AFLW Official - Bombers, Hawks, Power, Swans all to enter AFLW from 2022-23 onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.
The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

The four teams put in detailed submissions which were assessed by the AFL Commission at its two-day meeting last week.

And while there will be significant concerns about the dilution of talent in coming seasons the reality is the league cannot continue holding out sides like Hawthorn, who have battled for years to gain entry to the AFLW.

Will she be the first AFLW player to play for four different clubs?
Yep
Adelaide 2017-2019
Melbourne 2020
Gold Coast 2021-2022
Hawthorn 2022-2023*

One way to examine how each club is faring in their bids to attract/retain top players:
aflw2022may17.jpg

Of course it'd be a far more accurate way to track things if I was in charge of AA and RS selections, c'est la vie. And an even better way would be to rank the 100 (or 126?) most valuable players in the league, but that's a wait-until-the-trade-period-is-over job.

Scott Gowans said on radio last week that the Swans will have an "exciting" announcement "later next week" regarding a marquee signing (or possibly marquees, hard to tell if he was pluralising). Anybody who truly wants the best for this 18-team league will be hoping that announcement involves some As and Bs from the bottom-right quadrant of the above table... but we probably shouldn't get our hopes up too high.

Last edited:
Very disappointed especially howe we get no compensation for the loss of a key required player like Sarah Perkins.
It’s a State based draft system, in a semi professional sport, what type of compensation are looking for.

I’ll gladly give you pick 1, not that it will make any difference to you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a State based draft system, in a semi professional sport, what type of compensation are looking for.

I’ll gladly give you pick 1, not that it will make any difference to you.
We can't lose a required player for nothing though. That isn't fair

We can't lose a required player for nothing though. That isn't fair

It may not be, but has effectively happened in every round of expansion including when the Suns recruited players from Brisbane and elsewhere in their startup year.

FWIW despite being a Hawks fan I would have liked Perkins to stay at the Suns and help them to target a strong finish for the upcoming season.

It is farcical that to date (once again) with a few exceptions stronger clubs are retaining core players and losing depth while the middle and weaker clubs are providing superior talent relatively speaking to their weaker lists.

Hopefully this shifts by the end of the trade period but I wouldn’t count on it.

It's totally fair if the value of the player lost is proportionate to what other clubs lose. Too early to judge that.

Arguably it's also fair if the player came to the club as a mature-ager and is now returning to her home state after two years, rather than being a product of the local talent pathway.

The trend of announcing players leaving for "an expansion club" but not naming said club is incredibly annoying.
Normally the destination club would announce straight after, but considering Walla's retirement, feeling like the Dons are holding back a day or two.

If it was another club, like I mentioned, their announcement would have been almost immediately after the Cats'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back