Debutant
Jun 22, 2003
SA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
SANFL
GRAHAM SECURES NFL JOB

Former Geelong AFL captain Ben Graham has officially secured an NFL starting punters job with the New York Jets.

He will now become the third Australian Punter currently in the NFL
joining Darren Bennett (Minnesota Vikings) and Matt McBriar (Dallas Cowboys).

Article from AAP follows

Jets cut punter Knorr, six others

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (Aug. 27, 2005) -- The New York Jets cut veteran punter Micah Knorr and gave the job to Australian Ben Graham.

Knorr did little to distinguish himself during training camp. In three games, he had seven punts for an average of 41.4 yards. Graham, who decided to give the NFL a try after 12 years in the Australian Football League, had 14 punts for an average of 43.4 yards.

It was clear the 6-foot-5 Graham had the stronger leg. But perhaps the biggest factor is the way he kicks across the ball -- causing it to go end-over-end and then spiral down at returners with a unique backspin. The Giants muffed two of his punts Aug. 26, and the Vikings muffed one last week.

Knorr spent the majority of the 2004 season with the Broncos before being released in December. In his six-year career, Knorr has averaged 41.4 yards a punt.

The Jets also cut running back DeCori Birmingham, tackles Ethan Brooks and Henry Tellis, wide receivers Eddie Jackson and Carl Kearney, and cornerback Art Thomas.

Brooks, a seven-year NFL veteran, has spent time with Atlanta, St. Louis, Arizona and most recently Baltimore.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Stuff him, we overpay him most of his career and when we need just abit of loyality he walks, stuff him i say, played his whole career and then walks when we needed him most, i don't wish him any luck at all myself

I wish the best of luck to him. Good to see he's making us proud.

della (and others), get over him leaving, it was an inevitable fact for years and Graham was never a superstar anyway. Playfair has filled his role fine this year.

Yeah for half his wage or less, graham was no superstar thats for sure, like many others couldn't get his act togather in the big gmanes but he costs us plenty and thats what hurts most, overpriced big time

Good luck to him.

I still can't help but wonder what might have been had he stuck with us.
The bad run of injuries midyear killed, especially with so many tall forwards out. I'm certain we would have won another 2 games during that period if we'd had Ben, which would have meant a legit chance of a top 4 spot.

della said:
Stuff him, we overpay him most of his career and when we need just abit of loyality he walks, stuff him i say, played his whole career and then walks when we needed him most, i don't wish him any luck at all myself

I will second that motion. I could not beleived that he walked away from a team that he allegely 'loved'.

I hope his first official match, he attempts his first punt and his legs flies off for a 60 yard punt.

Would that count in his average?

ScottyDeewah and I are moving to the states...so I guess we are Jets fans :) Well done Benny, if you had of left and not made it then it would have been crap, but you're in so GOOD LUCK

Scottydeewah wrote this one too, kind of have to wonder why i dont just log out and use my own login!

Good on him he beat out a bloke who has been punting for a long time, Ben has only played what 2 or 3 games EVER. Great effort.

At least now he is playing a sport where he can't get tackled. He'd like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i hope he snaps his leg also and quickly, if it was all about money why didn't he leave 10yrs ago and made 20 times the money he made at Geelong, nah he stayed at Geelong got paid a heap, never performed in the big games and u guys r happy for him, i would be happy if stayed a few more years and freed up some of our other forwards and try and win a flag

******** off benny i hope i never see u anywhere near geelong again

della said:
never performed in the big games and u guys r happy for him, i would be happy if stayed a few more years and freed up some of our other forwards and try and win a flag
So you say he never performed in big games and was paid too much, yet you still wish he was here. Strange.

thats right, more to free up the other like Kingsley an co, he still took a decnt size defender to match up on him, would of been good to have him and Otto together at once with Kingsley as the 3rd option.

Just calling it as i see it, u can't say he was worth the money we payed him or that he reached his full potential, please, really struggled in most big games unless it was against Richmond, just frustrated me cause i beleive he had talent and so many people wish they could be his size and kick like him still he never reached any great heights

agree to disagree maybe

della said:
thats right, more to free up the other like Kingsley an co, he still took a decnt size defender to match up on him, would of been good to have him and Otto together at once with Kingsley as the 3rd option.

agree to disagree maybe
Kingsley has been freed up how else could he kick more than 50 goals.

In a forward line of Ottens, Playfair, Kingsley and Nathan (S.Johnson maybe as well) i reckon Kingsley would still get the third defender.

Abett had Gaspar on Sunday.

yes but u play ya whole career at a club who has looked after you so well and just when it needs ya services most u walk out, i don't care how much money he earns i hope we win a flag in the next few years and then he can shove his american $ up his arse

della said:
yes but u play ya whole career at a club who has looked after you so well and just when it needs ya services most u walk out, i don't care how much money he earns i hope we win a flag in the next few years and then he can shove his american $ up his arse

Come on thats a bit much! I was furious when he left too but its been his dream and if he didn't do it now he may never had another chance.

Those who are hoping he breaks his leg are a ****ing disgrace. Seriously.

Sure, I was very disappointed when he left, but it's time to move on. I'm so pleased that he took a gamble and it paid off. I hope he makes squillions over there.

He showed more guts than those of you that are bagging him will altogether.

And let me guess...you're all still p*ssed off at Colby for walking out on us? Grow up.

benny's buddy said:
Those who are hoping he breaks his leg are a ****ing disgrace. Seriously.

Sure, I was very disappointed when he left, but it's time to move on. I'm so pleased that he took a gamble and it paid off. I hope he makes squillions over there.

He showed more guts than those of you that are bagging him will altogether.

And let me guess...you're all still p*ssed off at Colby for walking out on us? Grow up.
I had a go when he left as well, but thats done now i totally agree with you, what a great effort to be the No1 punter after only a couple of games is an awesome effort. Good luck to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back