Strategy Official 2021 Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking WBulldogs will lose Dunkley from their midfield mix, albeit Bevo played him everywhere else, now they've got ANOTHER FRIGGIN' mid. How many mids can one team have. Macrae, Bontempeli, Liberatore, Dunkley, BSmith, Hunter, Lipinkski, RSmith, Wallace already squeezed out to fwds, and now, TRELOAR !
Stefan Martin/ English will be interesting.

Was thinking WBulldogs will lose Dunkley from their midfield mix, albeit Bevo played him everywhere else, now they've got ANOTHER FRIGGIN' mid. How many mids can one team have. Macrae, Bontempeli, Liberatore, Dunkley, BSmith, Hunter, Lipinkski, RSmith, Wallace already squeezed out to fwds, and now, TRELOAR !
Macrae is usually my first mid picked, but might have to pass on him next season. Just too many blokes to share the points. Maybe Bont as an upgrade if his price dips enough to justify it. Probably makes Treloar a write off for the same reason, although he's too much of an injury risk imo anyway.

Treloar will probably finally play the role he's meant to play, something I've been calling out for at the Pies for ages, outside mid/wing. Pies midfield grunt has been so bad that Adz was forced to play as our primary ball getter

Bont almost (should have) won a Rising star playing forward, Dunks won a flag playing forward, can see them both starting forward next season.
Treloar and Hunter on the wings
Macrae, Libba and BSmith in the middle?

No clue, all I know is they have a good bloody team and I hope Treloar wins a flag

Think De Goey will move into the midfield permanently next season. Sidey (and probably also Pendles) will spend more time forward.

Might take a punt on him up forward, see if he can pull a Petracca.

Treloar to the Bullies is horrible for SC planning. Arguably a third of the top mids in the comp have their mid-field time and therefor their SC scoring right up in the air. Treloar, Macrae, Dunkley, Bonts, Libba, Hunter and Smith can't all score well. Preseason will give us a pretty good idea of what's planned for these players, but they will all still be high risk options.

Can't help wishing the Dunkley to Essendon deal had gone through as he would have been first SC mid picked playing in that horrible midfield and great value.

The've done well in the trading period, but the picks they obtained from the Dunkley trade, had they done it early enough, could have been used to address a real need, like a decent key forward. It could have allowed them to get involved in the dealing for Brown or even trying to lure Cameron from Geelong. At least they could have gone to the draft for the best young key forward. What they've done just seems like list mismanagement on a Melbourne scale.

Treloar to the Bullies is horrible for SC planning. Arguably a third of the top mids in the comp have their mid-field time and therefor their SC scoring right up in the air. Treloar, Macrae, Dunkley, Bonts, Libba, Hunter and Smith can't all score well. Preseason will give us a pretty good idea of what's planned for these players, but they will all still be high risk options.

Can't help wishing the Dunkley to Essendon deal had gone through as he would have been first SC mid picked playing in that horrible midfield and great value.

The've done well in the trading period, but the picks they obtained from the Dunkley trade, had they done it early enough, could have been used to address a real need, like a decent key forward. It could have allowed them to get involved in the dealing for Brown or even trying to lure Cameron from Geelong. At least they could have gone to the draft for the best young key forward. What they've done just seems like list mismanagement on a Melbourne scale.
Agree re SC

I disagree re list mismanagement. Stef Martin and English will share ruck duties, one will rest forward as the 3rd tall. Hannah will play as that mobile 2nd tall. Naughton as their main key forward. Bont (should have won a rising star playing forward) and Dunks (won a premiership playing forward) will spend a lot time forward as well. I'm bullish on the Dogs, reckon they're making the top 4 and pushing in 2021.

Agree re SC

I disagree re list mismanagement. Stef Martin and English will share ruck duties, one will rest forward as the 3rd tall. Hannah will play as that mobile 2nd tall. Naughton as their main key forward. Bont (should have won a rising star playing forward) and Dunks (won a premiership playing forward) will spend a lot time forward as well. I'm bullish on the Dogs, reckon they're making the top 4 and pushing in 2021.
Fair enough. That forward setup is far from glamourous, but it could work. I agree the Bullies will be right at the sharp end of the comp next season. Arguable close to the best coach and the best midfield in the league.

BUT, as a Melbourne supporter I can tell you Mitch Hannan is not going to fill the role of second tall. He's a terribly underrated player and I'm devastated to have lost him, he's incredible mobile and a smart player. He does take a good mark for a player his size, but he's a small forward who does his best work at ground level. If you look at Melbourne's goals over the past 3 years that have come from the most impressive ball movement, Hannan has most often been involved. It will be interesting to see how WB use him as he could be a great value SC small forward option in much the same way that Dahlhaus and McLean were in past seasons.

The Dogs could definitely win the comp if they sort out a gameplan that maximises their midfield strength. For mine the biggest issue will be team harmony. How's Dunkley going to feel playing R/F all season?

I think they are a write off for SC. At least as starters. I'll wait to pick up Macrae once he has played his one or two games where he spends 50% of his time out on the wing.

Will watch the Pies very closely in preseason. No Treloar, Pendles getting older, Beams gone, Sidebottom getting older. Someone will be picking up the slack in midfield - especially if Grandy looks to be back to 100%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dogs could definitely win the comp if they sort out a gameplan that maximises their midfield strength. For mine the biggest issue will be team harmony. How's Dunkley going to feel playing R/F all season?

I think they are a write off for SC. At least as starters. I'll wait to pick up Macrae once he has played his one or two games where he spends 50% of his time out on the wing.

Will watch the Pies very closely in preseason. No Treloar, Pendles getting older, Beams gone, Sidebottom getting older. Someone will be picking up the slack in midfield - especially if Grandy looks to be back to 100%.

Dunkley won't be playing R/F at all next season. Stef & English will rotate R/F. Dunkley/Bont/Smith/Libba to play through the guts and rotate through HF

Can’t see myself picking any Dogs mids now. Bont, Macrae, Treloar, Dunkley, Hunter, Liber are all 110+ players and Smith is a gun too... reckon they all just hover around the 105 mark... I can see Bont maybe being the exception as he should play forward more and can go 120+ with just 20 touches.
Dunkley/Bont/Smith/Libba to play through the guts and rotate through HF

I might tank in 2021... Then in 2022, my SC FWD line will be: Bont, Dunkley, B.Smith, Libba, reigning Brownlow medallist Treloar & reigning Coleman medallist Stephenson!

Traders podcast is projecting Dunkley to pick up forward

Considering how early they called Whitfield to get DPP last year I suspect they get fed some inside info. If the Bulldogs have any intention of retaining Josh long term he will start round one in the guts and will stay there all year

Jack Ziebell dirt cheap?

Daicos maybe one to watch, but will be well over 400k having averaged around low 80s this year, would have to average a bit to be worth it

As long as Taylor Adams is fit he'll go 115

Daicos maybe one to watch, but will be well over 400k having averaged around low 80s this year, would have to average a bit to be worth it

As long as Taylor Adams is fit he'll go 115
Gooey

He go 105 as a FWD

fu** yeah I'm feeling it in my Chol.

2020 isn't even over yet but how fu**en pumped for SC 2021 are ya?

I may be a few high alcoholic beverages in and all that but I'm still rock hard and Hurn isn't around so it's gotta be SC right...
Wowee, onya friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back