List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Josh Caddy + 56 traded to Richmond for 24 and 64

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't his call. He was contracted for two more years.
So? If the player agrees he can be traded. He was approached by Richmond, he wanted to play with Prestia. His call.

I just don't believe that Caddy went for that reason. There has to be be more to it.
It was his call. The salary relief for us sealed it.

I think, and I could be thinking out of turn, that YOTC was meaning that he went from required player (and reported that Geelong wouldn't include him in a Deledio deal) to being shipped out in the space of days.

I think, and I could be thinking out of turn, that YOTC was meaning that he went from required player (and reported that Geelong wouldn't include him in a Deledio deal) to being shipped out in the space of days.
There's no question about that. But as Cook explained when a player says they want to be somewhere else the philosophy is to let them go. That was what happened with Caddy. The salary cap relief was clearly a factor in that decision though because we are still paying 100% of the cap.

Yep, exactly my point. I find it incredulous that Caddy requested a trade when there was only, publicly in any case, support for him to stay from the club. He was apparently happy at Geelong so what happened to make that change?

Yep, exactly my point. I find it incredulous that Caddy requested a trade when there was only, publicly in any case, support for him to stay from the club. He was apparently happy at Geelong so what happened to make that change?
I don't really follow YOTC. Caddy said he had no intention of moving then Richmond approached him, he saw the opportunity to play with his mate Prestia so decided to give it ago. That's the public version. And it's pretty easy to infer they promised him more midfield time. Then Cook has explained the Geelong side of it. What's the source of incredulity?

Its been mentioned by Cook/CS that Caddy was wanting more MF time, and with the current list that was not a guarantee. Caddy was happy to stay and try for it, but when Tigers offered more MF time ( allegedly) and a 4 year deal with more $$ to boot his happiness to stay was superseded by those changing parameters.

Go Catters

I don't really follow YOTC. Caddy said he had no intention of moving then Richmond approached him, he saw the opportunity to play with his mate Prestia so decided to give it ago. That's the public version. And it's pretty easy to infer they promised him more midfield time. Then Cook has explained the Geelong side of it. What's the source of incredulity?

Maybe it's the cynic in me but that public version just doesn't wash with me. Caddy had already moved clubs once, was at a team where he was in the best 22 and one that was playing finals year after year. By all reports he was paid pretty well at Geelong too (hey, we got salary cap relief from him leaving remember). He then decides because a mate is going to play there (who he was happy to leave in GC when he left for Geelong) that he wants to go to a perennially losing club with a poor culture. Don't you find that just a bit fishy?

Maybe it's the cynic in me but that public version just doesn't wash with me. Caddy had already moved clubs once, was at a team where he was in the best 22 and one that was playing finals year after year. By all reports he was paid pretty well at Geelong too (hey, we got salary cap relief from him leaving remember). He then decides because a mate is going to play there (who he was happy to leave in GC when he left for Geelong) that he wants to go to a perennially losing club with a poor culture. Don't you find that just a bit fishy?
Maybe I'm not cynical enough but this set of facts I can completely understand:

1. Approached by another club who shows strong interest
2. Probably offered better coin/contract length
3. Offered more midfield time
4. Chance to play with a good mate
5. Probably a fair amount of bitterness at treatment by Geelong (i.e. not enough midfield time)

Plus, I would want to have a competing theory for the one staring me in the face before I got suspicious. What else could the explanation be?

If Caddy was a sharper tool, he might have thought it through a bit more before he agreed to move. Then again a couple of extra guaranteed years, more pay and your name in lights for 6 months would be very tempting.

5. Probably a fair amount of bitterness at treatment by Geelong (i.e. not enough midfield time)

Plus, I would want to have a competing theory for the one staring me in the face before I got suspicious. What else could the explanation be?

Hey, I just think he's a poor decision maker...........but we already knew that ;)

It stupid (for him not those on here) to think Caddy wouldn't get mor midfield time. But only if he commits to taking that spot. As he's shown more when playing forward while only teasing in the midfield.

I really like Caddy and was very hopeful of what he'd contribute to the team for many years. But it appears from the outside that twice he was presented with a challenge and took the easier way out.

Hopefully for him he can get some consistency but the Tigers are going to be a hard struggle and a lot more pressure than playing for Geelong.

Would've liked an earlier pick which I think he'd deserve. Parfitt looks like he'll be a good player but he will need time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His manager in this article put it all on Geelong (as a good manager should do so who knows the truth):

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...onsider-move-to-richmond-20161012-gs0x25.html

Perhaps if Geelong never made the failed bid for Deledio he would still be at Geelong.

His manager in this article put it all on Geelong (as a good manager should do so who knows the truth):

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...onsider-move-to-richmond-20161012-gs0x25.html

Perhaps if Geelong never made the failed bid for Deledio he would still be at Geelong.
Here are the quotes from Caddy himself that explain it all IMO:

"It's a bit of a funny feeling, it's something I didn't see coming a couple of weeks ago," Caddy said.

"I suppose that's footy, isn't it?

"I felt it was a good opportunity for me to further my career."

"That was probably the original reason why," Caddy said.

"Brett expressed a desire to go to Geelong and Geelong didn't have picks and my name was thrown up and it was put to me would I possibly think about that.

"That was the first time I really did think about it.

"That fell through, but Richmond were still really keen."

Caddy played 18 games this year, including both of Geelong's finals games, averaging 20.9 possessions per game, but had to fight for time in the midfield.

"I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a huge consideration in the decision," Caddy said.

"Geelong's midfield has so much depth with the players they have brought in in the last few years.

"Two weeks ago I was happy to stay and keep fighting for a spot in that midfield."

Caddy will also be reunited with former housemate Prestia, whose friendship started from their junior football days.

"When things transpired and he got wind of that, he was into me straight away," Caddy said.

"It definitely played a part, but it's not just Dion.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/geelong-midfielder-josh-caddy-traded-to-richmond

Couldn't stand over the last few years. Watching switched on players move the ball fast down the field like clockwork only to have some spud ruin it. Slowing down the play and taking 5 seconds to dispose of it, and by that time their backline is flooded.

Saw Caddy do exactly that tonight and for that reason alone am glad he's gone. It's a real pet hate of mine. Pretty sure Blicavs does it a lot but if I have him confused with others then my apologies to him.

Agree with these points CE and IMO it played out pretty much as listed:

The ego thing sits well with some players. IMO, being pursued would stroke his ego well enough.
Money talks - and he seems the $$ type.
This is big IMO. He wanted more and knew it would be limited with Sel, PFD, Scooter and Menegola in the frame.
I think he was happy with is GFC situation in solitary observations - however when the above factors got rolling and newer, shinier option presented itself, he became more willing to move on.

Overall, once GFC saw he'd been offered something that appealed to him, they figured take what was offered ( still a bit light but I get it) and wooloo loo.. we have Parfitt.

Go Catters

Couldn't stand over the last few years. Watching switched on players move the ball fast down the field like clockwork only to have some spud ruin it. Slowing down the play and taking 5 seconds to dispose of it, and by that time their backline is flooded.

Saw Caddy do exactly that tonight and for that reason alone am glad he's gone. It's a real pet hate of mine. Pretty sure Blicavs does it a lot but if I have him confused with others then my apologies to him.

Blicavs is the king of it.

Richmond upped their offer to 4 years (he had 2 remaining here) and a lot more money which is why he jumped.

The moving for prestia thing is just an excuse.

The moving for prestia thing is just an excuse.
Excuse for what? It's just one of many reasons he had. The others being contract length, coin and the promise of more midfield time (and being pissed off at Geelong for not giving him that).

Excuse for what? It's just one of many reasons he had. The others being contract length, coin and the promise of more midfield time (and being pissed off at Geelong for not giving him that).

All reports said he was happy at Geelong, and he'd recently bought a house there. Then he became open to a move to Richmond and left. Was quite clear that Geelong nudged him out. The fact that they accepted such awful compensation confirms that they felt they needed to move him on, likely for salary cap relief. Gotta pay Scott Selwood so he can rehab all season, though, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back