BigFooty Official Official BigFooty Phantom Draft - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order

1. Adelaide - Elijah Hollands
2. North Melbourne - Riley Thilthorpe
3. Western Bulldogs - Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (matched bid)
4. Sydney - Logan McDonald
5. Hawthorn - Denver Grainger-Barras
6. Gold Coast - Will Phillips
7. Sydney - Braeden Campbell (matched bid)
8. Essendon - Archie Perkins
9. Essendon - Nikolas Cox
10. Essendon - Nathan O'Driscoll
11. Port Adelaide - Lachie Jones (matched bid)
12. Adelaide - Finlay Macrae
13. GWS - Tanner Bruhn
14. North Melbourne - Zac Reid
15. Fremantle - Heath Chapman
16. Collingwood - Reef McInnes (matched bid)
17. GWS - Oliver Henry
18. GWS - Jack Carroll
19. Collingwood - Eddie Ford
20. Richmond - Brayden Cook
21. Melbourne - Zavier Maher
22. Melbourne - Blake Coleman (unmatched bid)
23. GWS - Errol Gulden (unmatched bid)
24. St Kilda - Sam Berry

25. Adelaide - Caleb Poulter
26. Adelaide - Tom Powell
27. Hawthorn - Jackson Callow
28. Brisbane - Max Heath
29. Gold Coast - Alex Davies (pre-listed selection)
30. Melbourne - Fraser Rosman
31. Fremantle - Brandon Walker (matched bid)
32. GWS - Tom Highmore
33. North Melbourne - Joel Western (unmatched bid)
34. Carlton - Bailey Laurie
35. Richmond - Jack Ginnivan
36. Carlton - Brodie Lake
37. North Melbourne - Oliver Davis
38. Adelaide - Kaine Baldwin

39. Essendon - Liam McMahon
40. Hawthorn - Luke Edwards
41. Hawthorn - Zane Trew
42. Sydney - Shannon Neale
43. Hawthorn - Connor Downie
44. Western Bulldogs - Isiah Winder
45. Geelong - Kalin Lane
46. Brisbane - Jake Bowey
47. Western Bulldogs - Corey Durdin
48. Fremantle - Liam Kolar
49. Fremantle - Finn Gorringe
50. Brisbane - Conor Stone
51. Port Adelaide - Zac Dumesny
52. Richmond - Josh Treacy

53. West Coast - Luke Pedlar
54. Richmond - Maurice Rioli Jnr (matched bid)
55. St Kilda - Jackson Cardillo
56. Essendon - Cody Brand (matched bid)
57. Collingwood - Tariek Newchurch
58. St Kilda - Max Pescud
59. Collingwood - Ollie Lord
60. Sydney - James Borlase
61. Collingwood - Ryan Angwin
62. North Melbourne - Malachy Carruthers
63. Port Adelaide - Phoenix Spicer
64. Gold Coast - Joel Jeffrey (pre-listed selection)
65. Carlton - Charlie Lazzaro
66. West Coast - Max Holmes
67. Geelong - Cam Fleeton

Preseason Draft

1. Adelaide - Jackson Hately

Rookie Draft

1. Adelaide - Henry Smith
2. North Melbourne - Seamus Mitchell
3. Sydney - Dominic Bedendo
4. Hawthorn - Jackson Ramsay
5. Gold Coast - Rhys Nicholls
6. Essendon - Josh Eyre
7. Fremantle - Hugh Dixon
8. Carlton - Riley Holder
9. GWS - Nick Stevens
10. Melbourne - Callum Park
11. Western Bulldogs - Ewan MacPherson
12. West Coast - Jack Avery
13. Collingwood - Taj Schofield
14. St Kilda - Connor Ballenden
15. Brisbane - Carter Michael
16. Port Adelaide - Matthew Allison
17. Geelong - Patrick Walker
18. Richmond - Campbell Edwardes

Last edited:
Could you give me some info on, R.Angwin, C.Gay, S.Mitchell. And do you think Zac Foot could get another go?
Ryan Angwin is one I took, that lightly built midfielder with great courage, similar traits - though more raw - to Xavier Duursma. Seamus Mitchell is a high-upside forward with plenty of tracks. Clayton Gay is a natural footballer who is small/medium can play at either end, just lacks athleticism.

Just a personal thought in terms of value, really liked what Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, GWS and North did with their picks. Obviously Crows and GIANTS had a bloody good hand, but the later picks were good value. Carlton and North (even purely looking at the outside R1 selections) had great value too.

Just a personal thought in terms of value, really liked what Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, GWS and North did with their picks. Obviously Crows and GIANTS had a bloody good hand, but the later picks were good value. Carlton and North (even purely looking at the outside R1 selections) had great value too.
Bulldogs come out big winners from this one from my view, to get JUH who is largely considered the best talent in the draft, as well as Durdin who fills a direct need for them and could realistically play from round 1, superb work.

It might be good value, but I don't think Carlton supporters would be happy if Austin doesn't bring in any KPDs or rucks.

a few unlucky guys to miss

Harry Sharp - GWV
Sam Collins - Tas
Clayton Gay - Dand
Josh Green - GWS A
Blake Morris - Subi
Henry Walsh - Geel
I reckon Harry Sharp has a greater opportunity to be picked up due to the interchange rule being changed. With less rotations his running ability will make him more attractive to draft. He could be seen as a great project player

Carlton Summary
Draft Review - Carlton

National Draft
Pick 34 - Bailey Laurie
Pick 36 - Brodie Lake
Pick 65 - Charlie Lazzaro

Rookie Draft
Pick 8 - Riley Holder

Carlton made a big splash through the trade period bringing in Saad, Williams and Fogarty meaning that I wasn't going to be making a selection inside the top 30. My strategy was always going to be to take the players that I believed had the best chance of establishing themselves as a best 22 player at AFL level, and if I could add forward/midfield class and a key position defender in the process then that would be a bonus.

I'm a huge fan of both Bailey Laurie, Brodie Lake and Jack Ginnivan so having all three on the board for my selections at 34 and 36 meant that I was a lock to at least get two of them. Ironically Ginnivan went with pick 35 so the decision between him and Lake was an easy one.

With Laurie I see a crafty mid/forward who makes really quality decisions with the ball and has the skills to execute consistently at a high level. He's the type that you want executing that last kick heading into forward 50 because you know he's at least going to kick it to the forward's advantage. He's got talent and a high footy IQ and I really value those qualities.

Lake is more the athlete with good size and speed as a midfielder but he's got plenty of footy talent as well. When sent forward he can be a strong, athletic marking forward and when he goes through the midfield he offers a nice inside/outside balance. Both Laurie and Lake offer valuable mid/forward flexibility and have weapons that give them a real chance to transition to AFL footy.

I strongly considered Patrick Walker at Pick 65 (and with my rookie selection) but I valued Lazzaro's combination of ability and character with this late selection. He's a productive midfielder that wins the footy on the inside and evades tacklers to get the ball to outsider runners and users. He's a really strong tackler and an impressive endurance athlete that will just keep going all day. He'll be hellbent on having an AFL career and he's the type of character that you won't regret bringing into your club.

I'm optimistic about what Holder could do with a bit of time in an AFL system. He projects as an athletic third tall that regularly takes strong, contested marks and can accumulate the footy a bit around the ground. His ability to push up the ground and impact contests in the air and follow up with tackles on the ground are traits that I value at AFL level. He plays well within himself as a key position type, eagerly getting the ball in the hands of outside users or taking his time to spot up the right target by foot. He has the athletic profile to play behind the ball as an intercept defender too which offers him another pathway to an AFL career. He's not going to be ready to go right away but I think a few years in the system could help him develop into a role as a best 22 forward or defender.

Overall I feel it's a pretty successful draft for Carlton. In an ideal world there's enough quality KPD talent that I can add to those stocks but I just didn't feel confident enough at any of these selections that those available would have a better chance at an AFL career over the players I selected. There may be opportunities to address any KPD gaps in the list with additional rookie, supplementary or mid-season draft selections.

Sorting out some threadmarks, we have all the picks marked but adding them for club summaries.

(Use the reader view button top right to view the thread with just the marked posts.)

Adelaide ✅
Brisbane ✅
Carlton ✅
Collingwood ✅
Essendon ✅
Fremantle ✅
Geelong ✅
Gold Coast - Chris25
GWS ✅
Hawthorn ✅
Melbourne ✅
North Melbourne ✅
Port Adelaide - Macca19
Richmond ✅
St Kilda ✅
Sydney ✅
West Coast ✅
Western Bulldogs - Wizard17

If you're tagged above, can you please do a summary of the picks you took for your club 😊 Or if you already have, can you point me to the right post so I can threadmark it?

Last edited:
Fremantle Summary
Lore

Draft Review - Fremantle

National Draft
Pick 15 - Heath Chapman
Pick 31 - Brandon Walker
Pick 48 - Liam Kolar
Pick 49 - Finn Gorringe

Rookie Draft
Pick 7 - Hugh Dixon

That strategy that I focussed on what I felt was best available early and trying to address needs later. In doing the latter a key part was that I traded one of the options of taking NGA player Joel Western in exchange for focussing on the needs for an athletic tall forward / ruck prospect, although to be honest I felt I lost significant certainty attached to a player in Western and possibly quality in doing so (although much of this maybe to do with the lack of visibility of where Kolar is at for this year). Would I want them to do this in the real thing? TBH not sure I do in hindsight.

On the other hand (Despite a number of Freo fans not liking that particularly Chapman doesn't feel like addressing a need) though I really like what I got quality-wise with Heath Chapman and Brandon Walker; they are much more all-round versatile players who I can see easily fitting in in different roles (Walker does also add to the target area of needing speed). Last year's success with Serong reiterated to me that with first round picks 15 or lower you should just go with the best available player if you want to "win" at recruiting; Freo didn't majorly need a player like him but he has certainly already proven to be worth the low pick.

I was not so satisfied with Liam Kolar as a raw athletic player with a bit of potential to work with over a longer period but nevertheless still a lot of question marks; but TBH the other player I was thinking of in not taking Western was Shannon Neale, who is also a very raw athletic type. Finn Gorringe put in some decent work this year, has similar numbers to Western, better size and is hard nosed but I can understand if Freo supporters are disappointed in not getting the speed of Western.

Hugh Dixon whilst dropped for not meeting fitness targets IMO can be an AFL forward if he can turn around on the fitness side; not getting my hopes up that he can but with the loss of visibility of vic players he feels as probable as any to take at a rookie pick. Between him, Kolar and Chapman there is a bit to work with (with each having advantages in different areas in potentially being able to fill the gap) in the process of trying to find a tall to play up forward.

West Coast Summary
West Coast Draft Wrap.

National Draft.

Pick 53. Luke Pedlar.
Pick 66. Max Holmes,

Rookie Draft.
Pick 12. Jack Avery.

West Coast went to the draft with precious little in the way of Draft Picks, both picks being so late ensured that the haul was always going to be both thin and unspectacular.

Never the less my intentions were to add some much needed depth to West Coast's midfield.
I wanted to pick players that were genuine midfielders, not "hybrid flankers" that had essentially played in other positions, but that I thought had also shown traits to be able to transition into mids.
I broke this line of thought with Avery as I think he is such a good player and represented excellent value in the rookie draft.

As pick 53 was approaching I was in a bit of a dilemma, because as at Pick 49 Conor Stone was still on the board and I had him rated a bit higher than that so if he had been available at pick 53, I would have been tempted even though he didn't address the midfield need, so in all likelihood I probably would have taken the next player on my list Zac Dumesny.
As it happened Brisbane took Stone at 50 and then Port took Dumesny at 51.

The next best genuine midfielder on my list was Pedlar, so he was picked.

Rolling into pick 66, I again wanted a genuine mid so took Holmes who is a pure outside mid, I do acknowledge that this pick is highly speculative.
Also considered Jye Sinderberry but stuck with the genuine midfielder line of thought.

Come the Rookie Pick, I just took IMO, the best player available and having watched a lot of him and his progression in 2020 I took Avery.
I though he had some of the best foot skills in the WAFL Colts.
The only other I considered for this pick was Ira Jetta, but I could not get enough information as to how he had progressed with his injuries, the kids super talented but unfortunately he is also very injury prone.

Lore

Essendon Summary
Essendon Draft Review
Pick 8 - Archie Perkins
Pick 9 - Nikolas Cox
Pick 10 - Nathan O’Driscoll
Pick 39 - Liam McMahon
Pick 56 - Cody Brand (NGA)
Rookie - Josh Eyre (NGA)

I couldn’t be happier with the haul I got, not only was I able to address some key areas I was also lucky to get late bids on Brand and Eyre who are two quality developing talls at either end of the ground which Essendon certainly needs to bolster with the exit of Joe Daniher and the ageing Hooker and Hurley.

There is a good chance in the real thing that pick 39 isn’t used but is instead traded for a future pick live on draft night but getting another developing key forward in Liam McMahon is a fantastic result especially as he is already good friends with fellow draftee and key forward Josh Eyre. A forward partnership of Josh Eyre, Liam McMahon and Harrison Jones is a line up with huge potential with 3 players 196cm+ and all great athletes to boot with McMahon at FF, Jones at CHF and Eyre the roamer who would pinch hit ruck.

Cox on the other hand has versatility but I would play him down back with a future line up of Cox, Brand and Ridley another exciting spine. The likes of Zerk-Thatcher and Francis are still unproven but add to a very decent future for when Hooker and Hurley retire.

Every man and their dog knows that Essendon need size in their midfield and just so happens Perkins (188cm) and O’Driscoll (187cm) bring that. Both have their own strengths that Essendon require with Perkins the dangerous attacker and O’Driscoll the elite defensive midfielder. The midfield depth at Essendon starts to take shape especially with Merrett, Parish, Caldwell, Langford and McGrath all still young and the mix now starts to look better.

As an Essendon supporter I would be thrilled with this outcome in the real thing but those picks at 6/7/8 could be very different but still worthy players like Bruhn, Henry, Reid and a potential slide of Phillips. Bids on Campbell, McInnes and Jones would be worthy aswell.

The only other I considered for this pick was Ira Jetta, but I could not get enough information as to how he had progressed with his injuries, the kids super talented but unfortunately he is also very injury prone.

He's playing E grade ammos for Coolbellup. Came back for SF pre-season ridiculously overweight (probably because of injuries) so they cut him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide Summary
Adelaide wrap-up

National Draft

1. Elijah Hollands
12. Finlay Macrae
25. Caleb Poulter
26. Tom Powell
38. Kaine Baldwin

PSD

1. Jackson Hately

Rookie Draft

1. Henry Smith

Essentially the aim here was to drastically rebuild the crows midfield and snare a couple of talls. I feel I achieved this largely bar a couple of near misses pick wise but no biggie at the end of the day.

Hollands a no brainer for me at pick 1 even after a knee, he's a star and you cannot ignore his ability and gives something the crows haven't had since Dangerfield left - x factor and star potential in the middle.

Macrae perhaps this ruffled a few feathers but after a bid on Jones, I stayed true to my talent order, very, very good footballer is Finlay and someone who will makes waves at AFL level fairly swiftly once inserted into that environment. Dual sided, dynamic and attackingwith a football brain.

Poulter and Powell sort of a 1 2 package here - local lads with upside and ball winning ability to compliment the x factor from Hollands. Did want Berry but was gone just before.

Baldwin to finish the National - despite two knees, his talent speaks for itself, worth a punt down here and a nice tall to round out 4 mids.

Hately is a formality and a very handy one at that and Smith is a young project ruck who can take a very big grab and play forward too, quite mobile and plenty of size to build a monster man mountain one day. Project for 3-4 years, might be a reward at the end.

Adelaide wrap-up

National Draft

1. Elijah Hollands
12. Finlay Macrae
25. Caleb Poulter
26. Tom Powell
38. Kaine Baldwin

PSD

1. Jackson Hately

Rookie Draft

1. Henry Smith

Essentially the aim here was to drastically rebuild the crows midfield and snare a couple of talls. I feel I achieved this largely bar a couple of near misses pick wise but no biggie at the end of the day.

Hollands a no brainer for me at pick 1 even after a knee, he's a star and you cannot ignore his ability and gives something the crows haven't had since Dangerfield left - x factor and star potential in the middle.

Macrae perhaps this ruffled a few feathers but after a bid on Jones, I stayed true to my talent order, very, very good footballer is Finlay and someone who will makes waves at AFL level fairly swiftly once inserted into that environment. Dual sided, dynamic and attackingwith a football brain.

Poulter and Powell sort of a 1 2 package here - local lads with upside and ball winning ability to compliment the x factor from Hollands. Did want Berry but was gone just before.

Baldwin to finish the National - despite two knees, his talent speaks for itself, worth a punt down here and a nice tall to round out 4 mids.

Hately is a formality and a very handy one at that and Smith is a young project ruck who can take a very big grab and play forward too, quite mobile and plenty of size to build a monster man mountain one day. Project for 3-4 years, might be a reward at the end.

This is an extremely strong draft performance. I'm crossing my fingers that the real Crows draft comes out looking nothing like this one ;)

North Melbourne Summary
North Melbourne wrap-up

National Draft

Pick 2 - Riley Thilthorpe
Pick 14 - Zach Reid
Pick 33 - Joel Western
Pick 37 - Oliver Davis
Pick 62 - Malachy Carruthers

Rookie Draft

Pick 2 - Seamus Mitchell

The objectives were clear for North Melbourne:

- This was a two-year draft strategy.
- Get the best talent available early then fill needs with later picks.

At pick 2, It all came down to what the Crows did with their first pick. Once they took Hollands, it was to grab a tall and proceed from there. I decided to take the best tall in Riley Thilthorpe. He provides a flexible forward/ruck option for North. At Pick 11, the option was to take a midfielder or possibly a sliding tall and Zach Reid was an absolute bargain. He provides a intercepting defensive option. North Melbourne's KPP stocks are now set.

The next stage of the draft was to bring in needs based picks after picking up the KPP's early. The addition of speed, class and grunt across all lines was the focus. At picks 33 and 37, adding Freo NGA member Joel Western was a bonus with Freo not matching the bid on the speedy midfielder. Joel also adds some welcome speed and aggression to the forward line. With the selection of Davis, it continued the theme of adding aggression to the midfield with midfield bull providing plenty of attacking and defensive pressure.

With picks 62 and Pick 2 in the rookie draft, I've added some speed and attacking options for the defensive/wing halves. Malachy and Seamus both provide plenty of attacking options along with their great kicking skills.

Overall, I thought my selections covered most of North Melbourne's list needs with the KPP stocks now set along with adding some midfield speed, grunt and class across all the lines. The focus now turns to the plethora of classy midfielders in the 2021 draft.

Last edited:
Hawthorn Summary
Hawthorn wrap-up

National Draft

Pick 5 - Denver Grainger-Barras
Pick 27 - Jackson Callow
Pick 40 - Luke Edwards
Pick 41 - Zane Trew
Pick 43 - Connor Downie

Rookie

Pick 4 - Jackson Ramsay

Hawthorn needs to rebuild in a lot of areas except for sml/med defenders as most of our good young talent is stacked in that area of the field, my strategy was to pick the best tall that fell to our pick or grab Phillips, luckily enough DGB was available and so i picked him up, i think he is going to be a good defender in the AFL based on his game style and his mental attributes, like being super competitive ect

my second pick i was hoping Callow would be available, Callow has been impressive in many games i've seen and has added versatility to his game by going into defence this season in the TSL, his best skill is his marking under pressure or better known as contested marking, he is also good at creating separation, good at ground ball pick ups and can be agile with his snaps at goal in open play, he is also pretty accurate shot at goal and can be quick on a lead after standing still creating separation on a lead, either long or short leads, can play stay at home goal kicker or lead onto a wing.

my other picks were at the back end of where the talent starts to thin out, but i think i got some good value from those picks, Edwards has been quality everytime i have seen him play, mostly as a half back, but also through the wings and midfield, strong bodied and medium height, he is just a lot of value at this spot, Trew was being talked up as a first rounder earlier in the year by a few people, but has slid to the 2nd round contention, he has good numbers at WAFL colts and good performances for the AFL Academy v NZL, i think he is decent value at this point as well, then i had to take Downie at the last pick because i couldnt allow him to be taken by another team as i couldnt match any bids after that pick, Downie is a good wing prospect from our NGA with good long range goal kicking attributes.

as for the rookie pick up, i had seen a couple of games from Jackson Ramsay this year which sparked my interest and then on researching him i found that he had been a Collingwood defender for a few years and had become a midfielder once joining the WAFL in where he won 2 bests and fairests and ended up 3rd in the Sandover Medal, love his pick up from the ground, good disposal, smart player as well, obviously too good for the WAFL, really stands out, he just turned 26 so theres at least 5 years of AFL from him and he could definitely play a big role in an AFL team, possibly a Tim Kelly type of pick up, which is the hope.

Lore

Draft Review - Fremantle

National Draft
Pick 15 - Heath Chapman
Pick 31 - Brandon Walker
Pick 48 - Liam Kolar
Pick 49 - Finn Gorringe

Rookie Draft
Pick 7 - Hugh Dixon

That strategy that I focussed on what I felt was best available early and trying to address needs later. In doing the latter a key part was that I traded one of the options of taking NGA player Joel Western in exchange for focussing on the needs for an athletic tall forward / ruck prospect, although to be honest I felt I lost significant certainty attached to a player in Western and possibly quality in doing so (although much of this maybe to do with the lack of visibility of where Kolar is at for this year). Would I want them to do this in the real thing? TBH not sure I do in hindsight.

On the other hand (Despite a number of Freo fans not liking that particularly Chapman doesn't feel like addressing a need) though I really like what I got quality-wise with Heath Chapman and Brandon Walker; they are much more all-round versatile players who I can see easily fitting in in different roles (Walker does also add to the target area of needing speed). Last year's success with Serong reiterated to me that with first round picks 15 or lower you should just go with the best available player if you want to "win" at recruiting; Freo didn't majorly need a player like him but he has certainly already proven to be worth the low pick.

I was not so satisfied with Liam Kolar as a raw athletic player with a bit of potential to work with over a longer period but nevertheless still a lot of question marks; but TBH the other player I was thinking of in not taking Western was Shannon Neale, who is also a very raw athletic type. Finn Gorringe put in some decent work this year, has similar numbers to Western, better size and is hard nosed but I can understand if Freo supporters are disappointed in not getting the speed of Western.

Hugh Dixon whilst dropped for not meeting fitness targets IMO can be an AFL forward if he can turn around on the fitness side; not getting my hopes up that he can but with the loss of visibility of vic players he feels as probable as any to take at a rookie pick. Between him, Kolar and Chapman there is a bit to work with (with each having advantages in different areas in potentially being able to fill the gap) in the process of trying to find a tall to play up forward.
The questionable move for me is around Chapman;
  • If he has realistic capacity to play other positions no problem.
  • If he is rated significantly above other apparent contenders for that part of the draft and who also are better list fits (Cook, O’Driscoll, Carroll, Henry), no problem.

Essendon Draft Review
Pick 8 - Archie Perkins
Pick 9 - Nikolas Cox
Pick 10 - Nathan O’Driscoll
Pick 39 - Liam McMahon
Pick 56 - Cody Brand (NGA)
Rookie - Josh Eyre (NGA)

I couldn’t be happier with the haul I got, not only was I able to address some key areas I was also lucky to get late bids on Brand and Eyre who are two quality developing talls at either end of the ground which Essendon certainly needs to bolster with the exit of Joe Daniher and the ageing Hooker and Hurley.

There is a good chance in the real thing that pick 39 isn’t used but is instead traded for a future pick live on draft night but getting another developing key forward in Liam McMahon is a fantastic result especially as he is already good friends with fellow draftee and key forward Josh Eyre. A forward partnership of Josh Eyre, Liam McMahon and Harrison Jones is a line up with huge potential with 3 players 196cm+ and all great athletes to boot with McMahon at FF, Jones at CHF and Eyre the roamer who would pinch hit ruck.

Cox on the other hand has versatility but I would play him down back with a future line up of Cox, Brand and Ridley another exciting spine. The likes of Zerk-Thatcher and Francis are still unproven but add to a very decent future for when Hooker and Hurley retire.

Every man and their dog knows that Essendon need size in their midfield and just so happens Perkins (188cm) and O’Driscoll (187cm) bring that. Both have their own strengths that Essendon require with Perkins the dangerous attacker and O’Driscoll the elite defensive midfielder. The midfield depth at Essendon starts to take shape especially with Merrett, Parish, Caldwell, Langford and McGrath all still young and the mix now starts to look better.

As an Essendon supporter I would be thrilled with this outcome in the real thing but those picks at 6/7/8 could be very different but still worthy players like Bruhn, Henry, Reid and a potential slide of Phillips. Bids on Campbell, McInnes and Jones would be worthy aswell.
I like your top 3 for the bombers, think Bruhn is too similar, to what they already have in the midfield. Reid may be a chance for them also, if they wanna go with two of the best tall's there.

Pick 13 - Collingwood select Taj Schofield (WWT Eagles/Port Adelaide F/S)

POSITION:
Outside Midfielder/Small Forward

Taj Schofield is a Port Adelaide father-son prospect who made the switch from Western Australia to South Australia, after earning All Australian honours at the 2018 Under 16 National Championships. Since then, he has joined Woodville-West Torrens’ and Henley High School, while making the South Australian Under 18 squad as a bottom-ager. He plays predominantly through the middle of the ground but does some of his best work as an outside receiver. He is often seen at either end of the ground to be utilised as a link player in attacking forays, or as a deliverer to leading forwards as he has shown capabilities on either side of his body. The son of Port premiership player Jarrad, Schofield has long been a highly-touted prospect and a mainstay in the AFL Academy pathway, thus earning a National Combine invite in 2020.

STRENGTHS:

• Disposal efficiency
  • Football IQ
  • Cleanliness
  • Work rate
  • Tackling
  • Agility
IMPROVEMENTS:

• Strength/size
  • Inside work
  • Durability
Schofield’s bottom-age season was impressive where he averaged a touch over 18 disposals and more than four tackles per game. He featured in the Under 17 Futures All-Stars game and even though he was a little quiet, he showed glimpses of his elite ball use and cleanliness at ground level while moving at pace. His 2020 season hardly deviated in terms of stats from the previous season, playing 12 games including finals. Unfortunately, he was ruled out early in two of them with hamstring niggles. He did not record a full game where had less than 15 disposals, but in his top-age season there were not too many big games from him in terms of accumulation. Schofield’s best effort came in Round 12 where he recorded 32 disposals, one goal, four clearances, and seven inside 50s. He did show more of a willingness to hit the scoreboard this season and that is an area he will look to continue to develop in the future.

With a 178cm and 72kg frame, Schofield’s size does not quite match up to some senior players and even to other prospects in his draft class, including 191cm teammate Caleb Poulter. He can continue to look to build on his strength and explosiveness, as well as his key weapon which is his slick ball use. He often relies more on agility and awareness, before spearing short kicks on the move. Building on that could allow him to become a role player for teams as he develops. Improvements to his strength and explosiveness will naturally better his inside game and ability to win his own football inside. He has typically found the ball in more uncontested situations and kicked at a higher rate than he handballed. His transition to AFL level will thus most likely start on the outer, or even up as a small flanker who can dart short and precise passes along the line while contributing at ground level.

To go with his disposal efficiency, ability to get around the ground, and move the ball forward, Schofield’s ability to gather below his knees and make quality decisions demonstrates his quality on the outside. The defensive pressure he applies around the contest is also key to this as it proves he is not just a front-runner, as he is prepared to tackle hard and smother. He has the potential to develop similarly to Brisbane’s Hugh McCluggage, who started predominately as slick wingman, but has started to become a first-rotation on-baller who gets regular shots on goals. While his disposal is usually sound, like McCluggage in recent times, refining that finished product under pressure is another area of improvement.
I doubt that Taj Schofield will not be picked up by Port Adelaide

Hey Monocle - you did pretty well selecting 2 first rounders with the crap picks West Coast had.

At 53 : you took Pedlar - he went to the Crows at 11 who had the inside running on him.
At 66 : you took Holmes - he went to Geelong at 20 (importantly Wells traded up to get him so he has impressed one of the best in the business)

Well done. I think we need to get you and Darren Glass together!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back