think he will play more than 8 games this year. Maybe Carlton get sentimental and make sure he's in the team for Round 10.

On the plus side, he might have a spike in enthusiasm with a change of clubs. On the negative side, he was pretty honest about how his body was struggling to get up for games. And renewed enthusiasm won’t fix that issue. Still, my money’s on him being better for Carlton in 2020 than he was for us this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why has there always been smoke for this 17-5 idea
It's sheer stupidity

9 teams will have 9 home games in the first 17
9 teams will have 8 home games in the first 17

Those with the 9 home games youd expect to win more games.
So say the top 6 has 4 who have played 9 home games and 2 who have played 8. Even if you manipulate it in such a way you can get 5 to 11 home games and 1 with 12.

But even if you just say 'well do the reverse' What if a team finishes in the top 6 and they played 8 home games, 5 vs the top 6 and 3 vs the other 12. Do they travel for all 5 double ups? 8 home 14 away? Do they even up h/a games and have 1 team play a competitor twice at home?
Imagine if West Coast had to play Richmond at the MCG twice and not at Optus Stadium at all.

This 17-5 idea will NEVER work. Theres too many variables which will never work. Nearly always **** over somebody.
And itll give us a s**t tonne more useless matches.

Sounds like something Gil will employ, then.

On the plus side, he might have a spike in enthusiasm with a change of clubs. On the negative side, he was pretty honest about how his body was struggling to get up for games. And renewed enthusiasm won’t fix that issue. Still, my money’s on him being better for Carlton in 2020 than he was for us this year.
It's all about the merch sales for Carlton, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Even that will dry up when they're forced to drop him and he cracks it like he did with us.

Wish him well though.

Wait till '' these kids are f’ed'' start getting typed

For mine if we manage the 11 wins I have us pencilled in for I will be over the moon

Happy to sit back and watch effort and development. Its the lack of effort we saw this year that killed any excitement I had
Feeling strangely optimistic despite having very low expectations for 2020. While the draw is a tough one, the early home games could set us up and we may surprise a few sides.

Hopefully we can refrain from reverting to selection policies of old, and as long as we play our kids - well, pressure builds diamonds and all that jazz.
Quite like the fixture (except for Geelong in Geelong in R23 ), may be in the minority but I don’t mind the Saturday twilight games. Worth heading up for the ANZAC day game given we’ve got a game at Marvel the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From glancing over the fixture last night we have a reasonably tough draw. Tbh i cant see us winning more than 12 games. Happy to be wrong..
In a way though its kind of refreshing to go into a season without much expectation as a supporter. If we make the 8 it will be widely viewed as a success. In 2020 im really looking forward to watching how much more aggression we play with and how much the players buy into nicks system.
We can have a bad year but still rack up 8 wins, I don't think we'll be bottom 4.
After the bye we were a bottom 4 side.

2 of last years bottom 4 sides have improved their lists, we’ve gone backwards.

We will have to expose our list with little experience due to our previous idiotic selection philosophies.

We have a tough draw.

We have little exposed depth so a bad run with injuries will guarantee a bottom 4 finish.

Personally I have no issue next year with a bottom four finish. Add some more elite talent and if Brad goes we will get another quality pick.

It’s all about building for our next flag now and a 9-12 finish does nothing for that.
That feels good but achieves nothing

I'm surprised you guys aren't more excited about 2020. This is a fresh start for the club and supporter base after what has been an almost hamlet like tragedy from 2017.

I'm no expert on your list, but I recall at the start of 2019 many folks in the commentariat expecting the crows to rebound and finish top 8 in 2019. With all we have learned about the clubs operations/culture it's clear why that didn't happened.

FWIW - My opinion is that crows didn't make finals as their was too much bad blood and sentiment for the club to move on from. On field results are the consequences of what happens off field, and big clubs need to have that in place first. If I recall Dunstall said in the review that Adelaide is 'finals capable in 2020'.

This should be a breath of fresh air for you guys and full of optimism. Finally all pent up feelings from 2017-2018 are dealt with and behind you guys. A new coach set up, a new position to help cultivate a purpose and vision and a set of values with the leadership program.

You still have a strong home ground advantage and good players on your list. I could see Adelaide finishing 12-10 this year, making finals and building towards a tilt at the flag in the next 2-3 years.

The competition is better when there is a strong Adelaide Football Club. Hope to see you guys back in September.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back