Mega Thread Official Draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lower had an injury interrupted pre-season and took until about Rnd 6-7 IIRC until he was fit enough to be selected but then the weeks wore on an it became pretty evident he was out of favour.

Understand about the pre-season interuption. So from round 6-7, when he wasn't playing seniors, he was playing in the 2s all fit and healthy?

Understand about the pre-season interuption. So from round 6-7, when he wasn't playing seniors, he was playing in the 2s all fit and healthy?

More or less, he missed a couple games here and there but no serious injury concerns, mostly pre-cautionary I'd imagine. His WAFL stats if interested, he played 10 games for Perth this year. He played 1 game for Subi reserves when Perth had the bye.

http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4057

Yeah fair enough. Thought he played defence a fair whack too?

Would he really be on a salary worthy of him being delisted? Surely other reasons?

More or less, he missed a couple games here and there but no serious injury concerns, mostly pre-cautionary I'd imagine. His WAFL stats if interested, he played 10 games for Perth this year. He played 1 game for Subi reserves when Perth had the bye.

http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4057
I thought he had concussion issues?

I'm still expecting them to rookie him.

Just read that you guys will definitely be picking up a senior player at 57. Any idea who that might be, and would they really be much better than sam Iles? Lonergan, petterd, lower are decent ones off the top of my head

Hey guys, a number of you including myself were surprised you weren't picking up Andrew Boston. I did a bit of digging whilst doing my mock draft and I think I've discovered why.

So you only have access to 5 over the 3 years.
  • In 2010 you didn't use any.
  • In 2011 you on-traded Yagmoor and Zorko plus drafted Sexton and Allen.
  • In 2012 you drafted Cameron.
So you've actually used up your 5 already.

Tom Hickey, Joel Wilkinson & Rex Liddy were all Zone selections/local talent picks back in 2010. The 5 zone selections were per year but the suns have opted to use 1 only this year.

Tom Hickey, Joel Wilkinson & Rex Liddy were all Zone selections/local talent picks back in 2010. The 5 zone selections were per year but the suns have opted to use 1 only this year.
Thanks for that, but then why were they added without using a draft pick like Sexton, Allen and Cameron did?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lower missed the nomination deadline for the ND, so you would have to grab him in the PSD. With Clayton saying you are more likely to use 57 it would seem Lower isn't on the radar....as of yet

Maybe Lonergan then?

Would be against Dean Towers. He's an outside winger. I would assume we'd draft a mature ager that can be amongst the contest like Sam at #57.

Thanks for that, but then why were they added without using a draft pick like Sexton, Allen and Cameron did?
Good question.....maybe because in 2010 Suns were still in VFL but from 2011 officially in the AFL, but that's simply a guess!

Great to hear the club is looking to draft a mature aged player at #57 instead of a 3rd Rd kid. One more big body to provide instant impact is ideal for our list, especially if they still have 3yrs+ in their body.

Now the big question is will they take a strong bodied midfielder, which i'm hoping, or will they look at a versatile key position prospect that can be used down back or up fwd for depth with has been mentioned peridically over the trades period?

Hoping for someone like a Lonergan or possibly Valenti/Ross from the VFL could be offered a 2nd chance at the big time, although these guys whould have surely been invited to train before hand to check them out

EQ's little tibit on us.
With its list size starting to shrink, Gold Coast had some tough calls to make at the end of the season. The same will apply from here in, with the Suns dropping to 40 players in 2014 and 38 plus nine rookies the following year. They scored good deals for Caddy and Hickey, getting back into a strong position in the first round, and their one zone selection, defender Clay Cameron, is a talented one. What then to do with the first pick? There are a few options to consider. West Australian Josh Simpson is one of the quickest and classiest players in the draft and of definite appeal. The Suns could well do with an inside midfielder, particularly given Caddy's departure, with Nathan Hrovat arguably the standout stoppage player in the draft pool and Jesse Lonergan, a powerful, big-bodied Tasmanian, also in the mix. Cameron and Schade are works-in-progress down back, but defender Lachie Plowman would be tough to pass on should he somehow slide through, while Aidan Corr and Jackson Thurlow, at pick 57, are other defenders the Suns have put some work into.

I'm always slightly amused when I read words like

The Suns could well do with an inside midfielder, particularly given Caddy's departure

If you look at the games Josh played, he didn't do much inside work at all. His best work was as a linking conduit into our forward-line.

Josh got his RS nomination after a few consecutive games after playing on the inside, didn't he?

As the year progressed he moved further and further forward because of the shoulder injuries, but he's definitely an inside midfielder.

Oh yeah he can definitely play as an inside mid, no argument there - he has the frame for that already and was quite handy in there, but he hardly did the bulk of our inside work is what I'm trying to say, so he is not a massive loss in that respect. I think his greater value is as a mid who can also go forward and kick goals. His contested to uncontested stats ratio and clearance stats indicate that he's not going to be a huge loss for us in the trenches. Unless we have someone else to stand up as a goal-kicking mid that is where I think we will feel his absence. Prestia and Hunt both performed better than him playing inside despite featuring in less games. If Spitter's body can hold up better next year and Gaz can go forward more often, we'll come out ahead.

Simpson has bolted into top 10 contention, with Port Adelaide considering using its No.7 pick on him.

"If Port overlooks Simpson, Gold Coast is likely to swoop with its first pick at 13 to add him to its big complement of talented Sandgropers.

Simpson is a Fremantle supporter and said playing for the Dockers would be a dream result.

"If I could go there then I'd be loving life," he said."

"But I'm cool with it to go anywhere. I'd love to debut in Round 1, whoever I'm playing for."

http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/a...d:+TheCourierMailAfl+(The+Courier+Mail+|+AFL)

Media seems to agree we want him if he slides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back