Official Bathurst 1000 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Yep, its that time of year again. And with myself living in Bathurst now, I will take it upon myself to be the thread starter :p

A lot of stuff happening this week. Already there has been a free brekkie this morning down in Moore Park ? where all the trucks with the cars in 'em came down and the drivers had a feed before heading up the mountain to setup in their garages!

The mountain isnt closed yet, so I might go for a drive around this afternoon and see what they've done, before they close the track for the rest of the weekend/week tomorrow.

There is a billy cart challenge thing on Saturday. High Tech Billycarts we get to use, and you can win one. So I will try my luck :D

Re: Re: Official Bathurst 1000 Thread

Originally posted by JUBJUB

Is the Billycart challenge on Conrod Straight ? :p

Nah LOL! I wish it was, wouldn't that be great :D.

How about running it through the S bends :p :p

Dangerous?

Nah its in the streets of Bathurst somewhere lol, using these F11 Billycarts :D

This weekend will be known as the sleepless weekend.

Saturday - qualifying and top 10 shootout for the V8's
Saturday Night (or Sunday Morning) - Essendon v Richmond from the Oval, London
Early Sunday (all day) - Bathurst 1000
Sunday sometime - the Japanese F1GP (last race of the season)
Sunday night (or probably Monday Morning) - First Test of the IRS Australia v Ireland.

Geez, its gonna be a busy weekend!:confused:

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk
Where is your office near Masey? The pit straight.

Looking forward to becoming a couch potato this weekend - Bathurst is always fantastic.

Any rain predicted?

And what lap will Brocky bow out on?

We are not right at the foot of the circuit, but its up the hill a bit. I can see the cars coming off conrod, then go onto the straight. And then I can see them climbing back up the hill again. Can see if they go into the pits aswell.

Pretty good view from my point, although probably a few too many trees for my liking!

Bathurst is a dull place until race week, when the whole place comes alive, its amazing out here!

Brocky? Lap 91, Engine Troubles.

On the weather predictions, I am no forcaster, but it was overcast today.

There hasnt been all that much rain out here for a while, and when it has rained its few and far between, so I would imagine the change of rain is fairly slim, although rain always seems to come here when the V8s are in town so who knows.

But going on what has been happened I would say there is a very slight chance of rain from current conditions, but highly unlikely from the conditions that have been around.

Originally posted by mongrelpunt
This weekend will be known as the sleepless weekend.

Saturday - qualifying and top 10 shootout for the V8's
Saturday Night (or Sunday Morning) - Essendon v Richmond from the Oval, London
Early Sunday (all day) - Bathurst 1000
Sunday sometime - the Japanese F1GP (last race of the season)
Sunday night (or probably Monday Morning) - First Test of the IRS Australia v Ireland.

Geez, its gonna be a busy weekend!:confused:

japan gp on live - 3.10pm EST 2.45pm adel/nt time
cant wait till it starts - i sooooooooooo wish i was at bathurst!

id luv to see Larry Perkins get send off in Style & his cars finish 1-2 with garth & bargs get 3rd.

HOLDEN'S R NO.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fords = F***ed On Race Fay

Reckon I might slip a few bucks on the Enforcer for the big one.

A question for those who were trackside today...any good roughies?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FORD - Found on Rubbish Dumps :D
FORD - F***ed on Race Day :D

What a rabble they are! GO YOU MIGHTY HOLDENS!

It was never going to be anything other than a red lion schellacking of the blue wimps. Someone needs to tell Lowndes to take the hand brake off!

Good to see the Holden engine didn't blow up after 1 lap either!

A good race as usual, thought Ingall was a bit stiff with the safety cars.

And a big up yours to AVESCO for giving Murphy a 5 minute penalty - a ridiculous decision. Meanwhile the Rat and Brad Jones both ram guys off the circuit and get a stop-go!

And a big up yours to AVESCO for giving Murphy a 5 minute penalty - a ridiculous decision.

That was the highlight of the day.I was laughing watching Murp have his hissy fit. :eek: It may not have been his fault or the refueller,but the team had to cop a severe punishment for such a dangerous incident.

Peter Brock should stop making comebacks. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile the Rat and Brad Jones both ram guys off the circuit and get a stop-go!

Thought the RAT was extremely stiff there.
From what I saw it seemed that the Super Cheap car tapped the breaks.
Bloody idiot was holding up a faster car, over such a long bloody race.
Idiot.

Thought a couple of Fords were damn unlucky. Breaks failing on the Helix car was unlucky aswell as Lowndes overheating because of a plastic bag in the grill. Just an unlucky day for the fords.

Anyway. I went and had a great time. Got a paddock pass, so I got to go behind the pits and check out the actions.

Found a few little things interesting.
Saw the PEPSI team, and you'd think they would have some PEPSI somewhere. But nope nothing to be seen, water and sports drinks.

Went to another team, I think it was OZEMAIL. Think they would have coke and stuff like that in the fridge. Nope they could only afford home brand :D

Other than the Holdens winning it was a great day.

DJ got to drive the NEW FORD V8 round the circuit, and I can tell you Ford will back next year.
It purred like a Kitten as it roared past us, and was easily the best sounding car out there on the day.
Magnificent Race Car.
Plenty of speed.

The race was an interesting one. The weather threatened, but never really came through, a tiny bit of rain and a little hail, but other than that, a nice fine day. Which was in the end disappointing, because I wanted to see a few crashes (particuarly Skaife).

On Brock, he pulled out of the race about 5 times, putting the car away in the garage, only to pull it out and have another dig.

He must have only been going 100km/hr as I think I could have driven that car round the circuit good enough, but it was a sponsors run, nothing more nothing less.

Found it interesting with one of the pitstops. Team cheered and claped themselves when the did a great pitstop. Reminded me of a footy team when a player kicks a goal.
Only one team did it from what I saw.

Interest also was the difference in the teams. Some of the teams like DJR and HRT etc had Laptops and monitors with all the details of their cars etc.

Other teams which were more privateers, had nothing more than a television in front of them.
Really does show the differences between the teams.

Originally posted by TheMase

Thought the RAT was extremely stiff there.
From what I saw it seemed that the Super Cheap car tapped the breaks.

I thought the Rat was stiff.Ellery looked to be losing the back end as he was going around the last corner.

I was disappointed we didn't see Rodney "Spin King" Forbes go off during the race.It must be the 1st time he's gone through a racewithout going off.
The Crick/Scifleet car [green Falcon] rarely stayed on the track.

Originally posted by JUBJUB

The Crick/Scifleet car [green Falcon] rarely stayed on the track.

Was that the 3M car?

That car sounded like ****!
Absolute piece of crap, so loud, and EASILY the worst sounding car on the track. My mate and I went hoping it would crash out, because I cringed every time it went past.

Quite a good race, but once again the officials were the main target. I would of thought that when Mezera spun in the final corner, waved yellows would have done the trick. Just get a few marshalls out there to push him back. Instead, they brought out the safety car for 3 laps just to pull him out of the litter, and (from memory) he went down a lap.

One more thing, is Neil Crompton the biggest sook in the history of motor racing? When Lowndes brought the car straight into the garage once it overheated, the Channel 10 reporter then spoke to both drivers. Lowndes took it as a racing incident, but Crompton (as he always does) complained that there was litter on the track. What does he want? No plastic bags to be brought into the track, in the event that Neil Crompton is driving around and accidently picks one up? It was so windy that bags were flying all around the track. It was just unlucky that the one he picked up was right across the air intake. If the team had of said to downshift or to back the car off a little, they could have brought him in, cleaned it out, and then Lowndes could have cooled the car. But alas, Crompton in all his wisdom drove the car at its limit, overheating the engine.

I'm thinking of heading down to the Indy next weekend with a plastic bag and getting Craig Lowndes and Neil Crompton to sign it.:D :D

The new Ford catch phrase:

F***ed by an Overheating Radiator Duct:D :D :D

I don't bother with the race anymore it's so boring with just the two marques and having nothing in common with the cars we can buy.
They should go back to the original concept, ie, cars straight from the showrooms with the only mods a roll cage and exhaust system. Classes for all sorts of cars and let em rip.
That's how we got some classics such as the ford GT's, Holden Monaros and the Valiant chargers.
The early days at Phillip Is. had Mercedes, Customlines, Vauxhalls and all manner of other things. The things they needed to be competitive found their way into the cars we could buy - brakes being the biggest improvement.
Overall it was far more interesting. The old adage was "win on sunday - sell on monday".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back