AFLW Official - Bombers, Hawks, Power, Swans all to enter AFLW from 2022-23 onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.
The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

The four teams put in detailed submissions which were assessed by the AFL Commission at its two-day meeting last week.

And while there will be significant concerns about the dilution of talent in coming seasons the reality is the league cannot continue holding out sides like Hawthorn, who have battled for years to gain entry to the AFLW.

Latest AFLW player movement news:
🏏🏉Collingwood set to land WBBL cricketer Emily Smith;
😈😼Jackie Parry likely to head from Melbourne to Geelong;
🦁🍐Indy Tahau weighing up move from Brisbane to Port Adelaide

Have mercy on Hawthorn if Lucas-Rodd is as good as they get.

I know it will be spun the other way, that it's supposedly a disaster for St Kilda, but Olivia Vesely and Tarni White should be much higher retention priorities (knowing that they ideally have Smith, Patrikios and Stevens to add).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes no sense that Georgia Nanscawen, having missed just two games so far, is still playing VFLW. Could probably say the same for a few others too. Little to gain vs risk of: injury, lack of rest before AFLW pre-season starts in a month, and getting away with bad habits creeping in.

Seems to be one area I'd favour Hawthorn's approach at this stage, which was perhaps influenced by the scare they had with Zoe Barbakos. One might whatabout Ainslie Kemp etc, but I'd assume the objective with some players is to see if they can get through the season before guaranteeing a contract.

Somebody told me recently that it's the Bulldogs who are most likely to sign Kaitlyn Ashmore, so both new teams have dropped the ball there if that rather strange tale turns out to be true. Less seriously, but keeping on the topic of Hawthorn, only now after Ebony Antonio's recommitment to Fremantle do I realise the (missed) opportunity for her to be inspired by yet another stage of Trent Croad's career!

Looking at the Hawks signings compared to the Bombers either the Dons have decided to breach the salary cap massively or the Hawks head office have decided to embezzle a bunch of their player funds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back