is it an official jersey?

l_d5323ca1626346e9add479e20d763b60.jpg

May 23, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SwansCrowsPortFreoGCGWS
Can you get a photo up of that yellow/gold jumper thanks Swampy?

I don't mind what they have above (same as logo) but will have to wear the gold jumper against Crows and Swans, Lions.

InCase

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Can you get a photo up of that yellow/gold jumper thanks Swampy?

I don't mind what they have above (same as logo) but will have to wear the gold jumper against Crows and Swans, Lions.

GCVSHARKS_NEWS-WIDE_-344PX_EE259113_3801.JPG

As for the clashes, you don't need to worry. These are the TAC guernseys. It will evolve over time, the VFL and AFL guernseys will be different to these. I am sure you will see 2-3 more guernseys before they enter the AFL.

May 23, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SwansCrowsPortFreoGCGWS
Thanks InCase for the pic.
Don't know if I can follow the custard tarts!
But then again - tarts - thats a good thing for the GC - surely.
(I have to get some of those Indy pics out of my head.) :D

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
Hmmm............"jersey"?
In AFL they're called a "guernesy," a "jumper" or a "strip". ;)
Will be intereted to see how different the actual home jumper is to the Crows, same colours apparently, which I still don't understand.

May 23, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SwansCrowsPortFreoGCGWS
Yeah funny that gtg, Last year I was infomed that the GC colours of red and yellow had no similarity to the Crows, presumably because the former has no navy blue- we shall see won't we!

Kind of highlights- why red and yellow?
The Crows away strip has less navy blue on it and therefore more red and gold by proportion. So what happens when Crows play at Carara? GC has to wear its all red or all yellow?

Melbourne wears all red socks. I know that some clashes are unavoidable, but with a startup team you can actually avoid such problems, not create a future problem with an existing team.

These two options could be it folks, as they've left themselves very little room to move.

May 23, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SwansCrowsPortFreoGCGWS
I'm not sure that the AFL honchos would allow that, otherwise why do they insist on this 'Áway Strip' syndrome they've foisted upon every team.

Sure its better to have a dark and light strip, but why does Geelong or Kangaroos have to change their home strip when they play Collingwood?

Your solution is correct, teams should be able to nominate their strip, whether it is dark or light for any match , dependent on the oppositions strip.

But I do believe they are bound by the AFLs H/A strip policy.

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not sure that the AFL honchos would allow that, otherwise why do they insist on this 'Áway Strip' syndrome they've foisted upon every team.

Sure its better to have a dark and light strip, but why does Geelong or Kangaroos have to change their home strip when they play Collingwood?

Your solution is correct, teams should be able to nominate their strip, whether it is dark or light for any match , dependent on the oppositions strip.

But I do believe they are bound by the AFLs H/A strip policy.
they're not at all. in most cases the home team will wear their home strip and the away team will just wear whatever doesn't clash with it. whenever west coast play the bulldogs in melbourne west coast wear their home jumper because their away jumper is royal blue.

sometimes i think people over complicate the afl's uniform policy. basically as long as the team's don't clash (in their view) the teams can wear whatever they want.

InCase

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
they're not at all. in most cases the home team will wear their home strip and the away team will just wear whatever doesn't clash with it. whenever west coast play the bulldogs in melbourne west coast wear their home jumper because their away jumper is royal blue.

sometimes i think people over complicate the afl's uniform policy. basically as long as the team's don't clash (in their view) the teams can wear whatever they want.

Apart from shorts... Black shorts on collingwood would stop the north clash yet they can't? The shorts rule is the issue.

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Apart from shorts... Black shorts on collingwood would stop the north clash yet they can't? The shorts rule is the issue.
the shorts rule isn't the issue. when geelong play north the away wore the home shorts so they'd have 1 team dark and 1 team light. the collingwood vs north issue wasn't shorts it was the stripes.

btw, this isn't my opinion of what clashes, it's my opinion of how the AFL see it

but anyway. as long as gold coast have at least 1 jumper that doesn't clash with a teams home and away jumpers they should be fine. (if that made sense)

InCase

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
the shorts rule isn't the issue. when geelong play north the away wore the home shorts so they'd have 1 team dark and 1 team light. the collingwood vs north issue wasn't shorts it was the stripes.

btw, this isn't my opinion of what clashes, it's my opinion of how the AFL see it

but anyway. as long as gold coast have at least 1 jumper that doesn't clash with a teams home and away jumpers they should be fine. (if that made sense)

Thought that only happened in finals which applies for pies/roos too. Collingwood all black, roos all white there is no clash we see it every pies home game vs north

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Thought that only happened in finals which applies for pies/roos too. Collingwood all black, roos all white there is no clash we see it every pies home game vs north
well you can try and tell the AFL that but i say they'd think it's the stripes are what clash.
my eyesights fine so i don't really care.

InCase

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
well you can try and tell the AFL that but i say they'd think it's the stripes are what clash.
my eyesights fine so i don't really care.

All we would have to say is look at collingwood home games vs north... The stripes are a problem when they blend with white shorts to make collingwood look blurishly white in fast play clashing with north. They key is the shorts. If the shorts can't change then yes we need to fix the stripes.

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
All we would have to say is look at collingwood home games vs north... The stripes are a problem when they blend with white shorts to make collingwood look blurishly white in fast play clashing with north. They key is the shorts. If the shorts can't change then yes we need to fix the stripes.
maybe, but they have changed shorts in recent north vs geelong matches (some were home and away matches) so the afl aren't strict on the home=dark shorts, away=white shorts policy. i think it's more a tradition that we're all just used to than something that the afl forces.
as for whether north and collingwood clash is a discussing for another thread but in the afl's eyes i'd they do.

May 23, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SwansCrowsPortFreoGCGWS

So realistically LeeArm, if any team has three strips to choose from, then no clash will occur. OK - so each team then must have three strips- is that the AFL policy.

In that case, GC has shown us two strips, do they need a third???

[I seem to remember Essendon wearing red shorts and Richmond gold shorts. Is that part of their third strip? Perhaps GC could wear gold shorts too as a third strip.]

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
So realistically LeeArm, if any team has three strips to choose from, then no clash will occur. OK - so each team then must have three strips- is that the AFL policy.

In that case, GC has shown us two strips, do they need a third???

[I seem to remember Essendon wearing red shorts and Richmond gold shorts. Is that part of their third strip? Perhaps GC could wear gold shorts too as a third strip.]

what? theres only like 2 teams that have a third strip.
essendon wear red shorts as heritage or with their clash jumper when playing st kilda. richmond only wore yellow shorts once for heritage.
as for afl policy it says you need 1 dark jumper and 1 light jumper (home or away) but it's confusing what they choose as dark and light. for instance west coast have their mainly dark blue jumper as a light jumper.
so basically, as i said before. just have 2 jumpers that don't clash with any teams other 2 jumpers and you'll be fine.

May 23, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SwansCrowsPortFreoGCGWS
I still reckon that the wearing of coloured shorts (rather than the mandatory áway' whites) is the way to go for many a team.

Bombers and Tigers look great in their red or yellow shorts.

The secret of the 'clashing strips' is to increase or decrease the proportion of the colours worn by the two teams, especially the similar colours.

Under that guise, coloured shorts significantly increases the proportional contrast between the two teams.

This is how GC can easily get around its red/yellow clash with any other team, especially the Swans, Crows, Demons, Bombers, Tigers, Hawks, Eagles.

Back