Official: James Hird at Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
James Hird has joined the GIANTS as a leadership advisor.

Former Essendon Premiership captain and coach James Hird will make his return to football in a new role with the GIANTS.

The Australian Football Hall of Famer will join the club in a part-time capacity as a leadership consultant.

Having played 253 games for the Bombers, Hird won two Premierships, a Norm Smith Medal, five Best and Fairest awards, and was named in Essendon’s Team of the Century.

Hird was awarded the game’s highest individual honour, the Brownlow Medal, in 1996, as well as being named in five All-Australian teams.

Hird said he was looking forward to stepping back into the AFL industry.

“It probably came about through Matt de Boer actually, I had got to know him quite well through some work away from the club and he invited me to come down and have lunch with the players while the team were in Melbourne last year,” Hird said.

“Mark McVeigh then asked if I would come and speak to the group about playing football in Melbourne, my experiences in the AFL, and impart some of my life journey. For younger players it’s good to hear, but also for senior players.

“Getting to know Leon (Cameron), I’ve had a huge amount of respect for him over a very long period of time so getting the chance to work with him was something I was really looking forward to.

“It’s a part-time role, and very much around the leadership group but also around the emerging leaders and sharing my experiences in football and trying to get them to lead and encourage and work hard on that side of things.”

Hird spoke to GIANTS playing group during their time in the Melbourne last year after they relocated from NSW due to a COVID-19 outbreak.

He also travelled to NSW to spend time with the club’s new leadership group and emerging leaders when they travelled to the Central Coast for a pre-season planning session in December.

GIANTS General Manager of Football Jason McCartney said:

“An opportunity presented to work with James in a leadership consultancy role in 2022 and given how successful James has been in the game, we knew he would have a lot to offer our club.

“It’s fantastic to have someone of James’ calibre join our program and work with our leadership group and emerging leaders’ group.

“We welcome James’ insights from both his storied football career and his work in the business world.”

The GIANTS will kick off their 2022 season on March 19 when they take on the Sydney Swans at Accor Stadium.

Thoughts? Queries? Comments?

The big question: can he live up to Cooper Cronk's lofty standards as leadership consultant?

Ie at a critical time in the club's premiership window decide to put in a captain vote that had the effect of a hung jury thereby leading to Cogs cracking the sads and saying he did not want to share the captaincy. And then Phil and Cal being removed from their positions and the leadership group entirely (Phil since re-introduced).

Then a whole new leadership group being introduced with the likes of Whitfield ("I never considered myself a leader") and Jez Cameron (now departed) introduced.

And then Cogs admitting that the job was far more than he expected with Leon continually commenting that "Stephen's a young leader learning his craft" and then Cogs ultimately being dropped late in the season. And then the associated Prime Video documentary fallout.

Big shoes to fill Hirdy!

• Banned
The big question: can he live up to Cooper Cronk's lofty standards as leadership consultant?

Ie at a critical time in the club's premiership window decide to put in a captain vote that had the effect of a hung jury thereby leading to Cogs cracking the sads and saying he did not want to share the captaincy. And then Phil and Cal being removed from their positions and the leadership group entirely (Phil since re-introduced).

Then a whole new leadership group being introduced with the likes of Whitfield ("I never considered myself a leader") and Jez Cameron (now departed) introduced.

And then Cogs admitting that the job was far more than he expected with Leon continually commenting that "Stephen's a young leader learning his craft" and then Cogs ultimately being dropped late in the season. And then the associated Prime Video documentary fallout.

Big shoes to fill Hirdy!

When you put it that way….🤣🤣🤣🤣

Big shoes to fill Hirdy!
I think Campbell and Cameron oversaw the Davis, Coniglio tied vote debacle leading into 2019.
Cronk didn’t get a chance to mess things up until the end of 2019, by which time Coniglio was likely locked in as skipper as part of his new contract.

It would be amazing if Hird could help the leaders motivate consistent effort throughout the season. Ugly losses to the likes of Hawthorn, North and the Suns in recent years stand out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah.... not a fan of this I must admit
Oh don’t be so pessimistic.

It could just be the “shot in the arm” your boys need.
Don’t come on here and start needling Bombers supporters mate. Not nice.
Sorry man.

Just trying to inject a bit of humour.
Why don’t you try supplementing it with even more puns then?
Are you trying to needle me?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back