AFLW Official - Bombers, Hawks, Power, Swans all to enter AFLW from 2022-23 onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.
The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

The four teams put in detailed submissions which were assessed by the AFL Commission at its two-day meeting last week.

And while there will be significant concerns about the dilution of talent in coming seasons the reality is the league cannot continue holding out sides like Hawthorn, who have battled for years to gain entry to the AFLW.

For me, the only big unanswered questions remain around venues, which isn't just in regards to the last 4 clubs but it certainly becomes more of an issue/provides new opportunities with them in the mix.

Essendon would be ready. The amount of money invested to the facilities at Tullamarine virtually ensures that the games will be there until Premier cricket is finished at Windy Hill, which is a finals venue for Premier Cricket every year. Even has lights for night football. Only thing missing is the scoreboard.

The standard of the comp will drop big time the first season all 4 come in

Surprised they didn’t spread it over 2 years
I expect the standard of the Vic and NSW teams, especially the new teams and most recent additions, to drop for potentially 3 seasons until their draft pools catch up.

Doubt that happens in the future. Much fewer interstate players on our list, and some of the ones we do have, have family here, which is why they nominated us in the first place.
I do too, but my point was more in regards to the Dees part of the equation.

They only lost a very small amount of talent while the number of Vic teams went from 4 to 8 (they did go backwards a little bit in 2019, but that was entirely due to the skipper's absence imo).

Going from 8 to 10 Vic teams should be a walk in the park by comparison, I think quite a few clubs will have a similar experience to that of Melbourne's.

Essendon would be ready. The amount of money invested to the facilities at Tullamarine virtually ensures that the games will be there until Premier cricket is finished at Windy Hill, which is a finals venue for Premier Cricket every year. Even has lights for night football. Only thing missing is the scoreboard.
Well I know Tullamarine has a lot going for it and VFLW games are occasionally played there, but I haven't read anything from Essendon that suggests AFLW games would or wouldn't be played there, even as a short-term solution.

Certainly wasn't mentioned in the original bid, they were talking about Highgate Recreation Reserve back then.

They only lost a very small amount of talent while the number of Vic teams went from 4 to 8 (they did go backwards a little bit in 2019, but that was entirely due to the skipper's absence imo).

Going from 8 to 10 Vic teams should be a walk in the park by comparison, I think quite a few clubs will have a similar experience to that of Melbourne's.

Well I know Tullamarine has a lot going for it and VFLW games are occasionally played there, but I haven't read anything from Essendon that suggests AFLW games would or wouldn't be played there, even as a short-term solution.

Certainly wasn't mentioned in the original bid, they were talking about Highgate Recreation Reserve back then.
I won’t even pretend I know what the expansion rules are, or will be, but it would be very difficult for St Kilda, Geelong or Richmond to lose many or any players at the end of next year.

Cricket will also hit Highgate for much of the season. There's no cricket at Tullamarine.

Unless things have changed recently, Craigieburn's turf side play there.
DS Aitken and VI Foster have the turf wickets, if memory serves.

But either way, at one stage Essendon were also saying they would play the first ever AFLW game in a remote indigenous community, so they could be exploring a variety of options.

An upgraded Henson Park has been the obvious option for the Swans' home ground for a while now, but it's good to finally get more of an indication that the wheels are definitely in motion.
Inner West Council last month adopted a new 10-year plan of management for Henson Park, including concept drawings for a refurbished grandstand submitted by the AFL, which is determined to address Sydney’s dire shortage of ovals fit for elite-level football.

The council also provided a letter of support for the Swans’ AFLW bid submission...

Brisbane and Fremantle were by far the two hardest hit by expansion at the end of the 2019 season and both bounced back well and quickly, with Freo undefeated and Bris winning premiership in 2021.
What you end up with is loyal players who are their for the right reason abd this has strengthened those teams rather than weaken them.
The same will happen in Victoria as king as the AFL protect the weaker sides from losing too many quality players.

Brisbane and Fremantle were by far the two hardest hit by expansion at the end of the 2019 season and both bounced back well and quickly, with Freo undefeated and Bris winning premiership in 2021.
What you end up with is loyal players who are their for the right reason abd this has strengthened those teams rather than weaken them.
The same will happen in Victoria as king as the AFL protect the weaker sides from losing too many quality players.
Collingwood lost:
- Jasmine Garner 2 x AA, AFLW MVP and AFL Coaches Association Champion Player of the Year
- Jess Duffin 1 x AA
- Moana Hope marquee player
- Emma King marquee player

Consequently they only won one game the next year.

Given the draft states / regions nominations I think Victorian clubs will find it harder to replace any lost players than other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood lost:
- Jasmine Garner 2 x AA, AFLW MVP and AFL Coaches Association Champion Player of the Year
- Jess Duffin 1 x AA
- Moana Hope marquee player
- Emma King marquee player

Consequently they only won one game the next year.

Given the draft states / regions nominations I think Victorian clubs will find it harder to replace any lost players than other clubs.
Collingwood also lost Molloy to injury for that whole year. And Caitlyn Edwards to rugby. And traded Christina Bernardi to the Giants, who actually was an All-Australian before she left the Pies, unlike Garner and Duffin.

Very plausible that they would've won 3 games again in 2019 like the previous two seasons, despite the expansion departures, if they managed to keep those players on the park (especially since two of their losses were by less than a kick).

Combine that with Collingwood's results in the last two years, it definitely speaks to how the established/inaugural clubs are well placed to absorb these so-called player exoduses. So far it's only the travails of the Bulldogs to have suggested otherwise, and yet they are still well ahead of 5-of-6 expansion teams.

Some of the expansion rules covered here but details still to be worked out.
The U18 talent from NGA region will be the really interesting one for Essendon, Hawks and Port in particular. Essentially means Essendon have access to the best Calder Cannons talent for the 2022 Draft, which is admittedly a weaker pool than this past draft, and Hawks have access to the best Eastern Ranges and Gippsland Power talent. Decent bit of talent for the Hawks in that case, Mia Busch from Eastern would be a Top 10 prospect in the Vic Pool currently, with Yasmin Duursma and Lily Rose-Williamson from Gippy also promising prospects, all three would be a handy start

So, does this mean the bottom team will wind up with picks 9 and 23 or 9 and 27? Asking for a friend whose team might finish bottom.

yeah Vacuous Space, National Draft picks 9 and 27 (pick 9 + 18 teams = 27 next pick):(
probably means in VIC Draft, Charlotte Baskaran, Jasmine Fleming, Montana Ham, Sofia Hurley (projected VIC top 4) all gone to Essendon, Hawthorn
chin up, at least you'll have the next pick :)

Last edited:
The U18 talent from NGA region will be the really interesting one for Essendon, Hawks and Port in particular. Essentially means Essendon have access to the best Calder Cannons talent for the 2022 Draft, which is admittedly a weaker pool than this past draft, and Hawks have access to the best Eastern Ranges and Gippsland Power talent. Decent bit of talent for the Hawks in that case, Mia Busch from Eastern would be a Top 10 prospect in the Vic Pool currently, with Yasmin Duursma and Lily Rose-Williamson from Gippy also promising prospects, all three would be a handy start

i would doubt they (Essendon, Hawthorn) would be able to NGA pre-select more than 1 player, based on last expansion (only 1 was allowed)

i would doubt they (Essendon, Hawthorn) would be able to NGA pre-select more than 1 player, based on last expansion (only 1 was allowed)
There'd be arguments for and against an increase, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it be 3, or maybe 1 from each club NAB League club and allow Essendon to get someone from the Pioneers (which let's be real, would be Di Donato) given they've got that VFLW connection

There'd be arguments for and against an increase, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it be 3, or maybe 1 from each club NAB League club and allow Essendon to get someone from the Pioneers (which let's be real, would be Di Donato) given they've got that VFLW connection

last expansion season 2020, GC, StK, Rich, WC
the junior pre-selects were
GC Charlotte Hammans, Ellie Hampson, Kitara Farrar (QAFLW)
WC Mikayla Bowen, Rosie Deegan, (WAWFL)
StK Molly McDonald, Isabella Shannon, (Dandenong Stingrays)
Rich 0
so yeah your probably right

Last edited:
yeah Vacuous Space, National Draft picks 9 and 27 (pick 9 + 18 teams = 27 next pick):(
probably means in VIC Draft, Charlotte Baskaran, Jasmine Fleming, Montana Ham, Sofia Hurley (projected VIC top 4) all gone to Essendon, Hawthorn
If those are the picks, I'm absolutely 100% fine with having the next pick.

Somebody inform Paige Scott and Amber Clarke they've been robbed of a mention here 😥

last expansion season 2020, GC, StK, Rich, WC
the junior pre-selects were
GC Charlotte Hammans, Ellie Hampson, Kitara Farrar (QAFLW)
WC Mikayla Bowen, Rosie Deegan, (WAWFL)
StK Molly McDonald, Isabella Shannon, (Dandenong Stingrays)
Rich 0
so yeah your probably right
My memory is the limit was three last time, it's just the Saints and Tigers didn't want to sign that many. I believe the cutoff for the signings was really early in the process as well (March or something?). Tiges had to select off Bendigo and Murray, IIRC. Bendigo had no players drafted and Murray only had Millie Brown, who went FD to Geelong. Saints could have signed Sandy players, but I don't think any of them got drafted either.

If signings are on NGA zones, that's a huge win for the Hawks.

My memory is the limit was three last time, it's just the Saints and Tigers didn't want to sign that many. I believe the cutoff for the signings was really early in the process as well (March or something?). Tiges had to select off Bendigo and Murray, IIRC. Bendigo had no players drafted and Murray only had Millie Brown, who went FD to Geelong. Saints could have signed Sandy players, but I don't think any of them got drafted either.

If signings are on NGA zones, that's a huge win for the Hawks.

yeah your spot on the info above regarding Saints and Tigers
but i don't understand why Saints were allowed to pre-sign 2 Dandy Stingrays when their NGA is Sandy dragons?

If signings are on NGA zones, that's a huge win for the Hawks
Mia Busch (ER), Lily-Rose Williamson (GP), Yasmin Duursma (GP), looks handy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back