Premiership Player
    Aug 19, 2003
    Seaford Meadows, SA
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    Other Teams
    Central District
    Pick #1 Adelaide - Elijah Hollands Murray Bushrangers 189cm 85kg

For me this decision was fairly easy - he's #1 on my list, hence no bid on JUH.

An ACL injury cruelly ended his season although nobody else could play footy over there either. Before this he was putting in some impressive performances as an underage player and was destined to be a standout this season to essentially cement himself as that number 1 pick. But I am not letting the knee waiver my confidence in his ability because if it's just the one knee, then he should be fine. If he does two like Baldwin then it may be a worry but for now we will focus on the clear positives.

Hollands is a dynamic and powerful midfielder/forward who can be that player who says 'come with me lads' and stamp his mark on the game. He has great skills and a burst combined with strong overhead marking making him dangerous up forward. Can run rings around opponents with outside dash but is perfectly competent at winning his own footy and has the frame to do this consistently at AFL level. Genuine star potential, he can be the jack of all trades and master of many to boot. Strong appetite for the contest and capable defensively. Only possible weaknesses would be his tank to play at such a high level in the middle all the time rather than rotating mid/fwd and his production, however he is more of a high impact per possession player. His 20 will be better than almost everyone else who gets 30 etc.

As far as the crows go though, he is everything we need and haven't really had in a long time, that tall and powerful type of modern midfielder who can kick goals from the middle or forward. He reminds me of a more complete version of Andrew Embley from the Eagles golden era.

Last edited:

Pick 2: North Melbourne – Riley Thilthorpe
  • giantroo

Bleeding Blue and White
    Sep 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    AFL Club
    North Melbourne
    Other Teams
    Arsenal, Chicago Bulls
    Pick #1 Adelaide - Elijah Hollands Murray Bushrangers 189cm 85kg

Write-up to follow shortly
    Pick #2 North Melbourne - Riley Thilthorpe West Adelaide 200cm 100kg

Riley Thilthorpe

Forward/Ruck
    West Adelaide
    201cm/100kg

A tough choice between the cult hero of WA, Logan McDonald or the modern day beast, standing at 201cm and 100kg, Thilthorpe was too good to pass up. The big mans’ athleticism and versatility allows him to play as a key forward, ruckman or even play as an extra mid/wingman, similar to the likes of Todd Goldstein, Rowan Marshall and Brodie Grundy. His style fits into the modern game with a decent base of endurance along with his ball-winning ability below his knees that makes him an exciting prospect. As a key forward, he can create separation on the lead or take a contested mark while possessing the ability to kick goals on either side of his body. Riley is very effective in his tackling and his secondary efforts at ruck contests are second to none. While he has been beaten at ruck contents due to bigger opponents, he has ruck smarts in that he can palm the ball to advantage quite well and can clean up the ground ball if need be.

Strengths

- Contested marking ability
    - Versatile - can play multiple positions
    - Athleticism - Impressive below his knees/ constant secondary efforts/ ball-winning ability
    - Disposal - excellent ball use and decision making on both sides
    - Coverage of the ground - good endurance/tank
    - Ruck smarts - taps to advantage

Improvements
    - Ruck leap
    - Durability
    - Speed

Testing details

Yo-Yo test - 20.7
    2km Time Trial - 6.34m

Highlights

Overall, Thilthorpe will fit in well with the likes of Nick Larkey, Charlie Comben, Cameron Zurhaar, Tarryn Thomas and Curtis Taylor in the forward line while also covering for the likes of Todd Goldstein and Tristan Xerri in the ruck. He would be a valuable addition at North Melbourne’s first selection.

andleanback

Last edited:
    Pick 4: Sydney Swans – Logan McDonald
  • andleanback

Premiership Player
    Aug 21, 2016
    AFL Club
    Essendon
    Pick #4 Sydney - Logan Mcdonald Perth 196cm 87kg

I really thought I’d be taking Thilthorpe at this pick, but I’m sure swans fans are over the moon landing Mcdonald. As buddy’s illustrious career nears the end, they desperately need someone the fill the key forward post for the future. He will be ready to go round 1 next year and is already quite capable competing against men as he demonstrated in the wafl this year. Hopefully buddy and heeney can get on the park next season as it will create a mouthwatering forward line, while also taking some of the pressure of Logan as he develops.

Davo-27 you’re up

Pick 5: Hawthorn – Denver Grainger-Barras
  • Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
    Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne
    AFL Club
    Hawthorn
    Other Teams
    Box Hill Hawks
    Pick 5 - Hawthorn - Denver Grainger-Barras - 194cm 78kg - Swan Dist

i think if 1 of the main talls falls to us we would take it, we need tall talent at Hawthorn and i think Grainger-Barras will hold down a key position in our defence for a long time, i love the way he plays, he defends well, he intercepts well, never say die competitor, also did very well at the combine, i think he would be a good pick up for us.

Last edited:
    Pick 6: Gold Coast – Will Phillips
  • Chris25

Oct 30, 2007
    Adelaide
    AFL Club
    Fremantle
    Other Teams
    West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
    #6 Gold Coast - Will Phillips

The best remaining as per group consensus. Add him to a midfield of Rowell and Anderson, and not even Gold Coast can screw this up. He looks a pretty safe option in this draft for me, should be a 200 game midfielder and would allow some of the other Suns mids to play more attacking roles. Ideally I think Gold Coast would go tall given Davies is coming in and I would personally consider Cox and Reid, but Phillips is the pick here.

Over to eDPS for lots of picks

Pick 7: Sydney Swans – Braeden Campbell (bid matched)
  • andleanback

Premiership Player
    Aug 21, 2016
    AFL Club
    Essendon
    Essendon bids on Braeden Campbell
    andleanback
    Sydney match
    Pick #7 Sydney - Braeden Campbell - Swans Academy 181cm 75kg

Sydney match in an instant. This kid has one of the best penetrating left foots you'll ever see and he will be something special. He screams class and is deadly anywhere around goal inside 60m (yes 60m), as seen on grand final day last year when he was awarded best on ground honours in the all stars match. Campbell has sort of slid under the radar of a few due to the amount of tall talent available in this crop and also not being able to play any significant footy this year. He's one kid that would've lit up the championships for the Allies had they taken place and in my opinion pushed his name higher up draft boards. Swans fans should get very excited about this kid running around in the red and white.

Last edited:
    Picks 8, 9 & 10: Essendon – Archie Perkins, Nikolas Cox & Nathan O'Driscoll
  • eDPS

Brownlow Medallist
    Nov 4, 2010
    Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
    AFL Club
    Essendon
    Essendon Pick 8
    Archie Perkins
    Sandringham/VM
    188cm 79kg
    Half-forward/midfielder

Perkins was robbed of showing his true potential this year, set to play more midfield time this year covid ruined Perkins plans but that hasn’t stopped clubs rating him high and he should certainly still fall around this range despite not showing that midfield form that warrants this high selection.

Perkins is a player Essendon doesn’t have much of, a taller midfielder who can take a grab and burst out of a stoppage, his ability to hit the scoreboard is another trait the current Essendon midfield lacks. He may not become a true midfielder at the next level but at worse he could become an elite half forward with his leap, speed and nous around goal.

Perkins has plenty of upside starting the year at 186cm he is now 188cm and could still be growing and still plenty to put on his 79kg frame. What your looking for long term with Perkins is that he becomes a Dangerfield type of player able to burst out of stoppages and then rest forward and hit the scoreboard. These types of players are always the most damaging when they work out their size and consistency and Perkins might not reach that level until his mid 20s.

A great athlete with an even better attitude Perkins is the right fit for Essendon in the top 10 and his upside makes him a very interesting prospect to keep an eye on long term

Essendon Pick 9
    Nikolas Cox
    Northern Knights/VM
    200cm 87kg
    Tall Utility

Essendon need more quality key position depth and Cox is the best available just nudging out Zach Reid, Cox is a superb athlete showing his wares at the combine smashing the 2km and 20m sprint. It’s not just his athleticism and height that make him stand out it’s also his skills and movement with ball in hand. Cox is a brilliant kick of the football on his left and right boot and he can genuinely hurt the opposition when he gets possession as he will also run and carry with the ball.

A query with Cox is if he will ever become a true key position type with his frame and although developing he may not get the required size to go with the likes of Hawkins and Dixon. At worst he could end up a Justin Westhoff type and that’s nothing to sneeze at either. Cox impressed at the start of the year before Covid hit playing a half up against top pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and more than held his own against him which showed to me he could become a genuine shut down player as well.

Cox has plenty of upside with a developing frame and he could genuinely be played in any position on the ground but I would be developing him as a key defender long term. He can go forward for stints to expose short back lines and could always go to a wing for more marking power and running capacity.

A terrific leader, athlete and footballer Nik Cox is a no brainer for the bombers and will form a dangerous tandem down back with Jordan Ridley.

Essendon Pick 10
    Nathan O’Driscoll
    Perth/WA
    187cm 78kg
    Inside Midfielder/Utility

O’Driscoll is the sort of player Essendon have lacked in recent years, a player who works hardest defensively and willing to sacrifice his game and body for the benefit of his team. O’Driscoll is a personal favourite of mine from his likeable personality to his tough edge he will be a player supporters will warm to very quickly.

His standout trait is his ability to our everything into his defensive game, some kids only go about defending half heartedly but O’Driscoll gives it his all every time and despite not being a forward he is a good for atleast 1 chase down tackle attempt every game. A strong tackler and courageous player overhead he has the ability to play all over the ground especially with his fantastic athleticism, he will play senior football very early. Likely his first taste of AFL midfield will be as a tagger.

O’Driscoll’s queries are his kicking which isn’t perfect but certainly not terrible and is usually good enough in general play to hit most of his targets and he is also a long kick when it comes to clearing the ball, favouring to handball he could kick a bit more aswell. Offensively is another area to work on as he doesn’t hit the scoreboard often.

O’Driscoll is the right player for Essendon and although some may say it’s a bit early for him I think this he is being taken in the right range. Very happy with this pick.

Thunderstruck

Pick 11: Port Adelaide – Lachie Jones (bid matched)
  • Macca19

Jan 14, 2001
    Albertr0n
    AFL Club
    Port Adelaide
    Other Teams
    MUFC, Orlando Magic
    Lachie Jones

186cm, 89kg, Medium Defender

Well what can you say about Lachie Jones. Port fans have been awaiting his arrival for over 12 months and will be stoked to get him here. He is a medium defender who looks like he should be a pretty no frills type player, but when digging deeper you see just why he is rated so highly.

The nuts and bolts of it is he is a more than capable shut down defender who plays tall, plays strong and excels at being able to stop his oppopnent. But then you watch him play a bit more and you see his huge kick, you see how aggressive he can be with the ball and there is a fair bit of x-factor there as well. Not only does he show really good pace but he's a huge leap as well, winning the SANFL Mark of the Year. It was the SANFL where he shone this year, playing all season for WWT's league team and playing in their premiership, a fair achievement for an 18 year old. His intercept work can be first class and we will be hoping for some midfield scope as well. He is a plug n play defender, who given his size will be ready to go from Round 1 next year. His recruitment will add some depth to the defensive group and allow someone like Dan Houston to move more full time into the midfield.

Pick 12: Adelaide – Finlay Macrae
  • Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
    Aug 19, 2003
    Seaford Meadows, SA
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    Other Teams
    Central District
    Pick #12 Adelaide - Finlay Macrae 186cm 74kg Oakleigh Chargers

I feel Macrae is a tad underrated around the traps, have seen him right down in some phantoms into the 30's and this low would be almost crazy for mine.

He's a footballer and a smart one at that, hard running, fast thinking and always moving, like a jack in the box, just pops up, knows where to run and dual sided - skills much better than given credit for also. Naturally, he will be compared against his brother and whilst he won't have the same size, he will have better pace and skills, stronger burst, sound overhead, perhaps not as strong defensively as his brother but Jack wasn't the best early on either and now is a very good tackler. Finlay can win his own ball, but be really strong on the spread outside and keeps that forward hunch and balance, he thinks in AFL patterns which I'm confident will see him adapt pretty quickly.

Main concern would be his physical composition, his defensive prowess and scoreboard impact but all 3 of those can be coached. Finlay likely to be just as big of a ballwiner as Jack but better skills for mine. Currently #8 on my board.

Now I nearly took Ford here as I do like him but thought there may be half a chance he was there at #22 but not to be. Bruhn was the other choice, but I did not want to go Bruhn after taking Hollands and have my best two picks with serious body concerns. I also feel Bruhn's lighter frame may cop more of a pounding and take longer to settle at AFL level to the style he plays. He's got more class than Macrae but I feel his AFL impact from his junior career will be diluted more than Macrae's.

Last edited:

Pick 13: GWS GIANTS – Tanner Bruhn
  • PMBangers

@Headless approved!
    Nov 7, 2017
    Melbourne
    AFL Club
    GWS
    Other Teams
    Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
    I wasn't expecting to be able to say this, and he's not the highest on my list but I reckon he's got the least chance of being there at my next one

Pick 13 - GWS Giants

Tanner Bruhn
    Geelong Falcons
    Midfielder/ General Forward
    183 cm 74 kg

GF-Tanner-Bruhn.jpg

I'll be completely honest I had written off Tanner being available at any of my picks. I've recently been re-watching some footage and one kid that has jumped up as a favourite of the draft for me is Tanner. It's not often you find a guy that can win inside and outside ball, whilst hurting opposition with their disposal like Tanner does so consistently, and despite not being gifted with speed it's his composure, that as a lazy comparison can come across Pendlebury-esque, that allows him to get away from opponents with ease and make every disposal hurt.

If anyone has any doubt about how good this guy CAN be, watch his game against Dandenong Stingrays in 2019, not a massive game stats wise bu there isn't a single disposal wasted, not a single tackle not applied strongly, not a single second where you can fault his workrate or game sense.

The durability side of him is a slight concern I'm happy to admit, but his best to date is up there amongst the top 5 of this draft, and if all goes right I can realistically see Tanner being a better prospect than some of the more highly spoken about mids of the draft.

I see him starting Round 1 as long as he stays healthy, as a general forward, and gradually increasing midfield time to make a good trio with Taranto and Green for a good 5 years.

he also looks great in orange
    tanner bruhn.jpg

giantroo don't select the player I want at 14 cheers

Last edited:
    Pick 14: North Melbourne – Zac Reid
  • giantroo

Bleeding Blue and White
    Sep 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    AFL Club
    North Melbourne
    Other Teams
    Arsenal, Chicago Bulls
    Pick #14 - North Melbourne

Zac Reid
    Gippsland Power/Vic Country
    Key Position Utility
    202cm/ 82kg

Couldn’t believe Reid was still here and I’ll snap him up here to replenish the club’s KPP stocks. Zac Reid is the perfect utility that is versatile and athletic. Occasionally used in the ruck and in the forward line, the 202cm Reid was most comfortable in the defensive zone providing composure, interception, marking/ spoiling ability and elite kicking skills. Reid is considered one of the better disposers/interceptors in this year’s draft pool and gets some comparisons with Collingwood’s Darcy Moore.

He would need to add some size to his slight frame but there are no worries about his aggression or his footballing ability.

He would fit nicely with the likes of McKay, Tarrant and Corr in the defensive half.

You're up Ysaye

Last edited:
    Pick 15: Fremantle – Heath Chapman
  • Ysaye

Premiership Player
    Nov 10, 2005
    Perth
    AFL Club
    Fremantle
    Other Teams
    Fremantle
    hmmm...sorry but I am going to play a straight bat this time....

Pick 14: Heath Chapman
    West Perth
    Defender / General Utility / Key Position

Pros:
    • Good football brain, good positioning and reading of play
    • Good mark both contested and uncontested
    • Good size (~192-194cm) coupled with above average athletic ability
    • Good skills by foot
    • Arguably has the skills and athletics profile to play any position other than ruck
    • Work rate and consistency is good, consistently got good possession numbers
    Cons:
    • A touch small as modern KP players go
    • Does not have raw speed - relies more on intelligence and agility to get a break on opponent.
    • Unproven in any other role other than defence
    • As a defender doesn't match a need for the team (Fremantle) being drafted to

Pick 16: Collingwood – Reef McInnes (bid matched)
  • Pie 4 Life

Brownlow Medallist
    Oct 5, 2003
    Dragon Island
    AFL Club
    Collingwood
    Other Teams
    Dragons FFC
    REEF MCINNES PROFILE

POSITION:
    Inside Midfielder

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “McInnes is a strong inside midfielder with great athletic capabilities and tied to Collingwood through the Next-Generation Academy.”

Reef McInnes is a big-bodied inside midfielder who is tied to Collingwood through the Next Generation Academy and one that Pies fans have been talking about for 12 months. Whilst he will naturally progress through to become that inside midfielder – he has all the traits to do so – McInnes spent the majority of his bottom-age year as either a marking forward or rebounding defender, showing off his versatility. It is no surprise he could slot into just about any role and is one that is tipped to cost the Pies a top 30 pick.

STRENGTHS:

• Contested work
    • Clean hands
    • Strength
    • Marking
    • Versatility
    • Acceleration
    IMPROVEMENTS:

• Consistency
    • Kicking
    McInnes has quite a number of impressive traits that standout when on the field. For starters, his strength and power on the inside is a big plus for his role in the future, particularly when he already has the size at 192cm and 84kg in the preseason. Many might cite his 36.2 per cent contested ball-winning rate as not reflective of an inside midfielder and they would be right. McInnes predominantly played outside, usually forward or even in defence for the finals series last year, as the likes of Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson and Will Phillips took the prime inside roles at Oakleigh Chargers. Make no mistake, McInnes would have teamed up with Phillips on-ball this season and made a pretty damaging duo – when they did not have school football commitments – and by not playing in 2020 the Pies might be able to get him for value.

His hands on the inside are as clean as they come, averaging 89.5 per cent efficiency and often he is quick-thinking with his ability to win the ball in close and pick the right exit with a teammate running on the outside. He has a long handball projection which can be placed just perfectly for teammates to run onto, preferring to keep his teammates on the move rather than handballing to stationary targets. When it comes to his kicking, it could improve. He is not a ball butcher as such, but it is inconsistent in the sense that he has the penetration by foot, but sometimes the execution can be off. It is an area that is not too great of a concern for the future, but it will be something the Magpies look at building – along with his consistency – if and when he lands there.

Aside from the on-field strengths, McInnes also has some great athletic prowess for a bigger bodied player. His agility and speed in particular is very impressive, and whilst he did not test in the 2020 preseason due to injury, he clocked a mid-boggling 2.78-second 20m sprint at the AFL Draft Combine. Whilst his agility test was not great at 8.68 seconds, it was not indicative of what he can do on the field, with his evasion and power able to work his way through congestion. Overall, he has that nice blend of athleticism and strength that make him tough to contain on the inside, and then add his versatility to be thrown just about anywhere on the ground and he has a lot going for him.

Pick 17: GWS GIANTS – Oliver Henry
  • PMBangers

@Headless approved!
    Nov 7, 2017
    Melbourne
    AFL Club
    GWS
    Other Teams
    Pick 17 - GWS Giants

Oliver Henry
    Geelong Falcons
    General Utility
    188 cm 77kg

GF-Oliver-Henry-1.jpg

Lets make a trend of Geelong Falcons boys only hey. Henry is one of the more exciting prospects of the draft, thanks largely to his athleticism, but also due to the versatility he has, having played both as a defender and forward in his time in the 'spotlight' and showing a lot of promise either end, it's a win/win selection for a club like GWS who have a need for the role he plays up either end.

Down in the backline I see him playing a similar role to James Sicily, as an undersized intercept player with his read of the ball in flight and marking. It's a role we currently have Nick Haynes playing, the key differences between the two being Height and disposal skill, which I favour Henry in, which would allow for Haynes to extend his career playing as a standard 1 on 1 defender when he starts to lose a bit of speed and leap.

In the forward line, I'd say Connor Rozee is a fair comparison for Oliver, as an athletic medium that can play as a target or crumber, again using his athleticism and in particular his leap to outmark opponents.

There's also a chance he could make it as a midfielder, having shown great skills and decision making up either end there's scope to push him up if necessary. From a GWS POV I'd hope to develop him as a defender, that's where I've liked him most up until this point, and foot skill in particular is a particular area of weakness for us

oliver henry.jpg

Pie 4 Life up now, no match required

Pick 18: GWS GIANTS – Jack Carroll
  • PMBangers

@Headless approved!
    Nov 7, 2017
    Melbourne
    AFL Club
    GWS
    Other Teams
    Yeah just realised that'd be the case

Pick 18 - GWS GIANTS

Jack Carroll
    East Fremantle
    Midfielder/ General Forward
    188 cm 76 kg

jack carroll 1.jpg

Yep, I had Carroll going to you guys previously but think his stocks are rising, especially as the comparisons start rolling in, I'm waiting for someone to bring up the 'Pendlebury-esque' comparison and everyone reacts by putting him top 10.
    I knew making this call early would pay off.

Carroll is a super classy player who's shown talent and reliability as a defender, midfielder and forward over the last 18 months, showing that if he's fit, he's ready to play anywhere he goes Round 1. A big theme of my other 2 selections has been disposal efficiency and decision making, two of Carroll strongest attributes as a player, he very rarely wastes a disposal, or a lead or a run around a stoppage, everything he does is calculated and will 99% of the time work how he planned it to, or at least that's how it seems.

As stated he has the capacity to play anywhere on ground, but long term I see him developing as a really solid winger that plays as an extra rover at stoppages, he has the game sense to be that dangerous Quarter back type player, with all the qualities you look for in a link up type of Winger. Has the capacity to play as a rover straight up, but I'd prefer to keep him on the outside to fully utilise his strengths.

I couldn't find an appropriate picture to paint a GWS Guernsey onto sorry

Now Pie 4 Life

Last edited:
    Pick 19: Collingwood – Eddie Ford
  • Pie 4 Life

Brownlow Medallist
    Oct 5, 2003
    Dragon Island
    AFL Club
    Collingwood
    Other Teams
    Dragons FFC
    EDDIE FORD PROFILE

POSITION:
    Medium Forward/Midfielder

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Ford is a highlight-reel forward who in time will look to progress into the midfield once he builds his tank and increases his endurance.”

Eddie Ford is a high-flying forward with plenty of upside and one who caught the attention of onlookers on more than one occasion. Quite often it involved flying for huge marks, including a number of them while trialling for Vic Metro, but Ford is also able to hit the scoreboard and hurt opposition teams regularly. While he would have liked to progress into the midfield this season, the Western Jets product has to settle with what he has achieved as a bottom-age forward.

STRENGTHS:

• Clean hands
    • Vertical leap
    • X-factor
    • Goal sense
    • Impact-per-possession
    • Upside
    IMPROVEMENTS:

• Midfield development
    • Endurance
    • Consistency
    Ford was unlucky not to make the final Vic Metro team as a bottom-ager, coming close after a solid outing – including one unforgettable hanger – in the trial matches. Growing up to 188cm by the preseason, Ford now is a genuine tall-medium forward and one who has the capacity to move into the midfield with time. Looking at his pure numbers, Ford kicked seven goals in 16 games which might not seem like a lot, but it is his work he does up the ground, where he would roam up to a wing, spend minutes in the midfield, then drift forward and make things happen inside 50.

As a midfielder, Ford showed some signs, but not enough just yet to suggest he could be a full-time midfielder, which is what his top-age year would have been used for. Unfortunately a delayed preseason impacted him some more and he would have been that forward-cum-midfielder to start the season, and then the season never got going. While needing to build his tank further in order to compete for longer periods of time, there is still plenty to like about what Ford offered in glimpses. His clean hands and goal sense for one, helped out by his vertical leap which allowed him to sit on opponents’ shoulders.

He has a lot of the pieces to complete a really promising player in the future. At AFL level, you would expect Ford to play forward in the early seasons before progressing into a midfielder down the track. As it stands, Ford has a high impact-per-possession and he loves a good goal or towering mark, knowing exactly what his athletic traits allow him to do. If he can build that endurance base and work his way into the midfield, then he has all the tools of being that exciting mid-forward who can impact in both areas of the ground.

Pick 20: Richmond – Brayden Cook
  • Smythe

Team Captain
    Mar 26, 2017
    Inner Sanctum
    AFL Club
    Richmond
    Other Teams
    White-Sox-Bulls-Blackhawks-LSU-UNC
    PICK 20 - RICHMOND FOOTBALL CLUB

Brayden Cook
    SA
    189 cms
    82 kgs

FWD / WING

HIGHLIGHTED TESTING RESULTS:
    SA Draft Combine:
    Running Vertical Leap (R/L) – 72cm/74cm
    Agility – 8.45 seconds
    Endurance (2km) – 6 minutes, 48 seconds

STRENGTHS: AREAS TO IMPROVE:
    Versatility Inside game
    Athleticism One v One strength
    Goal sense Finishing consistency
    In game smarts
    Decision making
    Elusiveness
    Marking
    Match winner
    Leading Patterns

Brayden has had a rapid rise up the ranks this year, mainly due to being able to play while others could not, but his own game and game style improved out of site, reflecting said rise.
    Each year there is a bolter or two and Cook, this year, is one i really like at this pick for Richmond.
    His upside looks to be big, and his AFL style traits are there for all to see.

His attacking drive when in possession, with the ability to move through traffic is a sight to see.
    The modern day height for a midfielder will entice clubs to see if he can translate his outside game to an inside one also.

He can win his own ball, and although the stats do not show it, his tackling, whilst it could improve in numbers, is ferocious. He has the ability to win a game off his own boot, and whilst he has kicked a few behinds as well, its his attack on the goal face that is a pleasure to watch.

He wants and wills his own team to win the game and it is infectious among team mates.
    Away from goals, his nous to find space and use good leading patterns is eye-catching as is his burst from a pack when with or without possession.

Without possession he uses his game smarts and ability to read the play to not only spread well into space but create space for team mates and link up in a chain of play from the back line to the forward line, proving his ability to play the wings quite well.

His hands in marking contests are fantastic for a player of his position, averaging around 7 marks a game, and coupled with his ability to hit the scoreboard, (averaging 2 goals per game) his forward ability shines through.

He has had a big growth spurt this year not only in height but he has put on the weight as well so is more ready to get to work than some others in his position who may need a few years to bulk up a bit. I don't think his growth has finished yet either, leaving him to be a pick that i think fits this position for Richmond. He is a Richmond style player and an enticing prospect that i could not leave on the board for anyone else.

Luckily enough Richmond have many positions covered and are going well as a team putting them in a position to grab Brayden here (if only in this draft) as an exciting prospect for the future, and have one of the biggest improvers of the year who not only has grown his game but also his body, with a high ceiling and talent to boot.

Picks 21 & 22: Melbourne – Zavier Maher & Blake Coleman (bid not matched)
  • Chris25

Oct 30, 2007
    Adelaide
    AFL Club
    Fremantle
    Other Teams
    West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
    I won't lie, I struggled with these picks. Most of the ones I wanted are gone...

#21 Melbourne - Zavier Maher (185cm, 82kg from Vic Country)

I like the versatility that Maher offers as a bigger bodied midfielder. He can play inside, and has the type of power you'd expect for his size. He also pushes forward, and his speed is elite in this draft class. Maybe he could even develop off a wing in the long term. He actually compares pretty well with Tom Sparrow as a player.

#22 Melbourne bids on Blake Coleman (181cm, 79kg from the Brisbane Academy)

Right at the top of his range for me, there are about 3 players I considered bidding on. But I'm going with Coleman here for the speed and goal sense, need a partner for Kozzie Pickett in the other pocket. briztoon to make a decision

Pick 23: GWS GIANTS – Errol Gulden (bid not matched)
  • PMBangers

@Headless approved!
    Nov 7, 2017
    Melbourne
    AFL Club
    GWS
    Other Teams
    Pick 23 - GWS Giants

Errol Gulden
    UNSW Bulldogs/ Sydney Swans Academy
    Small Utility
    175 cm 75 kg

errol gulden.jpg

Absolutely stoked to get a NSW local at the club, and one that has a lot of promise. While the big question mark over Errol remains whether he can adapt to playing largely as a Small Forward at the next level I have very little doubt that he can be that and more. Again, a big theme of my selections so far have been two things: versatility and impact, Errol is another that has both of these down pact, often taking some of the more daring options and having them pay off, it's an asset to any team and something we see less and less of with each new crop coming through. Errol backs his footy IQ and read of the game to win ball, or be in the right spot for a handball out of the contest when he's already moving at speed, that sort of attack and instinct is something that will benefit any team the more of it you have.

Ideally, Errol eventually fits in to our Best 22 playing some midfield and forward, rotating with Brent Daniels through both roles as they have similar traits

I don't really have much more, I think a bid should have come sooner and I'm stoked to be taking a player like this in this spot

and of course he looks good in orange

errol gulden 1.PNG

Last edited:
    Pick 24: St Kilda – Sam Berry
  • Knightmare

Brownlow Medallist
    Sep 22, 2010
    AFL Club
    Collingwood
    Other Teams
    Chicago Bulls
    #24 - St Kilda - Sam Berry
    Best position: Inside midfield
    Height, weight: 180cm, 82kg
    Recruited from: Gippsland Power
    Projected draft range: 20-40
    Plays like: Dylan Shiel
    December ranking: 15
    Rationale: Exciting midfielder with an enviable combination of ball winning, clean skills and speed. Winning over 50% of the ball in contested situations, his probability of an AFL career is high. Berry’s position on draft board rises on review of 2019 performance and how consistently influential he was.
    Strengths:
    Contested ball winning, first possession winner at stoppages, tackling, aggression, kick placement out in front of targets to lead onto, dual sided kick, composure with ball in hand, distribution by hand, acceleration with ball in hand out of stoppages, line-breaking run, speed, endurance, works hard both ways, strong mark, versatility to play midfield, defence or forward
    Weaknesses:
    Outside accumulation, running patterns outside the contest

*Other consideration: Tom Powell

Why: Saints need midfield quality and Berry brings the ball winning, speed and skill. A best available and coincidentally the in my view optimal list fit of those I'd consider here. Berry played with and learnt from Caleb Serong and Sam Flanders last year and is almost as good as they both were respectively a year out from getting drafted.
    Powell I considered carefully and he's the higher volume accumulator, but ultimately I feel Berry has more tools at his disposal and is the more damaging and influential player and the better list fit with what I still find a concerning slow and vanilla midfield.

Last edited:
    Pick 25: Adelaide – Caleb Poulter
  • Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
    Aug 19, 2003
    Seaford Meadows, SA
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    Other Teams
    Central District
    Pick #25 Adelaide - Caleb Poulter 191cm 77kg WoodVille-West Torrens

Time for a bit of local flavour - Poulter the next man on my list and continuing my taller midfielder angle with a lovely 191cm outside inside mid who has been dominating SA Under 18 footy. Poulter can play, the question is, how will his Under 18 dominance translate to the AFL. He's got a bit of a funny gait, almost a wobble as he runs, but gets plenty of clearances every game and can hit the scoreboard. His size suggests he could become that big bodied tall mid who can play inside and outside. Right now he's lean and I think will always have those bandy legs but be good enough on the inside without being Bontempelli standard. His upside is high, can add the kg and really make a fist of things but I'd like to see more strength in his marking and more crunch in his tackles. I think atm he nows he's a bit of a lean lad and isn't showing what he's got. Likely to start outside first maybe a wing but is not a winger at all. Doesn't have the penetration for that but certainly can scoot if needed. Has great hands and has a knack of playing in bursts, brilliant then quiet then brilliant again.

One thing he does have is tremendous balance and agility for a 6ft3 mid, if that can be maintained he will be a massive improver and play a lot of AFL footy.

Last edited:
    Pick 26: Adelaide – Tom Powell
  • Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
    Aug 19, 2003
    Seaford Meadows, SA
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    Other Teams
    Central District
    Pick #26 Adelaide - Tom Powell 180cm 73kg Sturt

A no brainer being left on the board here as I continue the emergency rebuild of the crows midfield. Powell is your pure ballwinner, see ball get ball and dish out. Can rack up tremendous amounts of the pill, he reads the play like a book and has it in his hands more than most. Clearance machine, will extract day and night till he drops. But unlike most extractors, he is quite good on the spread too, gets involved in lots of forward forays and link play and is a surprisingly neat kick of the footy. Nice overhead and lightning hands. He's got Tom Mitchell about him but has more quality in his kicking, a bit like a Luke Power when disposing of the pill. I think he will translate into AFL nicely and be one of those big ballwinners that the umpires like, not a damaging per possession type but he'll be on the bottom of every pack dishing it out and too good to pass up here.

Last edited:
    Pick 27: Hawthorn – Jackson Callow
  • Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
    Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne
    AFL Club
    Hawthorn
    Other Teams
    Box Hill Hawks
    Pick 27 - Hawthorn - Jackson Callow - Tasmania - 194cm 101kg

an under rated KPF, great contested mark, good agility on the footy field which is key for KPF's and good ground ball pick up, has kicked bags of goals and played high half forward for Tassie in a lot of games, this year learning some flexibility as a tall defender in the TSL, but is better as a leading key forward with great hands, absolute bargain from my PoV, adds to our KPP group for the future, can play that Roughead role.

briztoon you're up

Last edited:
    Pick 28: Brisbane Lions – Max Heath
  • briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
    Nov 28, 2015
    Brisbane
    AFL Club
    Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams
    NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
    Pick 28. Brisbane Lions.

Max Heath:
    Ruck.
    Sandringham Dragons.
    203cm.
    94kg.

Max Heath is a late developer and was a standout in the preseason for Sandringham against the Oakleigh Chargers. Talked up by former Adelaide and Collingwood recruiter Matt Rendell on SEN and by eDPS here.

This is very much a leap of faith pick on two fronts. First that Heath’s preseason performance wasn’t his one standout game for the year. And secondly I haven’t seen any footage of , but I’m trusting those who have.

Standing at 203cm and already 94kg’s, Heath has a strong frame on him, and could eventually build his body up to something similar to Stef Martin.

The Lions will be in need of ruck depth, after trading out Stef Martin to the Western Bulldogs, and moving Archie Smith and Connor Ballenden to the rookie list, both of whom are out of contract at the end of 2021, and unlikely to be offered another contract.

You can read @eDPS’s write up on Draft Central to find out what type of ruck Max Heath is.

There were a couple of other players I had in mind. I would loved to have put a bid in here, but Brisbane doesn’t usually bid on other teams kids (unless their brother already plays at the club)

Remove this Banner Ad