Official Channel 9 complaints thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon everyone has become a bunch of whingers.

Some guy was whining about ch 9 not having HD.

Channel 9's broadcast is top notch IMO.
I may be greatly mistaken, but aren't you "whinging about the "whingers"? Can we all say "hypocritical"? And yes, it is your opinion, which you're allowed to have. But are those who disagree allowed to have one, or are you the only one allowed one?

I know I'm allowed to have one, so have you seen cricket in HD and then switched immediately to the same cricket in standard definition (or golf, which is on right now on both 9 and Fox Sports HD at the same time)? The difference is significant and immediately noticeable and both are FAR FAR inferior in standard definition on 9.

This is the 21st century. They have an HD channel. How hard would it be for them to show it on both 9 (where they have to, legally, apparently) and also on their HD channel, GEM for those who want to see it in the significantly better HD (which would be the great, great majority, once they see the difference)? That's what I want to know. If you have a problem with me wanting to know that, I hope you'll be OK.

This is how improvements get made in life. Someone says "this isn't good enough" and puts forward better suggestions and if they're right eventually things hopefully snowball and the improvements get implemented. Otherwise we'd still probably be back in the dark ages.

I'm really surprised take up of digital radio by manufactorers hasn't been much bigger. You would think digital radio woul come standard in cars, home stereos, phones and the like. I suppose it's supply and demand, as soon as more people buy them the cheaper they would get. But most people won't buy them until they're cheaper.

But I still don't fully understand why they are so expensive, the technology isn't that advanced in them, you can buy a 3G iPod for around the same price, and there's a heap more technology in that
I've also been surprised that they haven't been more widely implemented. It seems pretty incredible that they would use inferior analogue when digital is so much better, especially in the high-end brands.
I just heard an ad on the radio saying that "a million people will tell you that digital radio is a million times better". Does that imply that they've sold a million of them here in Aus, or would that be worldwide?
Most of the ones available are pretty small and don't have a high volume/power (our one, which cost $150, a year or two ago, has a pretty timid top volume) so I'm really looking forward to seeing some bigger stereo systems with them, as that would be brilliant.

As for what's good about them, my favourite function (and something I love on my Foxtel IQ as well, on the TV) is being able to pause and rewind live radio (or TV, with the IQ). I use that so often, whether it be to hear a song I love again, or to hear a weather report you just missed, or to replay a wicket, or great shot, or goal, on the TV. Just brilliant. :) :thumbsu:

Healy was horrible today. Trashing Cowan today whilst fellating Warner at every opportunity about scoring rates. He also seemed pretty disappointed that Haddin was treating his innings like a test match innings and not randomly throwing the bat, supposedly his 'natural game'.

Due to the arborial features surrounding our house, the signal for televised coverage is diminished. ABC Grandstand is the medium by which I get my cricket fix. Some think that O'Keefe is a dolt. Maybe, but his insight into the game is excellent, much like all the commentators on there. Was at the sister-in-law's house yesterday watching the cricket and the contrast between the 2 teams could not be more stark. Slater and Healy are tools. their partisan attitude means that the feats of the opposition are glossed over, not celebrated.

Credit for them for contining the last hour of play on GEM - it wasn't hard was it? Now can you do it all summer?

I have a digital radio, TV is on Ch 9 with the sound down, digital radio is on ABC Grandstand. Sync-wise - the radio is slightly (perhaps half a second) behind the TV, which isn't too bad.

I don't mind the old bunch at Ch 9, but I can't stand Healy and Slater, they just annoy me and ruin it.

Digital radio is good for the T20 Big Bash games too. Find a stream for the pictures, and then listen to the radio for the commentary.

Isn't Ch 9 in HD? I am watching it on sky, they are using ch 9 feed which is HD. The Start Cricket in India also has two channels one in HD other SD.

Isn't Ch 9 in HD? I am watching it on sky, they are using ch 9 feed which is HD. The Start Cricket in India also has two channels one in HD other SD.

No. The network has 3 channels, 2 x SD (576i) and 1 x HD (1080i). The cricket is showing on one of the main SD channels, the HD channel line-up for today includes re-runs of Friends, The Golden Girls, Murder She Wrote and a Lassie movie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something I don't like about the coverage, it may only be a little thing to some or nothing at all, is when they show highlights of a batsmen's innings. They just use close ups of the camera from the boundary at long on/off or mid-wicket. Should just leave the standard, over the umpire's head shot. You can appreciate the batsmen's shots better that way.

everything has to be fantastic.

Especially from Charlie Nicholas.

Over hyping a very talentless Australian Cricket team is hard work.

Wish they'd stop blowing smoke up Tendulkar's arse.

Yes he's a champion, everyone that follows cricket knows that...especially given this is his fifth Test tour of Australia.

I can imagine. It was an overdose of Tendulkar for me and I am an Indian, can feel for you Aussies lol

I may be the odd person here but I am starting to like Tubby :D he went OTT with the sodoku thing or whatever that ball is.

Don't like the Channel 9 team/production. I loathe the constant product and promotion integration into their commentary and banter. I hate how it's a boy's club and a lucrative gig for ex-test players regardless of their commentary skills. The ABC has them on toast for everything except vision.

And Tony Greig's constant stream of manufactured limited edition memorabilia just reaffirms what a grubby, closed-shop superannuation style gig this is.

Each summer there are more tricks, graphics, techno-gimmicks but rather than paper over the general crapiness, it just highlights it even further.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back