AFLW Official - Bombers, Hawks, Power, Swans all to enter AFLW from 2022-23 onwards.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.
The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

The four teams put in detailed submissions which were assessed by the AFL Commission at its two-day meeting last week.

And while there will be significant concerns about the dilution of talent in coming seasons the reality is the league cannot continue holding out sides like Hawthorn, who have battled for years to gain entry to the AFLW.

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is pure speculation, but given her Defence background I wonder if she's moving to Adelaide to sign with Port? SA is the biggest hirer of defence workers. That's the same path that saw Rhiannon Metcalfe come to the Crows.
I believe the difference is that Metcalfe already had an ally in Goddard from the Canberra competition.

HereIam86

Club Legend
Jun 5, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
La lakers Brisbane Heat

Where do we reckon she's heading off to? Gold Coast? Port Adelaide? Sydney?

There'd be at least 12 sides that she'd get a walk-up start in I think.

Not sure what club she would go to can see why she’s leaving more opportunity some where else for her. Maria not in the the best team was only coming in when there was a injury.

I haven't heard any talk of any North Melbourne girls going, or even being linked to one of the expansion clubs other than Ash Riddell who looks to be staying. Hard to believe everything is stable at Arden Street after the disappointment of the last two finals campaigns.

I haven't heard any talk of any North Melbourne girls going, or even being linked to one of the expansion clubs other than Ash Riddell who looks to be staying. Hard to believe everything is stable at Arden Street after the disappointment of the last two finals campaigns.
Hawks went after gilroy but she turned them down. Clubs came after Kearney but she’s knocked them back too

Most of the girls seem well settled

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
I heard Kaitlyn Ashmore is gone, thus why North have shown an interest in acquiring Niamh Kelly from West Coast.

I heard Kaitlyn Ashmore is gone, thus why North have shown an interest in acquiring Niamh Kelly from West Coast.
I’ve only heard that rumour here, I’ve haven’t seen it from any other “more reliable” sources so I’ve dismissed it as Bigfooty BS until shown otherwise.

Hawks went after gilroy but she turned them down. Clubs came after Kearney but she’s knocked them back too

Most of the girls seem well settled
Even thought I don’t think we utilised her abilities to their fullest last season, we didn’t see as many dashes through the centre, taking on defenders and/or long bombs into forward fifty, I’m a little surprised that a club would try and “steal” Gilroy. She doesn’t seem like the person who would cut and run for more cash.

Was Kearney ever going to leave? First player we signed, Captain of the club and is more ingrained into the club culture than some of the male players we have at the moment.

News Corp says Port will announce the Houghton signing tomorrow. I couldn't see her leaving Fremantle unless Ebony Antonio was also on the move or vice versa, so that report from last week is perhaps starting to fit.

If Kaitlyn Ashmore is headed to Essendon, I don't know why that news is taking so long to come through. At this point it'd make more sense if she's going to Hawthorn who are just waiting to unveil bigger recruits first, whoever that may be. There doesn't seem to be many in the mix atm: Antonio (though I'd guess she's more likely to join the Bombers), Bodey, maybe still Breann Moody (haven't heard anything about her for a while)... then somebody like Mikayla Bowen who's not at that level yet.

Also mentioned last week was the trio of Grider, O'Dwyer and Ellenger being pursued by Sydney: "there is a widely shared school of thought in AFLW circles that if one of that trio leaves Brisbane, the other two could follow". Certainly doesn't look like Grider's leaving.

Back