AFLW Official - Bombers, Hawks, Power, Swans all to enter AFLW from 2022-23 onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.
The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

The four teams put in detailed submissions which were assessed by the AFL Commission at its two-day meeting last week.

And while there will be significant concerns about the dilution of talent in coming seasons the reality is the league cannot continue holding out sides like Hawthorn, who have battled for years to gain entry to the AFLW.

Most likely we went early with her announcement and will release it again once the AFLW season is over.

West coast posted a goodbye and good luck at Sydney article today, obviously shouldn’t have been included in yesterday’s batch and will be followed up soon.

Bulldogs are getting raided.

Not only the Daniel Cherney story about Izzy Huntington considering an offer from GWS, but Essendon have made a big money offer to a Dogs player, who is currently considering it.

I'm told the offer is "Too Good"...

Don't see how they can offer "big money", correct me if I'm wrong but they can only offer up to a tier 1 contract? Toogood would likely be on a tier 2 at Dogs and doesn't she have a job at the club outside of a player?

Don't see how they can offer "big money", correct me if I'm wrong but they can only offer up to a tier 1 contract? Toogood would likely be on a tier 2 at Dogs and doesn't she have a job at the club outside of a player?

From what I understand (and this could all change with the new CBA), you can offer Tier 1 money, plus - and I can't remember the exact number of players per team - offer a marketing bonus/contract on top.

The jobs added onto it are not counted as part of the contract - such as Gilroy at North working in the Roos Shop, one GWS player (I think Barr??) working as their receptionist, and Toogood currently with the Dogs community program.

My feeling is they have offered Toogood a job within/attached to the club, that has more hours/money then her current role with the Dogs.

Would be shocked if she relocated

Why is that ?

People do move states, cities and countries outside of football.

Within AFLW plenty of players have switched states and the Swans would be hoping they can get 6-8 very good players to do so and guide the younger players in their expansion year.

Why is that ?

People do move states, cities and countries outside of football.

Within AFLW plenty of players have switched states and the Swans would be hoping they can get 6-8 very good players to do so and guide the younger players in their expansion year.
Of course but in this case if Riddell was to leave North Melbourne, it would be for money and/or some opportunity facilitated by another club. If Essendon and Hawthorn aren't prepared to make her an offer at least as enticing as Sydney's, I agree that it would indeed be shocking (and alluded to that notion earlier in the thread).

It also seems inconceivable to me that the Swans would be able to make worthwhile offers to both Riddell and Blackburn.

Perhaps it's a first in best dressed sorta deal (in which case it wouldn't just be those two with the offer on the table).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It also seems inconceivable to me that the Swans would be able to make worthwhile offers to both Riddell and Blackburn.

Perhaps it's a first in best dressed sorta deal (in which case it wouldn't just be those two with the offer on the table).

It seems inconceivable to me that she would leave the Dogs. She's already captain (a premiership captain) and I imagine the highest-paid player at the Dogs.

It seems inconceivable to me that she would leave the Dogs. She's already captain (a premiership captain) and I imagine the highest-paid player at the Dogs.
They would have plenty of room to offer two big offers. They can offer both Tier One contracts and there is unlimited ASA for 2 players so it’s definitely not inconceivable.

They would have plenty of room to offer two big offers. They can offer both Tier One contracts and there is unlimited ASA for 2 players so it’s definitely not inconceivable.
Yes those are some of the rules... which apply to everybody. Hence if you have one of the league's best players across the last six years (who has only just turned 27) and you're a mid-ladder club (i.e. not a lot of stars on the list), you should have the means and motivation to offer her a contract that at least wards off interstate teams.

That ASA was for the CBA that just expired, we'll have to wait and see what the new CBA will say in regards to the ASA.
Nothing significant is going to change with the Additional Services and Employment agreements for a long time. It's a system that works well for the players, they'd revolt if earning money outside the salary cap was made more difficult than it is now.

Nothing significant is going to change with the Additional Services and Employment agreements for a long time. It's a system that works well for the players, they'd revolt if earning money outside the salary cap was made more difficult than it is now.

I've been hearing that they are looking to expand the cap at the expense of the exclusion of the top 2 highest-paid players. More than one club have voiced their concern with the unlimited ASA for the top 2 players.

I've been hearing that they are looking to expand the cap at the expense of the exclusion of the top 2 highest-paid players. More than one club have voiced their concern with the unlimited ASA for the top 2 players.
The clubs have the least powerful voice, and the AFL isn't going to be able to suddenly increase Tier 1 payments by 500% nor are they going to implement a rule that halves the salary of the best 20 players.

The only plausible change that players will agree to is the introduction of a limit that ensures things don't get out of hand in the future--I don't see it being set at a value that's less than what a club is currently willing to offer.

The clubs have the least powerful voice, and the AFL isn't going to be able to suddenly increase Tier 1 payments by 500% nor are they going to implement a rule that halves the salary of the best 20 players.

I'm talking about the $100,000 ASA cap, not player payments.

Of course but in this case if Riddell was to leave North Melbourne, it would be for money and/or some opportunity facilitated by another club. If Essendon and Hawthorn aren't prepared to make her an offer at least as enticing as Sydney's, I agree that it would indeed be shocking (and alluded to that notion earlier in the thread).
What about a trusted coach in Scott Gowans.

All good, and please forgive my tone it's just another night frustrating night where the Dogs get raided.
There is high backfire potential to say this but the Blackburn report (the "weighing up" part, I don't doubt an offer has been made) sounds like bullshit to me. Particularly when two of Riddell's best buddies commented on Instagram with responses that don't give the impression she's considering leaving North.

What about a trusted coach in Scott Gowans.
If that's all it took, she would already be at Collingwood. I'm preeetty sure she's turned down better deals from several clubs in the past, including the Pies. (Btw I don't think her game has suffered too much under Darren Crocker)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back