AFLW Official - Bombers, Hawks, Power, Swans all to enter AFLW from 2022-23 onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.
The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

The four teams put in detailed submissions which were assessed by the AFL Commission at its two-day meeting last week.

And while there will be significant concerns about the dilution of talent in coming seasons the reality is the league cannot continue holding out sides like Hawthorn, who have battled for years to gain entry to the AFLW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great decision. Looking forward to the expanded competition.

Will be interested to see how the season is structured though.
I don't think there's much mystery about that at this point.

The return to a single-ladder saved the AFL a lot of grief, even though it didn't guarantee any greater level of fairness. And bringing the season forward indicates a commitment to a 17-round standalone (i.e. not overlapping with the men's) season eventually.

In the press conference, Gill matter-of-factly said the 2022-23 season will be increased to 11 H&A rounds. Felt like he was either mistaken or letting something slip, regardless that certainly hasn't been officially announced (until possibly now, I guess).

For me, the only big unanswered questions remain around venues, which isn't just in regards to the last 4 clubs but it certainly becomes more of an issue/provides new opportunities with them in the mix.

For me, the only big unanswered questions remain around venues, which isn't just in regards to the last 4 clubs but it certainly becomes more of an issue/provides new opportunities with them in the mix.

Definitely.

The Hawks, for instance, won't be able to play at VFL Park so do they hitch their wagon at Box Hill City Oval?

Definitely.

The Hawks, for instance, won't be able to play at VFL Park so do they hitch their wagon at Box Hill City Oval?
They are going to play predominantly at Dingley.

But entirely at Dingley? Maybe not. Perhaps they'll play some in Launceston, or somewhere in Gippsland. And what if Dingley isn't ready come December 2022? Maybe they'll use Ikon Park for a little bit.

Could the league further explore occasional double-headers at Marvel Stadium? Would Essendon be interested in playing their first game there next year, or every year, and use Craigieburn/Windy Hill etc the rest of the time.

Box Hill City Oval? It'd be tough during summer. But I've heard there might be other cricket grounds soon entering the AFLW conversation.

They are going to play predominantly at Dingley.

But entirely at Dingley? Maybe not. Perhaps they'll play some in Launceston, or somewhere in Gippsland. And what if Dingley isn't ready come December 2022? Maybe they'll use Ikon Park for a little bit.

Could the league further explore occasional double-headers at Marvel Stadium? Would Essendon be interested in playing their first game there next year, or every year, and use Craigieburn/Windy Hill etc the rest of the time.

Box Hill City Oval? It'd be tough during summer. But I've heard there might be other cricket grounds soon entering the AFLW conversation.

Id expect them to play Dingley/Box Hill (like Freo at Freo oval) with the occasional game at Marvel. If the dees ca play at Casey, Hawthorn certainly wont have issues at Box Hill. Ikon Park was billed as the home ground as AFLW or something but its not quite panning out that way.

So Lions and Freo to battle out for the cup for about 3 years, while all the Vic and SA teams recover from expansion, and the Eagles and GC keep building their lists.

So Lions and Freo to battle out for the cup for about 3 years, while all the Vic and SA teams recover from expansion, and the Eagles and GC keep building their lists.
Didn't the Lions lose more players to Vic expansion teams than the Demons?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back