AFLW Official - Bombers, Hawks, Power, Swans all to enter AFLW from 2022-23 onwards.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.
The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

The four teams put in detailed submissions which were assessed by the AFL Commission at its two-day meeting last week.

And while there will be significant concerns about the dilution of talent in coming seasons the reality is the league cannot continue holding out sides like Hawthorn, who have battled for years to gain entry to the AFLW.

FoopyNerd

Debutant
Jan 23, 2022
AFL Club
Sydney
Brisbane allowed to sign Courtney Hodder
Out of interest what was the deal with the Hodder signing? I never knew where she came from and then came across her playing for WA in 2017 so I got confused about whether it was the same person or not.

Out of interest what was the deal with the Hodder signing? I never knew where she came from and then came across her playing for WA in 2017 so I got confused about whether it was the same person or not.
I have answered that below, but also drifted into another point I wanted to make about today's news:

Only one Courtney Hodder, no doubt about it. 3-time u18 All-Australian for WA by age 17, stopped footy for a little while to move to Queensland and play rugby. Given special permission to sign for the Lions in late 2020 as a rookie, even though she didn't meet the requirements (had played WAFLW too recently).

If the AFL hadn't allowed it, one of two things would've happened: 1) she would've had to nominate for the entire QLD draft, and the Suns would've taken her; or 2) she would've just not returned to football at that time (most likely outcome).

Although the AFL helped Brisbane out on that occasion, they clearly acted against the Lions' interests the following year by essentially shutting them out of the first 2 QLD draft picks. Teagan Levi was therefore assured of being drafted by the Suns, even though she may have preferred to be drafted by Brisbane (was definitely considering it until losing the option). The fact Levi has since chosen to 100% prioritise rugby sevens could arguably speak volumes, and it possibly served as a lesson for the AFL about giving draft assistance that strongarms players.

It was notable that the AFL gave Hawthorn the 1st and 3rd pick in the Vic draft this year, despite knowing Jasmine Fleming (widely perceived as the second-best u18 prospect in the state behind Montana Ham) would likely prefer to be drafted by the Hawks. Now that we know Ham has been lured by Sydney (which the AFL would've been aware of for a while) those pick allocations, at least for the moment, would indicate a lesson about granting priority picks that cooperate with the desires of top talent has been (re-)learned.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I have answered that below, but also drifted into another point I wanted to make about today's news:

Only one Courtney Hodder, no doubt about it. 3-time u18 All-Australian for WA by age 17, stopped footy for a little while to move to Queensland and play rugby. Given special permission to sign for the Lions in late 2020 as a rookie, even though she didn't meet the requirements (had played WAFLW too recently).

If the AFL hadn't allowed it, one of two things would've happened: 1) she would've had to nominate for the entire QLD draft, and the Suns would've taken her; or 2) she would've just not returned to football at that time (most likely outcome).

Although the AFL helped Brisbane out on that occasion, they clearly acted against the Lions' interests the following year by essentially shutting them out of the first 2 QLD draft picks. Teagan Levi was therefore assured of being drafted by the Suns, even though she may have preferred to be drafted by Brisbane (was definitely considering it until losing the option). The fact Levi has since chosen to 100% prioritise rugby sevens could arguably speak volumes, and it possibly served as a lesson for the AFL about giving draft assistance that strongarms players.

It was notable that the AFL gave Hawthorn the 1st and 3rd pick in the Vic draft this year, despite knowing Jasmine Fleming (widely perceived as the second-best u18 prospect in the state behind Montana Ham) would likely prefer to be drafted by the Hawks. Now that we know Ham has been lured by Sydney (which the AFL would've been aware of for a while) those pick allocations, at least for the moment, would indicate a lesson about granting priority picks that cooperate with the desires of top talent has been (re-)learned.
Teagan Levi was a Suns Academy product though

Teagan Levi was a Suns Academy product though
Which means she was able to nominate for the Suns draft zone. But she could have nominated for all of QLD instead, and that's what Brisbane were trying to get her to do.

That is something she even alluded to in this interview:
"Just because I've got a connection to the Suns doesn't mean other clubs haven't tried to speak to me,"

In the event of Rowbottom and Levi both nominating for all of QLD, one would have been drafted by the Suns, the other by the Lions... until the AFL stepped in, gave priority picks and made the top 5 picks untradeable, ensuring the Suns would get both players.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I disagree with it
Disagree with what?

It wasn’t an opinion.

It was most probably what happened.

Brisbane was talking to Levi.

Levi was considering nominating for the Queensland zone, rather than the Suns zone.

Brisbane had the second pick.

The AFL stepped in and guaranteed the Suns the first two picks in QLD, thus removing any chance of Levi making it to Brisbane.

Disagree with an opinion, sure. This isn’t an opinion.

I just don’t see or understand what there is to disagree with here.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Montana Ham... expected to be the Victorian number one pick, has nominated for the NSW pool!

This means she's a lock to be a Sydney Swan.

Just like Charlie Rowbottom, who last year should have been the Victorian number one pick, but nominated for QLD and was taken by the Suns.

Anyone else sense some behind the scenes AFL assistance?
Only judging by limited highlights, but Ham really does look a class above everyone else in that draft.

Back