News Official Carlton Delistings 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

It's an interesting one, PHQ.

Watson I feel is a case of poor development and a player with serious limitations.

He was drafted as a CHB. He has the build for the position, but not the agility to play on modern forwards. He never got a good, consistent run at things and often only played when 1st choice KPD were injured, effectively throwing him to the wolves as key defender. His confidence I believe was shot early due to poor development.

Having said that I think he lacked game sense to make it as a backman. And I was not overly impressed with his one on one body positioning, so he wasn't even suited to play on the 'gorillas'.

About 18 months ago, we decided to trial him as a forward. He has played most of that time in the VFL, where he is a consistent but not dominant goal kicker. From reports, he has given his new position his all and has not dropped his head at training. I think the 'I could have got more out of myself' comment was PR - it sounds better than 'I just wasn't good enough'.

The rare times he has played up forward in the AFL, he has looked half decent although I don't think he is a natural forward. I think he spends much of the time watching the play. And it's not out of laziness, perhaps he doesn't know where to lead. I think he has to be fed the ball to be involved in the play.

He will never be a high output player. I think you get 10-12 touches a game. But he could kick a few goals from that. The one-trick forwards are not popular in modern footy.

He has a lovely, accurate (genuinely) 60m kick on him. So you just need to maximise that with players that deliver it onto his chest (he is a neat, but not brilliant mark).

Overall he has some tools, but I think is ultimately probably too limited to be successful at AFL. he is very one dimensional but I guess could flourish in the right team that can have accurate delivery, well drilled players that can bring him into the game and successful key forwards to the the pressure off him. Sounds that sounds nothing like hawthorn.... ;)
Thanks for the input mate. I thought he might have a shining light there somewhere... I do hope he gets a second chance if it's not at the Hawks! It looks a classic case of "Shoenmakers"! Yes it has a name now...
My thoughts exactly - 10-12 touches & 2-3 goals a game, 30 for the year, is a great retern on a 1 year rookie contract if it works.
I might have to get in the Fitzpatrick band wagon... Argh... Fingers crossed :)

Last edited:
Watson

Limitations
- Really short reach
- Doesn't play as tall as he is
- Not much of a leap
- Lacks a bit of pace and agility
- Probably not overly flexible as a defender in terms of matchups

Strengths
- Kicking is fairly accurate and long
- isn't a bad mark
- Is fairly strong

Recruited as a defender and never really excelled in the role though he never really failed badly he wasn't really given an extended run either. Doesn't look like a classic tall defender due to lack of athleticism and the mentioned limitations. Same story as a forward, did ok in a poor VFL side as a forward, kicked a few goals as a forward in the AFL but a poor AFL side and lack of an extended run in the role we didn't really see how he'd go at the level. Could be worth a punt for a side looking for a tall forward and willing to give him a run at it.

Do any of you guys honestly think from our delistings any of the boys will get an opportunity elsewhere? You'd think Holman should be a good chance?:).

Watson

Limitations
- Really short reach
- Not much of a leap

Strengths
- isn't a bad mark
- Is fairly strong

Recruited as a defender and never really excelled in the role though he never really failed badly he wasn't really given an extended run either. Doesn't look like a classic tall defender due to lack of athleticism and the mentioned limitations. Same story as a forward, did ok in a poor VFL side as a forward, kicked a few goals as a forward in the AFL but a poor AFL side and lack of an extended run in the role we didn't really see how he'd go at the level. Could be worth a punt for a side looking for a tall forward and willing to give him a run at it.
Cheers gbatman. His reach probably looks short when he reaching above that massive head eh ;)
I would only see him at the Hawks as a spoon fed FF that can take a contested mark. I recon if he was running cones & sprints all summer & dropped a few kgs he would go alright. Being in the Hawks pinpoint inside 50m structure looks the best option for him to get a look in. We do have a FF position at box hill that needs some depth as well

There are positives to Watson's game... But the reality is he's a KP who has been delisted from a club that is absolutely desperate for KPs. Think about it - we are looking at Jammo, Rowe, Cas and an 18yo kid as our spine next year with only Jones in the reserves. If that isn't a clear indication of his ability, I don't know what is.

Cheers gbatman. His reach probably looks short when he reaching above that massive head eh ;)
I would only see him at the Hawks as a spoon fed FF that can take a contested mark. I recon if he was running cones & sprints all summer & dropped a few kgs he would go alright. Being in the Hawks pinpoint inside 50m structure looks the best option for him to get a look in. We do have a FF position at box hill that needs some depth as well
Should of traded for Carlisle.

Departures of Hale, Lake and Grimley seem to have left the premiership faithful rattled as far as key position depth.

If Watson were competing with Jack Fitzpatrick for a spot in the 22 then maybe there's a case with delivery from a quality midfield.

Would need to slim down and train the house down. In 'combine' nomenclature, work on his 3km time trial, repeat sprints, shuttle runs and agility testing.

Departures of Hale, Lake and Grimley seem to have left the premiership faithful rattled as far as key position depth.

If Watson were competing with Jack Fitzpatrick for a spot in the 22 then maybe there's a case with delivery from a quality midfield.

Would need to slim down and train the house down. In 'combine' nomenclature, work on his 3km time trial, repeat sprints, shuttle runs and agility testing.
My training thoughts exactly.
We still have Tim Obrien, who should kick on this year, & big Shem Tatapu as a speculative development that had some good signs at box hill/BH reserves but I doubt they Hawks will get a key forward in the next two drarfts so another depth player will be required at some point. Fitzy might fill the forward void but there is already talk of him training in defence/ruck. Rookie list for Watson pls :)

Watson

Limitations
- Really short reach
- Not much of a leap

Strengths
- isn't a bad mark
- Is fairly strong

tl;dr
Limitations
- played for Carlton

Strengths
- no longer plays for Carlton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really sure why you've brought that up, TBH.

Are you interested in a Liam swap?
Shiels was mentioned in the previous page as a solid role player, which I guess he has been, but he is much more than that... So there it is :) If Holman has a second chance, as compared to Shiels "role" he will have a 2-4 year apprenticeship to be around the mark. Good luck to the young fella

Geefle.jpg

Anyone know where Matthew Watson intends to pull on the boots in 2016, why we are at it any of our delisted guys?

Anyone know where Matthew Watson intends to pull on the boots in 2016, why we are at it any of our delisted guys?

Someone (Wookie maybe) put together a list of our delisted players from the last decade and where they are now. It was impressive and disturbing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back