AFLW Official - Bombers, Hawks, Power, Swans all to enter AFLW from 2022-23 onwards.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.
The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

The four teams put in detailed submissions which were assessed by the AFL Commission at its two-day meeting last week.

And while there will be significant concerns about the dilution of talent in coming seasons the reality is the league cannot continue holding out sides like Hawthorn, who have battled for years to gain entry to the AFLW.

That's not a repercussion.
The repercussion is that the salty Freo supporter looks about as foolish as the Brisbane supporters on here a few months ago talking about Jess Wuetschner.

Prespakis had offers from clubs all over the country that knew she wanted to leave Carlton. She accepted Essendon's offer, which wasn't even the most lucrative one. So there's something that actually does speak to her character.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
The repercussion is that the salty Freo supporter looks about as foolish as the Brisbane supporters on here a few months ago talking about Jess Wuetschner.

Prespakis had offers from clubs all over the country that knew she wanted to leave Carlton. She accepted Essendon's offer, which wasn't even the most lucrative one. So there's something that actually does speak to her character.
What did the Brisbane supporters say?

How is that refuted with facts when you said that Fremantle pursued Prespakis?
A lot of clubs pursued Prespakis, including Fremantle (who later pursued Jamie Stanton--another player that cowards love to talk s**t about). But she turned them all down (except Essendon). That's a fact. And you can't figure out how it refutes your false claim that a lot of list managers wouldn't go anywhere near Prespakis?

Oh well. I'm used to ignorant posters coming on here and doubting things which I know are 100% true. Reminds me of the Brisbane supporters a few months ago talking about Jess Wuetschner.

footyknut

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
A lot of clubs pursued Prespakis, including Fremantle (who later pursued Jamie Stanton--another player that cowards love to talk s**t about). But she turned them all down (except Essendon). That's a fact. And you can't figure out how it refutes your false claim that a lot of list managers wouldn't go anywhere near Prespakis?

Oh well. I'm used to ignorant posters coming on here and doubting things which I know are 100% true. Reminds me of the Brisbane supporters a few months ago talking about Jess Wuetschner.
If you can provide any facts at all that Fremantle pursued Prespakis then I will bow down to you and never question you ever again.
You are either making this up, or one of us has been told a blatant lie and I’m very comfortable with my sources.

Seems an oversight by a few Vic clubs in need, new and existing, to let McGrath go to SA. Makes Emma King look in a hurry, but she still gets a lot of the ball for a ruck, considering the number of big girls that touch it about 4 times a game (been averaging something like 13-14 possessions, in addition to around 25 hitouts, for the last two VFLW seasons).

If you can provide any facts at all that Fremantle pursued Prespakis then I will bow down to you and never question you ever again.
You are either making this up, or one of us has been told a blatant lie and I’m very comfortable with my sources.
The word you're after is proof. Demand from others but don't concern yourself with it while making the far more extraordinary claim (a lot of clubs wouldn't express interest in a league B&F = an insanely dumb lie). Rather revealing.

I won't be posting phone records and email exchanges to satisfy footyknut. Nor do I need to when logic supports the truth: "Wanted Prespakis. Would've settled for Stanton. Ended up getting Gore." Deal with it.

footyknut

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seems an oversight by a few Vic clubs in need, new and existing, to let McGrath go to SA. Makes Emma King look in a hurry, but she still gets a lot of the ball for a ruck, considering the number of big girls that touch it about 4 times a game (been averaging something like 13-14 possessions, in addition to around 25 hitouts, for the last two VFLW seasons).

The word you're after is proof. Demand from others but don't concern yourself with it while making the far more extraordinary claim (a lot of clubs wouldn't express interest in a league B&F = an insanely dumb lie). Rather revealing.

I won't be posting phone records and email exchanges to satisfy footyknut. Nor do I need to when logic supports the truth: "Wanted Prespakis. Would've settled for Stanton. Ended up getting Gore." Deal with it.
Logic may support your truth but it is still a blatant lie.
I’m not sure on the Stanton one so can’t comment either way except to say I would be disappointed if they did go after someone like that, much happier with Gore.
I am, however, extremely confident that Freo had no interest in Prespakis.
I wouldn’t expect you to post any records on here, but if you can DM them to me I will organise a $1000 donation to the charity of your choice and a written apology on here.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
GC have one or two stars and no reports have suggested they are leaving. Nor the next best few.

The departing Yorston has potential equal to that of the incoming Jones. And it sounds like Perkins can be replaced with a better player in Wuetschner, if desired.

Considering the necessary contract upgrades to Rowbottom and Bohanna, it seems very petty to complain about two solid (not "star") 30-year-olds heading to Port, particularly the one who came to the Suns via SA.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
GC have one or two stars and no reports have suggested they are leaving. Nor the next best few.

The departing Yorston has potential equal to that of the incoming Jones. And it sounds like Perkins can be replaced with a better player in Wuetschner, if desired.

Considering the necessary contract upgrades to Rowbottom and Bohanna, it seems very petty to complain about two solid (not "star") 30-year-olds heading to Port, particularly the one who came to the Suns via SA.
The thing is we get nothing for them. That is what im mad about

If what you get in return does effectively turn out to be nothing, your issue is with the non-national draft, which is something that can/will be changed eventually.

But, even in the meantime, a limit on player movement is completely impractical.

Stuck behind paywall what does it say
Yorston, Surman, Perry and Hammond (the last two have been delisted) set to join Dunn at Port. Heslop possibly to Brisbane.

Wardlaw likely staying at Brisbane despite interest from NM (not mentioned whether that's related to Randall weighing up offers from expansion clubs).

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide

In a roundabout way, you did get something. Or rather, you lost less than other clubs when picks were taken away.

The AFL is acutely aware that expansion clubs generally struggle, even if they are able to pinch a few established players from other clubs. They have therefore reduced all established clubs' access to this year's draft.

Edit: Oh, and in this case they were actually traded, so you get something in return (picks 34 and 81). Whether that return is sufficient is another question, but as TW points out, two of them had already been delisted.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
283492906_981815212504539_7608124011836619613_n.png

287083337_2921451531488351_2485255664024508977_n.png

279318035_397987685598210_10958658813579167_n.png

285529793_2126359797520526_6196344664634337432_n.png

She's here guys.

Where's the Hawthorn photo. The others are obviously at their grounds

Also - Why isn't Essendon wearing AFLw attire.
And surely they cant use the excuse of Cotton On, as the other 3 have Cotton On attire.

Also - Why isn't Essendon wearing AFLw attire.
And surely they cant use the excuse of Cotton On, as the other 3 have Cotton On attire.
I don't know, so this is speculation, but the jumpers the Essendon team are wearing are 2021 VFLW dreamtime guernseys with the old sponsor logos covered up with strapping tape.

That sponsor is on the front of our AFL, VFL, and VFLW home jumpers but has chosen not to sponsor the AFLW team and the replacement sponsor (Toyota Forklifts) was only announced in March, so I think that might have delayed the new jumpers from cotton on given the lead-time on new designs and with the start date brought forward as well.

It looks like our jumpers are going to be a bit different from everyone else's even if it's from cotton on too... based on some mock-ups and photoshop versions the club has used, so that may also contribute to a delay.

This looks like a UA jumper (no shoulder panels, piped collar and cuffs) with photoshopped AFLW, EFC 150, Toyota Forklifts and Cotton On logos:
Bonnie-Toogood.jpg

Bonnie Toogood signing was announced in mid-April, but was known in some circles at least three weeks earlier so this photo could have been taken and edited anytime around then. So we evidently didn't have even a mock-up for her to wear in the photo at that point.

Variations on a theme with more UA jumpers, home and away sponsors, and Prespakis' jumper lacking a manufacturer altogether:
IMG_4957.jpg

More mocked up UA jumpers, but cotton on is now on the shoulder, with Telstra in the manufacturer spot. So the design has changed between the above images and this one, meaning another re-design at Cotton On HQ:
IMG_4958.JPG

And finally a cotton on jumper (100% red cuffs and collar, black shoulder panels) with the cotton on logo on the shoulder and telstra in the middle as above, while the EFC 150 is on the hip, unlike the earlier mock ups:
IMG_4959.JPG

That last one was taken last weekend at the 150th anniversary dinner. I think it's a mock up as it's the only one they presented, the rest of the women standing on stage (there were about 12) didn't get presented with a guernsey – but I'm sure they would've if they could, and then of course they weren't wearing them on Monday at training either so I think they just don't exist in a full set.

As for why they used the 2021 VFLW dreamtime guernseys instead - I think it was the easiest option in terms of the sponsors. The wrong one is small on the front and easier to cover than the big back logo, and the other co-major sponsor isn't getting real estate that someone else paid for and didn't get to use as with some of the other designs.

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
It could be something as simple as the Bombers not having their new training gear yet. North looked like they were wearing their season 6 training tops in the training picture I saw on twitter and the Cats looked like they were training in their pride round guernseys. It definitely wouldn't be the first time clubs had to start preseason without their new gear.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Montana Ham... expected to be the Victorian number one pick, has nominated for the NSW pool!

This means she's a lock to be a Sydney Swan.

Just like Charlie Rowbottom, who last year should have been the Victorian number one pick, but nominated for QLD and was taken by the Suns.

Anyone else sense some behind the scenes AFL assistance?

Montana Ham... expected to be the Victorian number one pick, has nominated for the NSW pool!

This means she's a lock to be a Sydney Swan.

Just like Charlie Rowbottom, who last year should have been the Victorian number one pick, but nominated for QLD and was taken by the Suns.

Anyone else sense some behind the scenes AFL assistance?
Doesn't sound like the Swans need behind-the-scenes assistance, if we're talking about putting forth attractive offers to quality players.

But the out-in-the-open assistance is... out in the open, as it was when the AFL made special rules to ensure GC would draft both Rowbottom and Levi (who was being tempted by Brisbane to nominate for all of QLD). Clearly the same thing--priority picks and limitations on what picks can be traded--has happened again to help the Swans.

And why not, especially while finals-calibre teams benefit from other AFL draft peculiarities (Brisbane allowed to sign Courtney Hodder, NM exclusive access to Tasmania etc.).

Back