• Coonawarra

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • Kangaroo Island

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I have attempted to answer your first question, but that was not good enough for you, I tried again yet you still felt the need to have a dig,
Now you have another dig. Why.

I will try again The World Association of Wine Writers and Journalists are a legit organisation, noted worldwide.
They are one of the few organisations that develop a wine ranking system base on competitions from around the world, they have a strict set of rules,
There are not too many places you can get this information in one place,

2 mins on google, with “are wine competitions important” clearly shows a pretty poor reflection of them, let alone backyard hacks with a spreadsheet in a rankings system no one has heard of

This was interesting from one of the judges of the 2 biggest wine comps in the world

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...wards-why-medals-dont-mean-great-bottles.html

Doesn't that mean that a best in show should be worth a lot more than what it is then, since only one wine can be awarded as the best while multiple wines can be voted as gold medalists?

Yes.

But you have to place a lot of reliance on wine judges tasting hundreds of wines in a day and being able to then rank them in order

A best in show will be very good but its all too subjective to think that it will actually be the best wine at the show.

To use a footy analogy: get five people to watch 200 players kick for goal and ask them to choose who has the best technique. (A: Tex)

It’s very clear they are not a legit organisation FFS

That much is clear to even me

This is a spreadsheet exercise from a marketing company trying to sell fake rankings for marketing purposes

The information isn’t even real. As I pointed out cheap industrial swill made up one of their top 5 categories.

It doesn’t matter, but gee whiz...

You have just proven your complete lack of Knowledge.
That cheap Industrial Swill as you call it won a Gold medal in the Vinalies Internationales event Paris. Won an award in China premier event, another award in Sydney, Awards in the Boston Show. just to name a few.
But yea its cheap industrial swill.

Also, you highlight your total late of reading when you comment about them only having a top 5 categories have a closer look. you may be surprised.

Even the Australia government comment about it, but it must be fake, that why no reporter has rubbished the stories
By the way, have you ever read the Orchard & Vine Magazine been around since 1959,
Washington Post had a good story but based on US winning wines.
Have a closer look on google as that seems your only way of getting information. translate the pages because its not English. Lot of articles in Italian, French, Argentina, etc.
Even the President of WAWWJ is a highly respected winetaster Leonardo Castellani who travels the world tasting wines

Cannot you actually see it for what it is a database that gathers the information from around the world from the top events, add weight to each event and ranks them? so that jurno;s around the world can use the data to write their stories. and Wineries can use the ranking to sell their wines.

Whilst awards are great recognition, finding what you personally like with regard to your palette is all that really matters.

My preference is a powerful full body shiraz, but the best wine I have ever tasted was a 1974 yalumba signature... cabernet which melts in your mouth... Thanks to a fellow poster who shared it with me less than a decade ago.

So whilst you find your favourite wineries & wines, keep trying new wines... & if you find a cracker, post in here please :)

the old full-bodied Shiraz is what got me started on wines, but when I went to Europe I was surprised by how much the French turned their noses up at them.

to be quite honest though I think they have a pretty good point, their wine like their food is delicate and magnificent - although I haven't been able to find anything of theirs here for a reasonable price that can even replicate a 5 euro bottle of the right stuff over there.

Yes.

But you have to place a lot of reliance on wine judges tasting hundreds of wines in a day and being able to then rank them in order

A best in show will be very good but its all too subjective to think that it will actually be the best wine at the show.

To use a footy analogy: get five people to watch 200 players kick for goal and ask them to choose who has the best technique. (A: TEX)

Method might be great but turns out vinegar too often of late.

You have just proven your complete lack of Knowledge.
That cheap Industrial Swill as you call it won a Gold medal in the Vinalies Internationales event Paris. Won an award in China premier event, another award in Sydney, Awards in the Boston Show. just to name a few.
But yea its cheap industrial swill.

Sorry? Which cheap industrial swill are YOU referring to?

I’m talking about $10-15 mass produced plonk from New Zealand?

Sorry? Which cheap industrial swill are YOU referring to?

I’m talking about $10-15 mass produced plonk from New Zealand?

Considering I started the post Talking about Barossa wines and one from a neighbouring district, called Taylor wines where I comment about the awards, You pop up with your attempts to discredit, Now you are talking about a New Zealand wine which nobody in the right mind would buy if they lived in South Australia.
Also and the BIGGEST reason I don't believe you. There is no New Zealand wines listed in the top 150, the first New Zealand wine is rated at 151 and that is a dessert wine. The Ned Noble Sauvignon Blanc 2015 generally "The Ned Noble Sauvignon Blanc" is a $10 - $15 dollar wine. but not 2015 bottle.
By the way the best rate New Zealand winery is Pernod Ricard New Zealand rated at 34.

Also check out Taylors Merlot, ( not my prefered wine) but that a $15 drop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone tried Paracombe winery? Good/bad/indifferent
Paracombe have great reds. Particularly like the reuben.

They don't have a cellar door, but can taste them & other local wineries at Glen Ewin Estate.

Found a good app....vivino
Lets you take a photo of a label then brings up details about the wine, you can add to your cellar, wishlist etc

Considering I started the post Talking about Barossa wines and one from a neighbouring district, called Taylor wines where I comment about the awards, You pop up with your attempts to discredit, Now you are talking about a New Zealand wine which nobody in the right mind would buy if they lived in South Australia.
Also and the BIGGEST reason I don't believe you. There is no New Zealand wines listed in the top 150, the first New Zealand wine is rated at 151 and that is a dessert wine. The Ned Noble Sauvignon Blanc 2015 generally "The Ned Noble Sauvignon Blanc" is a $10 - $15 dollar wine. but not 2015 bottle.
By the way the best rate New Zealand winery is Pernod Ricard New Zealand rated at 34.

I live in SA and I buy NZ wines! In particular Gibbston Valley Pinot Noir and Church Road Grand Reserve Chardonnay (personally, I missed the Sav Blanc boat - couldn't understand what all the fuss was about).

I hadn't heard of the World Ranking System either - does it take into account Wineries and wines that aren't put into competitions?
E.g. Wendouree, Clarendon Hills, Mount Mary, Yarra Yering, Torbreck, Jasper Hill, Rockford etc.?

I live in SA and I buy NZ wines! In particular Gibbston Valley Pinot Noir and Church Road Grand Reserve Chardonnay (personally, I missed the Sav Blanc boat - couldn't understand what all the fuss was about).

I hadn't heard of the World Ranking System either - does it take into account Wineries and wines that aren't put into competitions?
E.g. Wendouree, Clarendon Hills, Mount Mary, Yarra Yering, Torbreck, Jasper Hill, Rockford etc.?

Doubt it, as it uses the competition points to rank the wines. Mainly used for Jurno's and wine Makers to write articles and push their wines. Government and councils like it to push there regions for tourist as well.
Personally, I try first and then I buy, and Living in the middle of a wine region and within 30km of another noted region, there is a lot of Choices so I tend to ensure I visit a couple of wineries that have award-winning wines plus the smaller unknown ones.

I will do at least 2 wine tours a year in the Barossa and 2 in the Clare Valley, and buy a bucket load of wine from the cellar door. And I never mix a red day with a white day. I take a lot of water and drink it in-between.
If you do a wine tour always make sure you check the eating places and map your trips so Lunch and Dinner are close to good eating spots.
if you plan well you can get a free taste with a meal. or only pay corking fees.

Writing about wine is the biggest load of bollocks there must be.
Mind you a good job if you can land it.

Tasting wine is more important & understanding what you like.

I see it’s not just your own posts you don’t read

Maybe you just choose not to read what people actually post because you don’t expect to understand

I don’t know much but even I know the world ranking system isn’t a real thing

Back