News OFFICIAL: Gary Ablett traded to Geelong

How many games will Ablett play for Geelong in his second stint

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd have Jnr ahead of Williams and that's no blight on Diesel as a player - he was a superstar - but Ablett Jnr is more explosive and has the X factor Diesel didn't.

I was grateful enough to have seen all 3 live for their entire careers.

Ablett Snr is the best player I've ever seen and it's a comfortable opinion too.

Dangerfield If his foot skills were a little better may have entually reached Juniors level.
This x 100

The international rules series is pretty much Gaelic footy with two extra goal posts at each end and the ability to tackle.
Whats the scoring system in GF? How much for ball in the net? How much for an over the bar? and tackling... as long as you dont use one hand... honestly ,it so different to afl... it would suit players who are from different sports ..maybe a couple of soccer players ..but then it would only show how convoluted the link between this round ball thing and afl is.

You need to bring more than kicking goals to the forward line. I'm sure feeding GAJ the ball he could kick 40-50 goals no problems but he would basically be Menzel less the ability to take a contested mark. Definitely should be playing 80% + of his time in midfield with Danger who can actually do everything required to play as a forward spending more time forward instead. It will be an interesting ego battle if Ablett comes in and kills it and takes the edge off Dangers media love fest.

You’re kidding yourself if you think kicking 40-50 goals isn’t enough to justify playing Gaz forward.

Interestingly Gaj in the midfield means more goals, for one having a mid who can kick more effectively to a forwardline will help, and having a top 5 Clearance player will help us have more opportunity.

Had to wonder when he was asked if he regrets going up north 7 years ago and he replied that he thought he made the correct decision at the time that deep, deep down being the competitive beast he is that he doesn't think back at times and regret not staying. Could've played in another couple of premierships if he had.
Remember when we made the 11GF? GAJr flew straight to New York for a holiday, saying he couldn't bear to be in Australia, not being at Geelong + missing the GF :'(

If:
- Gary Ablett Sr was God;
- Gary Ablett Jr was Little Baby Jesus or Son of God;
- Dangerfield is The Messiah
What is GAJr's new nickname now he's returned to Geelong? The Second Coming?

You’re kidding yourself if you think kicking 40-50 goals isn’t enough to justify playing Gaz forward.
Dangerfield kicked 45 goals this year playing predominantly mid. There's no reason to suggest that Ablett can't do the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ablett could do the same. when he was in his twenties.
Ablett almost had a career best year statistically last season and is coming off a best and fairest, albeit at a lowly club, but it still shows he has plenty to offer. His age is irrelevant.

His old man kicked 122 goals in a season as a 33 year old.

Last edited:
Ablett almost had a career best year statistically last season and is coming off a best and fairest, albeit at a lowly club, but it still shows he has plenty to offer. His age is irrelevant.

His old man kicked 122 goals in a season as a 33 year old.
age is never irrevalent. ablett senior limped into each finals series after the age of 31 because of his age and he had played his last senior game at the age ablett junior will be come next years finals series.

i seriously think ablett junior could be a very good contributor and will very much help us with delivery into the forward line if we use him in a link up midfield role. But his acceleration and ability to extract himself from a contest is not near where it used to be and then there are those shoulders which have greatly reduced his marking ability. Still has stamina though which is very useful as a mid and enables him to still rack up big numbers.

age is never irrevalent.
It is when you're still playing good football and still among the star performers in the league. It's hard to dispute that.
ablett senior limped into each finals series after the age of 31 because of his age
Let's see;

92 - (almost 31) 72 goals - average of 4 in the finals playing on a half forward flank ... played 21 games
93 - (almost 32) 124 goals - missed finals.
94 - (almost 33) 129 goals - average of 4 goals in the finals with two 6 goal hauls ... played 25 games
95 - (almost 34) 122 goals - average of just under 3 goals in the finals with two 4 goal hauls. Blanketed by Silvagni in GF ... played 21 games.

It was the last 4 games of his career a year later where he was starting to decline.

Some might say he played his best football after the age of 31.

and he had played his last senior game at the age ablett junior will be come next years finals series.
Ablett snr was 3 weeks shy of being 35 when he played his last senior game. The same age his son will be when his current contract expires.

i seriously think ablett junior could be a very good contributor and will very much help us with delivery into the forward line if we use him in a link up midfield role. But his acceleration and ability to extract himself from a contest is not near where it used to be and then there are those shoulders which have greatly reduced his marking ability. Still has stamina though which is very useful as a mid and enables him to still rack up big numbers.

Ablett jnr still has what has made him a great player ... good vision, explosiveness, good game sense, elite disposal, agility, elite skill and power.

He's never been overly strong above his head. Well he's never relied on it put it that way.

age is never irrevalent. ablett senior limped into each finals series after the age of 31 because of his age and he had played his last senior game at the age ablett junior will be come next years finals series.

Averaged 7.6 clearances a game. More than dangerfield. Still elite in the contest. Can see scott running him into the ground as a midfielder. To be fair it is hard not to with his ability

Averaged 7.6 clearances a game. More than dangerfield. Still elite in the contest. Can see scott running him into the ground as a midfielder. To be fair it is hard not to with his ability

That was AFL's best numbers at clearances.
Scoring assists 10th.
So split time mid and forward imo.

Last edited:
It is when you're still playing good football and still among the star performers in the league. It's hard to dispute that.

Let's see;

92 - (almost 31) 72 goals - average of 4 in the finals playing on a half forward flank ... played 21 games
94 - (almost 33) 129 goals - average of 4 goals in the finals with two 6 goal hauls ... played 25 games
95 - (almost 34) 122 goals - average of just under 3 goals in the finals with two 4 goal hauls. Blanketed by Silvagni in GF ... played 21 games.

It was the last 4 games of his career a year later where he was starting to decline.

Ablett snr was 3 weeks shy of being 35 when he played his last senior game. The same age his son will be when his current contract expires.

Ablett jnr still has what has made him a great player ... good vision, explosiveness, good game sense, elite disposal, agility, elite skill and power.

He's never been overly strong above his head. Well he's never relied on it put it that way.

I agree entirely with his output and performances, as long as Ablett is on the park he will perform at an elite level. He is just so talented, that is not the question at hand.

What concern I have is his ability to remain fit and on the park, not questioning his ability to perform.

His old man didn’t ever lose his ability to perform when out there, his body just gave up on him.

The question I have is how long does his body have left to go at the elite level.

If we get 3 years out of him I think it will be a massive win, more realistically 2 you would say at most. Anything beyond will be brilliant management.

Hopefully we plan quite carefully how we manage and rest him, this will be a real test of our sports science and firnsss department to get the most games out of Ablett.

This is Tim Kelly thread...

The best 22 and Ablett disucssion is great but not in here...

Can we take it to the GAJ thread or best 22 thread pls...

I get how we got here - but it should probably move...

GO Catters

Let's see;

s**t I hope Hawk averages 3 or 4 snags in next years finals series. Goes a long long way to us reaching the end goal.

I think Daz moved the wrong post :D

I just moved all the OT posts in that thread.. mine included...

Its all here now..

btw ..stop yelling at me.. im just the cleaner. :cool:

GO Catters

Last edited:
Back