AFLW Official - Bombers, Hawks, Power, Swans all to enter AFLW from 2022-23 onwards.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.
The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

The four teams put in detailed submissions which were assessed by the AFL Commission at its two-day meeting last week.

And while there will be significant concerns about the dilution of talent in coming seasons the reality is the league cannot continue holding out sides like Hawthorn, who have battled for years to gain entry to the AFLW.

Must say I'm surprised the Swans have managed to get Morphett from the Giants considering she was drafted out of the Giants academy last year. McKinnon was the Giants ruckman that I was expecting we would end up with.
Me too. Swans on the right side of that outcome imo, just quietly.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)

Maddy Prespakis was always target number one for Bomberland. Bomber insiders told me last year it was going to be a 'write your own cheque' situation for Maddy.

They know she bleeds red and black, see her as a future captain, and someone to build the club marketing campaign around.

And getting Georgia Gee - bloody nice bonus.

As I told my Carlton supporting mate, "we didn't just steal from you - we set your house on fire, just for fun".

FoopyNerd

Debutant
Jan 23, 2022
AFL Club
Sydney
Totally agree. We may well give the Giants the picks to make the trade for Huntington as a result of signing Morphett (plus Doyle and the other academy girls the Giants drafted last year)
Don't need to give them anything. The girls come for free.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Me too. Swans on the right side of that outcome imo, just quietly.

whats your take on these comments in the Ally Morphett article Teen Wolf

"YOUNG ruck Ally Morphett is expected to be one of the next Giants to cross to the Swans.
Due to Morphett being drafted last year, it's expected that Sydney will have to negotiate a trade with its crosstown rivals – rather than sign her as a free agent – in order to complete the deal."

is it you can't sign last years draftees as free agents??

FoopyNerd

Debutant
Jan 23, 2022
AFL Club
Sydney

"YOUNG ruck Ally Morphett is expected to be one of the next Giants to cross to the Swans.
Due to Morphett being drafted last year, it's expected that Sydney will have to negotiate a trade with its crosstown rivals – rather than sign her as a free agent – in order to complete the deal."

Didn't see that. Strange! Must be some new rules that the clubs have been told but not the public, would like an insider's take on this!

I don't even know if a points system is going to be happening or not--talk of that seems to have died down despite also being "expected". Maybe that's being abandoned, again, in favour for this.

Or, it could be that the Giants are expected to lose more than their quota, in which case the older players might get first crack at leaving as free agents.

First mention of the (possible) points system in a while:
There are also points attached to players that affect the draft picks clubs receive once the sign and trade period ends

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bates and Hatchard have both reaffirmed their commitment to their clubs in the past day or two. Marinoff also claimed after the GF win that she would definitely stay. That's the top three players from this year's B&F sticking by their clubs.

You'd have to think that the best players at premiership-contending clubs would be looking at how poorly the first round of expansion clubs have gone so far (North Melbourne aside) and would be thinking twice about moving.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bates and Hatchard have both reaffirmed their commitment to their clubs in the past day or two. Marinoff also claimed after the GF win that she would definitely stay. That's the top three players from this year's B&F sticking by their clubs.

You'd have to think that the best players at premiership-contending clubs would be looking at how poorly the first round of expansion clubs have gone so far (North Melbourne aside) and would be thinking twice about moving.
Who is next best players?

Surely, Port would get a marquee player from Adelaide?

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who is next best players?

Surely, Port would get a marquee player from Adelaide?

It seems likely that their best player(s) will be from the Crows, yes. Sarah Allan would be a massive signing but she has given indications of wanting to stay the Crows (nothing so formal as Hatchard or Marinoff though). Presumably Chelsea Randall will stick around as well.

Erin Phillips is the obvious choice for marquee player, but it's not yet clear whether she even wants to keep playing AFLW, or even remain in Australia.

Beyond those names, either of Ash Woodland or Eloise Jones could realistically be marquee players at Port whereas they would only be tier 2 at the Crows (Woodland was probably tier 3 or 4 this year). Danielle Ponter, Stevie-Lee Thompson, Rachelle Martin, Teah Charlton and our rucks Montana McKinnon and Caitlin Gould are all very good players who would definitely earn more money at Port than they would at the Crows.

You'd have to think they would also be looking closely at trying to bring Chloe Scheer back home. She is a bloody good player.

It seems likely that their best player(s) will be from the Crows, yes. Sarah Allan would be a massive signing but she has given indications of wanting to stay the Crows (nothing so formal as Hatchard or Marinoff though). Presumably Chelsea Randall will stick around as well.

Erin Phillips is the obvious choice for marquee player, but it's not yet clear whether she even wants to keep playing AFLW, or even remain in Australia.

Beyond those names, either of Ash Woodland or Eloise Jones could realistically be marquee players at Port whereas they would only be tier 2 at the Crows (Woodland was probably tier 3 or 4 this year). Danielle Ponter, Stevie-Lee Thompson, Rachelle Martin, Teah Charlton and our rucks Montana McKinnon and Caitlin Gould are all very good players who would definitely earn more money at Port than they would at the Crows.

You'd have to think they would also be looking closely at trying to bring Chloe Scheer back home. She is a bloody good player.
The core I'd be desperate to hang on to
Allan, Biddell, Randall, Marinoff, Hatchard, Martin, McKinnon, Woodland, Charlton

Keep those 9 - and I feel we will continue to be able to compete with Freo/Brisbane/Melbourne (They're the real competition atm)

So in recent weeks there have been reports of offers rejected by at least Hatchard, Bates, Rowe, Schleicher, Bonnici, Georgie Prespakis, Riddell, Kearney, Gilroy, Blackburn and Lamb. Substantial offers, at that.

And yet during that time I've encountered a constant stream of complaints that AFLW players aren't loyal, only in it for a quick buck etc etc. Something doesn't add up.

Profop

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
With the season starting in August and the need for a preseason before that surely there can't be long left for the expansion clubs to lock in their squads?

Profop

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
I believe the draft will be in early June, so they will probably have the best part of a month for expansion signings.
Surely the expansion signings need to be before the draft for any compensation to be able to be used?

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the first thing will need to be the CBA. Unfortunately after the last one I think this may be divisive and drawn out. Or they may go with similar money for Season 7.

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
False rumour started here! Why doesn't Daisy Pearce have a season at Geelong. If she is going to join coaching staff at Geelong. Play for AFLW side.

Back